Lore Tidbits #6

My human only dresses like a vrykul, but thats about it (I love that armor).

That said, I do wish they’d done some more with Northrend humans, whats their culture, which kingdom(s) do they hail from etc.

1 Like

Presumably either Kul Tiras or Gilneas, considering they respectively are and were the two premier sea-faring human nations in Azeroth. But the topic of humans in Northrend is also touched upon in Old Hillsbrad Foothills, with the Ashbringer event. They had entire cities in Northrend at some point.

Commander Mograine says: I hear things… Things that should not be.
Commander Mograine says:The dead rise… Undead, from the frozen northlands. Whole cities have gone missing. I…
Commander Mograine says: I have heard that Northrend is lost…

2 Likes

this is basically it. 2011+ has just been oversatured with nordaboos.

vikings were lame and here’s my 10K word rant about it. . .

Anglo-Saxons are cooler anyway.

1 Like

Counterpoint

Vikings were cool actually.

Just not for the reasons nordaboos tend to go with.

1 Like

The virgin horned helm double-axe berserker vs the CHAD nasal helm shielded huscarl in mail

6 Likes

I actually rather like this. My theory is that some trolls have fur, while others do not- Even in the same species. The amount of fur can also vary, though forest and ice trolls seem to have the most of it.

This is because as I’ve theorized before, zandalari trolls ultimately most likely hail their ancestry from some sort of a synapsid loa/wild god, namely a sabertusk, though there is no info on one. However, the resemblance is uncanny and even the cat form takes the form of one. Also, since trolls primarily sport mammalian features (dedicated earbones, differentiated teeth, long gestation, breasts etc), this seems likely.

How’s this relevant to some trolls having fur while some have none? Well, earlier synapsids such as diemetrodon don’t seem to have had any fur, but had a rather leathery appearance. However, later on in the Permian most synapsids started to have some form of fur or at least hair-like structures, such as Gorgonopsids. We do not know how much they were covered in fur however, we just know some of them had some.

This inconsistency of fur then appears in the later on trolls; While Zandalari trolls for example appear more reptilian with their scaly shoulders, arms and other body parts, they still have hair on their head. Other trolls also share this feature, but some of them (namely some forest / ice trolls) have more fur covering. But there can be great variation among the same species still.

I like it. It’s a good look on real life morphology and differentiation in species: I’m sure you know some people that are near hairless, and others that have hair just about everywhere!

4 Likes

I, Gor’kamp Ragnarsson, want to know your location.

[Airwolf theme in the distance]

1 Like

Vikings are extremely oversaturated and it feels like every fantasy setting has their own brand of warrior/seafarer northmen who like to fight and raid and all of them are interchangeable bar the specifics of the setting, like Gods or whatever.

2 Likes

Finally got around to the Witcher 3, and I kinda like how the Skellige people are inspired by the Norse-Gaels. You don’t get a lot of fantasy representations of Celtic-Nord descendants, so it’s cool that the zone has both viking and Gaelic vibes. Plus they’re all sounding like a Belfast detective.

4 Likes

The Stoneborne of Revendreth do sometimes write poetry. And even though they are constructs, they can choose to eat and drink like regular creatures.

1 Like

"The old eredar believed in the value of phrenology - the measurement of skull in order to divine mental aptitude.

Believing that an eredar’s mental faculties, such as willpower, memory, and perception, could be attributed to the shape and size of various protuberances on that individual’s skull, it was theorized that skulls of proficient spellcasters could channel magical energies even after death."

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Eredar

Personally didn’t know that, but I guess it explains the demonology warlock artifact from Legion.

6 Likes

This is also supported by the Jed’hin lore; martial arts where Eredar clashed their heads first. It seems like being thick skulled was the fad on Argus.

3 Likes

It’s probably been said in a previous thread, but you know those massive hammers that paladins have? They’re not that heavy, or at least they don’t feel heavy to the paladin holding it. This is shown in Rise of the Lich King when Arthas first picks his hammer up after being knighted.

I like to think that means a paladin can be pretty deceptive if they’re carrying a one handed mace that looks light and probably wouldn’t hurt too much, only for it to break your arm when it hits you.

1 Like

So I I just remebered; before Teldrassil was burned the Night Elven Mage Trainers, who were all Shen’dralar Highborne, solely trained Night Elf Mages.

If any other race would try to learn from them they would rattle on about the secrets of the Highborne and the younger races not being…

I can’t seem to find a source for it at the moment, but I will check for it later on!

2 Likes

It doesn’t feel heavy in their grips because during the ritual that makes one a Knight of the Silver Hand, the would be paladin is anointed both figurately and literally with the Light - first they are individually blessed by the paladin leaders present, then the gathered clergy and paladins call upon the Light to give strength to their comrade and bless him as one.

It’s why, as Arthas’ faith began to wane and he started to doubt himself, Light’s Vengeance began to grow heavier in his grip.

4 Likes

Apparently fel magic smells like rotten eggs, or at least fel-based portals. E.g. Illidan mentions this in the Well of Eternity dungeon: “The stench of sulfur and brimstone. These portals are as foul as the demons themselves”.

1 Like

Vikings were clean people tho.

The torturer assigned to Kael’thas within Castle Nathria is called ‘High Torturer Darithos’, whose name is probably a reference to Marshal Garithos from Warcraft 3, a racist human that hated elves and did his best to get Kael killed.

Venthyr being in the presence of a Naaru (albeit a weakened one) doesn’t seem to harm them, despite their vulnerability to Light. It seems the Light must be directly focused on a venthyr to cause them harm, rather than a passive aura.