LOS - is it bugged?

Hi, I started to play at BC and after that I played with vanilla. As I remember you could hid behind trees, rocks walls and if the terrain had a slope and you don’t have a straight view to the target you can’t cast a spell at them. Now in classic, you can shoot through any object and terrain. Mobs pulled by if you are walk near a wall. I experienced this most in STV with the troll city walls. If I walk by the wall and an enemy is at the opposite side of the wall but I walked to his agrorange he will attack me. Same in Scholomance when you go to the Jandice room and the undeads come through the wall! But the most hilarious is that everytime when I agroo a mob like this he came through the wall like it’s not there. Same goes for ships in STV.
Other example when you can cast and shoot across mountains in AV.

So my question is that: was it like this in WoW when actually came out? Or is it just a bug that no one cares about but annoys me a lot?

1 Like

It’s working as it did back in vanilla, and it should not be changed.

1 Like

was it realy that? It feels like a bug when mobs walk through walls, like it’s not there. Any more of you can comfirm this?

yup, the whole “pillar-hugging” and “shwoosh round the corner” started in BC, in classic LOS works very differently

1 Like

Most smaller objects did not block line of sight in vanilla (like trees). The normal terrain (that is everything that isn’t an extra model such as caves, houses, etc) also never blocked LOS. Many private servers had this aspect of the game wrong, so that may cloud your memory if you played on any of them.

Did you ever do “Deep Ocean, Vast Sea” back in Vanilla? Them Murlocs!!! It was exactly as you describe = it works as it should.

ok, thanks for answering

Check the google about LOS. Post are leading back to vanilla. It’s the same in retail, Blizzard just don’t care, also people got used to it and doesn’t want to be changed. I also call it BSht coming from MMORPGs where I could easily hind behind trees and stuff. I was shocked that people accept this in this game as normal.

Yeah, the weirdiest thing was when I go to the ships near BB to kill the three captains and I pulled the captains (and the half crew :DD) when I walked down mid stairs that leading to the maw of the ship only by agro range. Ok I get it, it’s a ship and the captain can hear me walking and slashing his mates and send reinforcements and himself to kill be, but please don’t come across the objects, it’s so ridiculous and crappy done…

Shooting through trees and hills was still possible in later expansions. I even tried it on a low level hunter I started in BFA before Classic moved out and I was able to shoot through trees.

If you have a real los system, you would experience a lot of exploiting, pathing issues with pets and healing issues.

I call that BS. Lineage2 has very good LOS system and there’re no issues with that.

maybe they changed back in BFA, but in BC and WotLK I remember I can hide behind small objects and pull casters

I started a warrior in TBC and stopped playing in Wrath. I remember endless situations, where I got shoot through trees. In duels and normal PvP.

In Classic some objects break LOS but trees, hills, bushes dont break it and never did in any expansion.

Have you ever leveled a gnome caster past 20? If you did, you should know better than this! It certainly isn’t consistent though, but there are some spots in wsg I try to avoid as a mage.

Minhx is right. Anything that is “normal terrain” never obstructed LOS. If it obstructs LOS, it has to be an extra model on top of the normal terrain. Not all models break LOS though. Any hill in the classic world is made of normal terrain. I think most rock/boulder models that you can find on hills also don’t break LOS, but there might be exceptions there.

I wouldn’t expect a tauren warrior to know anything about LOS issues. There are plenty of spots in the world, and instance, where seemingly “normal terrain” can cause LOS issues as a gnome caster.

What you are saying is simply not true now, and it was never true in any expansion. Did you play on private servers? Those aggressively applied LOS checks to models that it shouldn’t have applied them to. They also had an issue where nearby models could cause you to fail LOS checks when nothing at all obstructed your LOS.

It was true in vanilla, it was true in TBC, it is true in classic. I’ve never played on a pirate server. Level a gnome mage/warlock, go to the big cave where the prison cell tunnels meet in BRD and stand in the small depressions in the seemingly normal terrain while casting single target spells on mobs on the other side of the small bumps in terrain. Then come back and tell me there is no such thing as LOS issues in seemingly “normal terrain”. There are spots in the open world where the same issue occurs, but BRD is probably the easiest place to test it.

That location is a separate model, it’s not normal terrain.

So, how do I recognize “normal terrain”? Because you can encounter los issues mid field in both WSG and AV, again in seemingly “normal terrain”.