Lore Tidbits #6

Man, Garrosh really was the greatest warchief the Horde never had.

1 Like

And there he stood. Haldrissa first recognized Garrosh by his stance. He was absolute master of the battlefield. He waved his foul weapon over his head, and even from where she was, Haldrissa imagined she could hear the axe’s wail.

Haldrissa was an officer under Shandris’s command who tried to suicide run at Garrosh in the hopes of taking him down with her after Tyrande was presumed dead in the archer ambush.

Though she failed to kill him, she ended up getting hold of Garrosh’s trumpeter’s war horn which was used to issue commands and tried to call a retreat for the Horde forces (having learned the pattern from previous battles), then got intercepted. Her death felt really poignant and showed an interesting perspective on honour between warriors on the battlefield.

“You fought bravely,” she heard the older orc grumble. “You fought cleverly. You don’t deserve such slow, painful dying, night elf.”

Somehow she nodded. What he said made perfect sense. She had fought long and hard for her people. It was time to rest. If only the pain would go away, she could rest.

The axe caught her along the throat, cutting deep and at last rewarding Haldrissa’s valor with rest.

The night elf had fought bravely, and as such Garrosh’s honour guard granted her a swift mercy kill to respect the dying warrior’s sacrifice and end her suffering. Her wound was mortal, but the death from it would have been slow and painful.

1 Like

Meanwhile to-be-redeemedvanas currently has a crisis on whether she wants to be like Arthas or not after pulling an Arthas and making sure to make her opponent at the time, Delaryn, suffers as much as possible in her last moments

stop, you’ll almost make me an orcposter with how much better garrosh is looking here :pain:

3 Likes

To give night elves some credit here as well, their glaives are particularly deadly. Despite the tough skin that acts as a natural armour for orcs and their ability to tank arrows, a Sentinel’s glaive isn’t it.

The glaive can shred through armour, all but cleaving through an orc. It flies incredibly fast and returns to the hand after being thrown. It takes dozens of arrows to down an orc, but the glaive is an exceptionally deadly weapon. One orc nearly gets decapitated during Haldrissa’s charge for Garrosh as she hurls it across the river; another one gets his side cleaved open through armour and falls into the bloodied waters.

Also nightsaber riders are trained to stay on the cat’s back even when the feline starts climbing up a tree to pursue a fleeing enemy. They are agile climbers.

2 Likes

It is also very likely that the demon hunter fighting style is of night elf origin. Especially when people say that Tyrande in For Teldrassil is fighting with a demon hunter-like style.

1 Like

Too add to the lore tidbits thread (now that I am rereading Exploring Azeroth: Eastern Kingdoms).

Arathi Highlands:
Stromgarde Keep was already under Alliance control before the Fourth War and reconstruction started around the same time as the Horde started constructing Ar’gorok, it also never fell in-Lore to the Horde once.

Ar’gorok is haunted by the vengeful ghosts of the fallen and slain Horde soldiers, angry at their defeat they seek vengeance against Stromgarde and the Alliance.

King Danath Trollbane wishes to be cremated so he can never be risen like Thoras and Galen were.

The Church seen in pre-BFA Stromgarde is known as the Sanctum and, in-Lore, still exists in the rebuild Stromgarde Keep. Danath Trollbane allows SI:7 agents to check the crypt reguraly to ensure nothing changes as both Thoras and Trol’kalar are now gone (which was a surprise to the SI:7 agents visiting the crypt).

Also, it seems Thoras wrote a memorial verse either before he died, or after he was risen, in his crypt that gave hints to the whereabouts of Lordaeron’s crown.

"Here lie, Alone, the last of mortal bones

of one who walked 'midst kings and crowns and >thrones.

Once strong and bold, of trolls, the very bane

ah, Thoras, how doth fortune wax and wane.

I now am carrion; to dust return’d

mark ye well the lesson I have learn’d:

No man or king forever lives-lay down

all that keeps your spirit worldly bound;

your bow, your steel, your crown incarnadine,

prepare to keep the secret that was mine.

Bury it, forget it, and leave it lost.

For others come the Light, but not for me

tread not my path: do not an island be."

The Alliance (or the humans atleast) see what Calia did during The Gathering as something done out of compassion (and not her breaking her promise).

Also, apparently Anduin buried those Forsaken that died here. “It was our King who buried them and placed markers on these twelve graves”.

I’ll probably add more as I get along :smiley:

5 Likes

Please do!

As revealed in the Lords of War episode with Grom, it was after his ordeal at the hands of the ogre imperator that “From that day forward, the Warsong rallied to the banner of Grommash Hellscream.” Previously it was implied that the previous chieftain had been usurped by Grom through some underhanded means, but Lords of War seems to imply that he was originally a raider of high rank, and that his defiance of death via starvation (alongside taking on the whole ogre army alone) is what earned the Warsong’s trust. Perhaps the previous chieftain lost favour from their clan after this, and Grom challenged them to mak’gora and won? A little tidbit from WoD I gave some thought to.

I had no idea there were any Trollbanes even alive still

This seems less like lore and more like speculation I’m afraid to say

Funny 'cuz it’s known that won’t save you. Several instances of getting necro’d seem to reconstitute a whole body from nothing but dust and toenail clippings but I guess it’s good lore that a character is deeply wrong about something important.

The absolute fools. Can we have a new intelligence agency yet? Others manage to be nigh omnipotent.

With a lot of time on their hands, most night elven civilians have learned to fight with bows and/or daggers.

All who could walk were pressed into service. Even those generally regarded as civilians—tailors, food merchants, innkeepers—had learned over centuries how to fight well enough to defend themselves. Those few who could not—mothers with infant children, the wounded—had been portaled to Stormwind when the magi arrived.
Delaryn watched, feeling wretched, as those she had ostensibly been sent here to protect joined their Sentinel sisters in racing silently across the bridges, armed with bows and daggers.

• Elegy, p. 40
3 Likes

The Bloodfin tribe are one of the few murloc tribes to resist naga enslavement. This implies that most of the murloc tribes we meet in the game are naga servants.

Murgle - Wowpedia - Your wiki guide to the World of Warcraft (gamepedia.com)

1 Like

A soft smile curved his lips as he beheld his brethren, his fellow Knights of the Silver Hand, doing their duties here as surely as they had on the battlefield. Archbishop Alonsus Faol had created the order three years ago, and it was by his decree that the paladins now served humbly in the communities that had been so devastated by the war. Even as he looked around, Turalyon saw his old friend Uther, whom he himself had given the title “Lightbringer.” Turalyon was used to seeing the powerfully built man in full armor, swinging his weapon, his ocean-colored eyes afire with zeal as the Light came to him in the form of powerful attacks. But Uther now was clad in simple robes. He was attending to a woman who looked exhausted and drained, gently wiping her forehead with a damp cloth and cradling something in his free hand.

As Turalyon drew closer, he saw that the bundle Uther held so gently was a newborn, its skin still mottled from birth. The new mother smiled tiredly but happily and reached for her child. Its lusty, healthy wail was the sharp, sweet song of hope. Uther rested his hand on the woman and blessed her and her child, as Turalyon had done with the orphans earlier. Turalyon realized that although Uther was obviously at home on the battlefield, using the Light to take the lives of those who would slay him and those he served, he was equally at home here in the cathedral, bringing a new little life into the world. Such was the dichotomy of paladins; they were warriors and healers both.

In the aftermath of the Second War, the first five Paladins personally helped deliver babies at the Cathedral which was one of the first buildings reconstructed in Stormwind after the war.

If your character was born in Stormwind within three years after the Second War, you were personally delivered into this world by Uther, Turalyon, Tirion, Saidan or Gavinrad.

9 Likes

Brokers are foreign to the concept of teamwork battle in arenas, or similar contests.

Observing Teamwork - Wowpedia - Your wiki guide to the World of Warcraft (gamepedia.com)

That alone is making me want to make a character with such background.

1 Like

I hate it when people RP their paladins as just warriors with flashy powers and nothing else. Paladins are healers for %&#"! sake! I’ve seen paladins say they can’t heal a simple stab wound and whatever.

10 Likes

Weird flex from those paladins.

But alright :man_shrugging:

I played a Paladin who’s healing skills weren’t as good as his combat skills, but that was about as far as I took it. He wasn’t skilled at it, but he was entirely capable of it.

That’s entirely fair. People just forget that EVERY paladin spec has multiple healing spells and they get them in the first few levels.

1 Like

Alright, more Exploring Azeroth: Eastern Kingdoms.

Stormwind City’s SI:7 knows every inch of the city (according to Shaw) and they have “friends” in every quarter of the city that sell goods, listen in to conversations and keep their eyes out on SI:7’s behalf (sounds very stasi, really).

Deathwing destroyed vast sections of the city during the Cataclysm.

All the city’s structures are built from the same white stone that was used in the Cathedral and Keep, and it was done on purpose that every quarter has its own roof colours. (Also, the Stonemason’s skill and distinctive style is visible in how the Cathedral and Keep are built).

Edwin vanCleef was already trained in the “arts” of stealth and subterfuge as a Stonemason and used those skills to form the Defias Brotherhood.

Mathias Shaw considers the death of Queen Tiffin Wrynn and the rise of the Defias Brotherhood a stain on SI:7 to this day. (Let’s ignore all their failures of how much the Throne Room or various cities around the Kingdom where infiltrated by one cult or another!)

Stormwind Keep is mostly open to citizens of the Kingdom and Alliance, only the King’s private quarters and the War Room are basicly offlimits and citizens can often be seen wandering through the gardens.

It’s heavily implied that Anduin looks over the city from one of the Keep’s massive towers to study how the masses move and that SI:7’s spies (in)frequently use those towers to watch over the city too.

(there’s more Stormwind lore, but I’m using pictures on my imgur account because the book’s at my dad’s place. Gonna go pick it up soon again).

Zul’Gurub, while according to Cataclysm under Darkspear and Zandalari control, is according to the book still under local troll control and a very dangerous place. The proclivities of Hakkar the Soulflayer remains strong in his followers even a thousand years later and the trolls are brutal, violent and swift. (so, the Gurubashi trolls are either Hakkar followers or the SI:7 thinks they are). Many treasure seekers enter the ancient city seeking treasures but the majority never return. The combination of dangerous jungle and Hakkar’s lingering influence ensures that SI:7 agents tend to avoid Stranglethorn unless specifically ordered to go there.

I’ll get more updates on here soon™ I’ve also dug up the UVG and the Chronicles books again to get lore tidbits!

2 Likes