Lore Tidbits #6

I think this is a "low fantasy" thing tbh.

If they wanna be low fantasy, why roll a paladin? WHy not a simple warrior?

I recall my paladins words were “I suggest you pick up your tome more often than your sword. You’re embarrassing the Silver Hand with this nonsense.”

He did not like me saying that.

2 Likes

And this is one of the reasons why you’ve got to have beta readers. So they can tell you about unintentionally creepy undertones like this.

At least, I hope it was unintentionally creepy. Because I can draw only two possible conclusions here:

1. The writer didn’t notice how this makes SI:7 sound like a totalitarian secret police that doesn’t fit the intended characterization of Stormwind. Therefore, the writer is incompetent.
  2. This was intentional, and was meant to give the ostensibly noble kingdom of Stormwind an ugly underside. However, this theme is not properly reinforced or given further development in the rest of the book, making the reader likely to miss it. Therefore, the writer is incompetent.
3 Likes

The Alliance in WoW has had undertones of being a bit into creepy police state stuff since vanilla. It’s just it never really get’s focused on between the “knights in shining armour” and the “beleaguered and overstretched” plot beats. SI:7 particular has always alternated between bumbling but well meaning and sinister secret police.

2 Likes

For the record, that would make your character about 26-28 years old, depending on how you interpret the timeline

3 Likes

Broker members of Cartel Ta speak of each other as “cartel associates”, which in their own words is comparable to mortals being family.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Matriarch_Ta%27dolla

My take on this is total headcanon, and the actual reason is probably that Blizz can be a little inconsistent with their tones, themes, and writing, but I like to imagine that maybe the whole heroic, bravado-filled shining armour fellow is how the Alliance represents their guards and soldiers, and given that they have the authority, it’s hard for any negative press or consequences to come to them.

But yeah it’s probably just Blizzard forgetting the tone they set from one expac to another.

Stone is VERY rare in Ardenweald, so what we may see as rocky formations in Ardenweald are very likely great wooden trunks or other large pieces of wood. The mineral nodes we find in Ardenweald, especially Phaedrum, seems to be a sort of tree sap that has solidified and take on minable properties. I believe in another quest, it was stated that stone does not occur naturally in Ardenweald, so any stone found is of a foreign origin.

Unknown Assailants - Wowpedia - Your wiki guide to the World of Warcraft (gamepedia.com)

Droman Tashmur says: Stone? A rare find in Ardenweald. The forest does not recognize the song coming from this. It reeks of hate and broken branches.

1 Like

In Warcraft Legends: Volume Three, under the story “I Got What Yule Need” a goblin is seen saying to the protagonist “Ix-nay” which is clearly Pig Latin in reality, so it seems the argot does exist in WoW. Though it is likely called “Pig ‘insert language’” due to the sheer variety of languages in Warcraft. Maybe “Quill ‘insert language’” could be a term in homage to the quillboar, and people may say you sound like a quillboar if you aim to use the argot. Just a bit of suggested headcanon for the last bit!

1 Like

it’s just translating the Common language idiom to the closest english equivalent :slight_smile:

Yeah, but I like it that the argot does exist as a method of wordgame like in real life.

Does anyone know if there is an explanation for this rock in Wor’gol?

My immediate thought was that each handprint might be from a chieftain taking over the clan from their parent, but I can’t find anything on wowpedia.

It’s a shamanstone.

“We have a rite of initiation in my clan. When one comes of age, they cover themselves in the blood of their first hunt, and rest their hands upon a shamanstone to honor the ancestors who came before them.” - Farseer Drek’thar

https://www.wowhead.com/quest=33816/honor-has-its-rewards

No idea whether the central Wor’gol shamanstone differs from the lesser ones found around the zone however.

5 Likes

On top of this, another factor of the coming of age among Frostwolves is to carve their lineage in the horn of a talbuk from their first kill as far back as there is room. In Azeroth they substitute a local alternative with the rams of Alterac having large enough horns for the purpose.

I don’t see any reason why other clans wouldn’t practice these as they’re fairly innocuous but give a neat flavour to clan tradition.

4 Likes

There was that stone that the Shadowmoon clan carved their names into, but AU Ner’zhul shattered it to prove his loyalty to the Iron Horde. No idea what happened to the MU one, but it was likely also destroyed. Chances are the more spiritual clans perform such practices.

3 Likes

There’s a type of spirit mentioned in Day of the Dragon as the “Will-o’-the-wisp” that seems to inhabit the Twisting Nether. They are known for vanishing from sight. It’s unknown if they are related to actual wisps in any way, but their penchant for vanishing is a part of their real life variant: a glowing light that pulls travellers off the beaten path, deep into the wilds, where they then vanish and leave the traveller lost.

Applying CPR to the thread and adding a tiny tidbit of lore. Mages can record messages in so-called Resonate Crystals, complete with a transparent projection of themselves upon activation.

1 Like

In the old RPG lore, contact with Voidwalkers actually caused people to relive their most horrible memories, which is a really cool explanation for their taunting abilities, and it’d be cool if that was confirmed to still be canon.

Thank you! This will definitely come up in my future RP.