Lore Tidbits #6

Yup.

WC2’s setting is paper-thin; the different human kingdoms and orcish clans were basically invented to give some background to the variously colored factions in the game. It also had some elements that would feel out of place in Warcraft today, like crosses on churches.

Warcraft didn’t really become Warcraft until WC3, which both codified the setting’s aesthetic and introduced many classic D&D tropes and monsters (though often in a wildly different context), thus feeling much more like D&D homebrew than either WC1 or WC2 did.

3 Likes

It’s pretty clear given that the details are very much “they wear {colour} and they are angry/haughty/treacherous/nice/honourable (delete as appropriate)”.

1 Like

I am fairly certain it sprung from Metzen’s D&D games. Hell I remember it being mentioned in some book foreword or interview. I am trying to track down the source of my mania however.

Entirely probable I’m mistooketh.

After the events of Battle for Azeroth, the Zandalari are no longer “just” allies of the Horde - they are fully joined members, with Queen Talanji serving on the Horde Council.

Sauce: The Shadows Rising novel.

And it’s still a shame to this day.

Honestly, I do believe the Zandalari would be better off as allies and not member of the Horde. Same with the Forsaken and elves, tbf.

3 Likes

According to “The Favoured of Odyn”, it was the vrykul Heimir of the Black Fist who first trained mortals to be Warriors. Not a standard fighter, but the actual Warrior class who was significantly better than just someone with a blade in hand. If the legend is true, these teachings would be passed down for generations, and all Azeroth born Warriors today are part of Heimir’s legacy.

“Part owl, part bear… and part stag, which handily avoids potential lawsuits.”

It really does sum up a bunch of the setting, doesn’t it? Night elves were much more like wood elf viking drow at first, too. And as we know, the orc aesthetic by WC3 in looks and buildings is VERY Warhammer.

I guess that handily explains the obviously supernatural abilities like thunderclap.

2 Likes

Yeah. Warrior supernatural abilities can be seen as using Titanforged techniques. I’d assume Avatar, Storm Bolt and similar lightning-themed abilities all stem from Heimir’s tutorage of some of the first mortals to learn to become Warriors.

That’s one of the better parts of warrior RP. You can be real fast and loose with how you explain the stuff you do. Titanforged abilities, magic, engineering or being REAL FRIGGIN ANGERY.

Not to mention shamanist totem magic and warmagery.

Considering that is the whole fantasy around FURY speak yes, warriors can quite well do the “THIS MAN IS TOO ANGRY TO DIE” trope without it looking forced, since its actually an integral part of the class.

Warriors love Windfury Totem.

1 Like

Was that genuinely state that they fully joined though. People have been saying it didn’t rly go on like that.

Sabellian’s true origins as a black dragon are known to SI:7. And according to them, he’s still on Outland and currently not posing a threat.

Imagine the SI:7 knowing but Wrathion doesn’t.

I mean really, the SI:7 is such an easily manipulated, controlled organisation that everything they know should be common knowledge by now, what with the infiltration by demons and cultists… multiple times.

My guess is that by simply being members, those who were turned were aware of methods used by the organisation for detection, and used that knowledge to work around them and work undetected.

Thats actually could be just a brillant move
Like the theory, why the Tal Shiar, the intelligence agency of the Romulan Empire is so bad in its job, horrendous in fact in a spectacular way; they are easy to fool, and manipulate and can’t find anything, not even when its under their nose; they are basically the laughingstock of the other major power’s agencies…
…and thats the trick; they are just a decoy, the fools in the sportligh and they not even realised THAT, the are so bad in their job, their porpouse is to draw attention to themself and plant the idea, “oh the Tal Sihar, scary, and all, but nothing serious… easy to fool, and a galactic power’s secret agency tells smuch about the power it “servers”, Romulans… old news, eh?”
While the real secret agency is doing its job, so good, nobody even know they exist, and everyone underestamate the Romulan Empire untill is too late
SI:7 could be such a “decoy”
The oh-so-secret - that everyone knows exist - and cool and infallible secret police, agency of the Alliance…
…that everybody could manipulate, infiltrate, and overall, they are so bad, they are incapapble to find their own behind even with a map and two sherpa guides. And they are the secret eyes and protectors from the shadow… heh… Alliance, right? Such an easy prey…
Would explain a lot actually…

2 Likes

The Army of the Light uses crystal pylons to transport their troops across distant worlds.

Lightbound Runestone - Wowpedia - Your wiki guide to the World of Warcraft (fandom.com)

You must construct additional pylons!

1 Like

En taro Velen.

2 Likes

Hi there friendo

Beside the five main realms, two other Shadowlands afterlives have been revealed so far: Craftenium, as mentioned on a sinstone in Revendreth https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Archetus_the_Mad_Designer, and the ‘Inn of Forever’, namedropped on a Korthian relic in 9.1. https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Bulwark_of_Divine_Intent.

1 Like