Lore Tidbits #6

I freely extrapolate that subsequent loophole abusing secret tigerfish cookouts is the reason the fish is now so rare.

1 Like

Here is a lore tidbit I rarely see remembered
(ofc retcons may apply)

The Dead Scar that goes through the blood elven lands is not fix-able
one of the early quests in Eversong have you collect soil samples which are then analyzed and the results:
“My endeavors are hopeless, . The very nature of the soil has been altered… the taint is irreversible. Thank you for your assistance. I’ll need to ask one last task of you.”

Whatever damage was done to the land, is not just simple plague, which can be healed as seen in the plaguelands, this is something worse.

The quest is called “Corrupted Soil” if you fancy searching for it yourself.

8 Likes

Tauren surnames, at least those of Kalimdor tauren, are tied to the tribe they belong to. This doesn’t necessarily mean that you are related to the chieftain of the tribe in any way, just being a part of the group. While a tauren may choose a new surname, it seems most don’t. Therefore, a roleplayer could have the shared surname of a notable tauren figure, such as Runetotem or even Bloodhoof, but not be related to Hamuul or Cairne/Baine in any way. Grimtotems are a great example of this.

1 Like

Warcraft is a semi-original and pretty fresh (for its time) take on D&D tropes, with divergent aesthetics and a sprinkle of nice original ideas. Metzen and company borrowed from D&D liberally, but for the most part made sure to put their own spin on their versions.

The RPG, on the other hand, often just lifted things from D&D wholesale, like mephits, hill giants, and phase spiders. A lot of its class mechanics was also taken from D&D without any effort to make them distinct. The first edition (Warcraft RPG) was especially guilty of this, the second edition (World of Warcraft RPG) not so much because it had WoW game mechanics to use as a basis.

2 Likes

They straight up copypasted text from D&D material to the point where it didn’t fit in context. It’s also the source of the misconception of wizards and sorcerers being different things and various paladin immunities.

2 Likes

I’m fairly sure the lifespans of a bunch of races were just straight copy pasted from their 3.x DnD equivalents.

And then there’s some races that we STILL don’t know how they age. How long do trolls live!? NOBODY KNOWS.

1 Like

too long :dagger:

9 Likes

we gonna cut the statistical average life expectancy of trolls in half

1 Like

I actually liked this, incorporated it into my character, and was quite disappointed when it was made non-canon. I know it was taken from D&D, but it’s far better than just having a bunch of different words for mages with absolutely no different meanings.

2 Likes

You still have cultural variance, like nightborne and draenei calling it arcanist, elves having sorceresses and the zandalari arcanitals.

Tidbit: The Alliance bases on Zandalar were abandoned when the current armistice was signed.

Speculation: I feel it’s a safe bet to assume the same for the Horde outposts on Kul Tiras.

Well, we know Rastakhan was ridiculously old, and lived for many troll lifetimes, and he was only 200 or something.

So I’d say about the same as humans and pandaren, really.

… what I meant is that Warcraft quite literally started as a D&D setting made by Metzen. That is literally what we’re playing, a massively built upon D&D homebrewed module.

Really? Source?

It seems a bit weird, considering the wide plethora of ideas they had for Warcraft 1 back in the 90s. Ranging from what we actually got to orcs invading the modern day world with dragons.

You mean, that it was originally intended to be a warhammer game? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But yeah, they had some out there ideas for what they wanted to do, it being a series in which each game was in a different era coulda been interesting for sure.

Need some more 1800s fantasy tbh.

It applies to the elder scrolls.

It actually applies more to Elder Scrolls. Warcraft’s setting was an excuse plot for Warcraft 1 and Metzen wasn’t particularly influential to it beyond some art and documentation work there. Warcraft doesn’t really get a “setting” until Warcraft 2 where Metzen was more influential and even there it’s very off the shelf fantasy.

It’s DnD inspired because its made by American nerds in the 90s rather than because it’s actively based on a DnD setting someone made.

4 Likes

Honestly, being inspired by DnD is completely par for the course in fantasy that it should always just be assumed

1 Like