Lore Tidbits #6

I don’t have the means to locate the piece of lore right away
but I think it is in Duskwood where it is mentioned Draenei tails are quite useful to necromancers, something about a potent reagent in potions or something.

It’s from Ashran.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Draenei_Tail

2 Likes

You’re right about it being lore, but I recall it being from a WoD item description

1 Like

I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned, but Worgen senses are apperently so astute, that they are able to see auras, magical or blessings of any kind.

In ‘Wolfheart’, Genn and the other Worgens was able to see the aura of Goldrinn’s blessing on Varian that desginated him as his own champion.

But is that because it was the aura of Goldrinn, or just because it was an aura?

1 Like

The logical conclusion to me, there, is that they sense it because their own “blessing” is goldrinn’s, too. I wouldn’t say it says anything about any other figure’s blessings

1 Like

We really don’t need another race/class/whatever that can sniff (heh) out magic without any effort.

1 Like

The worgen curse does more than heighten physical senses, and worgen can see things that no normal human can, such as auras. -WoW Wiki.

There.

can you link the page?

also i’d advice against ever using wowwiki as a source because they have a mind-boggling love for inventing their own lore by over-extrapolating from actual lore, which i suspect is the case here. Wowpedia is much more reliable.

Always remember that wikis are community-driven projects, and not worked on by the actual authors of settings.

4 Likes

That I have not managed to find anywhere on Wowwiki related to worgen, even still, that would be sourced from them seeing Goldrinn’s aura on Varian. Thus it would likely still be as Tehya said.

Whomever created Wowwiki also believes RPG lore is still canon.

Now, lore tidbit - Stromgarde “stole” the colour red from Alterac; when Thoradin united the human tribes, the primary colour of the Alteraci Tribe was red, and the descendants of their leader, Ignaeus Trollbane, eventually became the kings of Stromgarde. So Alteraci hatin’ Stromics best remember the origins of their own king.

1 Like

No, it’s on Wowpedia. Under the section of magic on the Worgen ability to see auras.

As a worgen (warlock) RPer, I have to say I hope it isn’t true that every worgen can detect every aura, that’d be rather dull. If it were limited to anything to do with Goldrinn, fair enough.

1 Like

Aha, which is sourced on the thing from Wolfheart you already pointed out. That is worgen being able to see the aura of a blessing from Goldrinn, their own ‘patron’.

It doesn’t really show any other type of aura, blessing or whatever being something they can pick up.

https://static2.gamerantimages.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/world-of-warcraft-zekhan.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=960&h=500

Jungle Troll fur is (seemingly) non-canon; or, at the least, retconned. It was mentioned off-handedly here:

Description : The jungle trolls’ bodies are covered in short, soft fur that causes the trolls to appear purple or gray. Jungle trolls are also unusually lithe relative to other trolls.

However, this fur has never appeared in-game on the models, nor has it been referred to in the plethora of novels concerning trolls. Zekhan’s cinematic model shows that a Jungle Troll’s skin is leathery, like a toad (explaining the warts). Looking at Zekhan’s head, you can see the details of his shaved hairline, with his hair colour being red contrasted to his blue skin. The fur comment could have either been a miscommunication or something Blizzard simply forgot about; either way, the page describing this fur no longer exists, and one of the earliest WoW concept art for trolls (https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/wowpedia/images/8/8f/JungleTroll.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/672?cb=20110204023026) displays smooth, Orc-like skin.

Forest Troll moss, on the other hand, has some precedent in-game; though, it’s inconsistent.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/wowpedia/images/f/fd/Forest_Troll_%28MoP%29.png/revision/latest?cb=20170406153811
The above model is one of the very few troll models displaying what looks like fur.

Zul’jin, however:
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/wowpedia/images/9/99/Zul%27jin_HS.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/468?cb=20181104065244
Clearly his skin is bare; the artist wasn’t told to make the character look furry, or even mossy.

Though a Loa, Mueh’zala for one does display some sort of fur, or at least hair:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EXcQabOXQAIxhd0.jpg
It’s solely around his chest, but it is there.

Conclusion? Blizzard can’t decide whether trolls have fur or not; but, nine out of ten troll models and art pieces (in recent years) show them almost entirely furless.

2 Likes

Did you mean fur? Unless I’m missing something (quite possible, am oblivious), I don’t see any moss on the trolls you linked.

The human body is also covered in a thin layer of “fur” or hairs some of which are barely visible if you don’t have a closer look.

perhaps troll hair or moss is small and fine, to a point where it almost have to be felt, rather than seen.
the effects of the fine hair seems mainly to explain their different skin tones anyway, something which is a neat detail I wish we had for more races.

Just going by what wowpedia describes; it’s always talked about forest trolls being green because their bodies naturally sport vegetation like moss. But, again like troll fur in general, this was only mentioned once over a decade ago.

I’d be inclined to agree, because looking at frost troll models they also have fur, which leaves zandalari and jungle trolls as the only models/art without fur. It’s just an odd detail about the race that RPers tend to refer to a lot whilst Blizzard themselves can’t really agree on its existence.

I imagine it’s been said before but there do seem to be humans native to Northrend - but they aren’t lame smelly pseudo-Vikings…

Research the Trappers. Expand your mind.

1 Like

If only. :pensive:
Human Norsemen would be way cooler than the lame-o giant Norsemen we have.

Bless Vrykul’s for keeping most nordaboos at bay

1 Like