Lore Tidbits Thread 4

TIL of the Phantasm Zone. The Stockade is suddenly looking a little low maintenance as far as prisons go.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Phantasm_Zone

They made it for a gnome, A GNOME!

I love it.

Human mages acquired the Invisibility spell from priestly teachings.

Invisibility
Gleaned from sacred tomes rescued from the debris of Northshire Abbey, this spell grants the ability to cloud the perceptions of others so that they cannot perceive the physical existence of the caster’s target.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Warcraft_II:_Tides_of_Darkness_manual#Mage_Spells

And Medivh was there, for to Khadgar it could be no other. He was a man of middling years, his hair long and bound in a ponytail in the back. In his youth his hair had likely been ebon black, but now it was already turning gray at the temples and along the beard. Khadgar knew that this happened to many mages, from the stress of the magical energies they wielded.

Magic is known to grey one’s hair over time. We see in Tides of War that fel magic especially bleaches your hair really quickly with the constantly reoccurring human female warlock being described as having unnaturally white hair for her otherwise youthful looks as a result of the volatile magics she wields. Not to mention Jaina’s hair bleached from the arcane energies she was bombarded with.

“What is he like?” asked Khadgar, his voice almost pleading.
“Like everyone else, I suppose,” said Moroes. “Has his druthers. Has his moods. Good days and bad. Like everybody else.”
“Puts his pants on one leg at a time,” said Khadgar, sighing.
“No. He levitates into them,” said Moroes.

Also chad mages levitate themselves into clothes when they get dressed

Edit: Bonus round

Khadgar wondered if Medivh’s mother was here when the land rose, or sank, or was struck by a piece of the sky. Eight hundred years was long even by the standards of a wizard. After two hundred years, most of the old object lessons taught, most human mages were deathly thin and frail.

Human mages live longer with 200 being their max lifespan. Aegwynn living to be over 800 was considered an anomaly, and many mages thought Aegwynn was simply a title inherited by a line of female mages to explain the name cropping up through out centuries.

Medivh being in his forties was considered relatively young – for a mage.

5 Likes

With Arcane potentially doubling the lifespan of Humans, would that mean Elven Magi can grow up to between 9,000 and 12,000 year old, or even older due to the whole Lorash-shenanigans? :thinking:

Orcish society used to be super misogynistic before Thrall’s New Horde!

Classic quest “Crossroads Conscription”

I see that look in your eyes, do not think I will tolerate any insolence. Thrall himself has declared the Hordes females to be on equal footing with you men. Disrespect me in the slightest, and you will know true pain.

The quest turn in NPC has different dialogue based on the player’s gender!

1 Like

All Dragon breath attacks set fire to their intended goal, doesn’t matter if its the

Black Dragon’s Magma breath,
Red Dragon’s Fire breath,
Green Dragon’s Nature breath,
Bronze Dragon’s Sand breath,
Blue Dragon’s Arcane breath,
or the Nether-, Infinite-, Chromatic-, Twilight-, Storm-, Nightmare-, Frostbrood-, or Plagued- Dragon(flight)s breath attacks.

Ofcourse its a headcanon but I base myself upon the Hyjal Quest called "Flames From Above "!

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/646808945280811031/713807763586678784/Green_Dragon_fire_2.jpg

Help me, lore boffins. I been trying to do searches on it, but all I really find is a lot of talk about gameplay changes or discussion about the reaction to WC3:Reforge.

So, what lore amendments, additions or clarifications did the WC3 Reforge provide for and about blood elves, if anything?

nothing iirc, purist ruined it from what I understood D:

Yeah, the promise of resorting things to keep it up to date with present lore (such as anything draenei) was never fulfilled. For the better, imho - it means that the newly enforced Warcraft 3 isn’t bogged down with 2020 trash lore and can exist as its own entity, for better or for worse.

Sabotaged by grognards with rose spectacles. The only change to the elven stuff is when Arthas sacks Silvermoon to get to the Sunwell there’s a boss fight with Anasterian and Thalorian (both look baller tbh). But it’s real disjointed because… there’s no real script. They’re just kinda… there.

1 Like

They spawn in, you have to fight them, that’s about it. I think the most noteworthy change is that Blizzard replaced Kael’thas’ human footmen with elven swordsmen in his first few missions, including when Tyrande encounters him.

It was really jarring in that cinematic 'cause the elven swordsman spoke with the voice of a rough human man.

Jesus were they even trying with Reforged?

I was excited for it initially but the radio silence for like a year didn’t give me much hope. And looks like there was a very good reason for that…

They were trying ((supposedly, we don’t know the internal workings of Blizzard.)), but a very vocal part of their community voiced their immense displeasure at what they deemed to be the ruination of blessed Warcraft 3.

Which, fyi, included people complaining that it ruins the lore by including female death knights - as all death knights of this time period were former paladins and there were no female paladins back then.

1 Like

Damn Purists ruined what could’ve been a addition to the Warcraft Universe!

Now we’re stuck with a worse game then the old version.

Blizzard shirking the blame on purists when they realized they could probably deliver about 10% of what they promised is the greatest gaslight I’ve ever seen.

“The game’s bad because YOU wanted it this way!”

I think it’s probably a bit of both - Reforged does look pretty rushed as well, though I wouldn’t be surprised if kowtowing to purists is also a part of the problem.

Blizzard just outsourced it, fair play to Lemon sky, the majority of the models are beautiful.

Vashj’s patched out weird human ears aside.

3 Likes

Dang, I’d been hoping for some nice little tidbit and all I got was an empty plate.
Thanks for answering, though! No sarcasm. :slight_smile:

There are some map changes, however minor. The Dalaran Dungeon crawl as Arthas is shaped like Dalaran is in WoW, and QT is also shaped like WoW’s kinda.

Either way i wish Blizzard just went ham with it. :frowning:

1 Like