Mac issues - CRASHING, LAGGING AND STUTTERING AFTER 8.3

I still have a hope that they will fix it but… couple months ago I reported that classic on my macOS crashs randomly and restarts the system (exactly like that issue here). Sent them all logs etc. technical team was looking into it and answered that it’s an Apple problem… Few days ago I found that people on US forum are reporting mine mac issue on wow classic.
Now we have another one with wow retail, I’m afraid that they don’t care much about our platform.

RESOLUTION: To anybody who follows this topic: please be patient. Any of you who are dealing with development know how long tracking down an architectural issue like this, fixing it, testing it, re-fixing it, re-testing it and deploying it can take.

CONTEXT: Trying again with the lowered resolution scaling, and still run into the same issue of a freeze. I am levelling my alt in Highmountain. Definitely no 8.3 artefacts around and still get issues.

INFO: In my logs I see that it is a forced GPU reset. Copy some of the log below:

Sat Jan 18 09:03:51 2020

Event: GPU Reset
Date/Time: Sat Jan 18 09:03:51 2020
Application: World of Warcraf
Path: /Applications/World of Warcraft/*/World of Warcraft.app/Contents/MacOS/World of Warcraft
Tailspin: /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/gpuRestart2020-01-18-090351.tailspin
GPUSubmission Trace ID: 0
Version: 8.3.0.33084
OS Version: Mac OS X Version 10.15.2 (Build 19C57)
Graphics Hardware: Intel Iris Graphics 550
Signature: 803

===========================================================================
Intel GPU Hang Summary
version 1.2.0

Scheduler: Apple FirmwareMultiple channels per index

Processing hang for hardware context ID[5914]

– Summary of Status for ALL Rings –
RCS Ring is: - busy - in the ring <-- Appears hung
VCS Ring is: - NOT enabled - idle
BCS Ring is: - NOT enabled - busy - in the ring <-- Appears hung
VECS Ring is: - NOT enabled - idle

===========================================================================
Hardware Ring Registers

– RCS Ring –
RING_HEAD = 0x9dc01904 (offset = 0x00001904, wrap count = 1262, wait_for_cond = 0x0)
RING_TAIL = 0x000019d0 (offset = 0x000019d0)
RING_START = 0x40d99000 (offset = 0x40d99000)
RING_CTRL = 0x00007001 (enabled, auto report disabled (0x00), not waiting, semaphore not waiting, length = 0x008 4KB pages)

– VCS Ring –
RING_HEAD = 0x00000eb0 (offset = 0x00000eb0, wrap count = 0, wait_for_cond = 0x0)
RING_TAIL = 0x00000eb0 (offset = 0x00000eb0)
RING_START = 0x40930000 (offset = 0x40930000)
RING_CTRL = 0x00007000 (disabled, auto report disabled (0x00), not waiting, semaphore not waiting, length = 0x008 4KB pages)

– BCS Ring –
RING_HEAD = 0x37c00c10 (offset = 0x00000c10, wrap count = 446, wait_for_cond = 0x0)
RING_TAIL = 0x00001918 (offset = 0x00001918)
RING_START = 0x40d1a000 (offset = 0x40d1a000)
RING_CTRL = 0x00007000 (disabled, auto report disabled (0x00), not waiting, semaphore not waiting, length = 0x008 4KB pages)

– VECS Ring –
RING_HEAD = 0x00000000 (offset = 0x00000000, wrap count = 0, wait_for_cond = 0x0)
RING_TAIL = 0x00000000 (offset = 0x00000000)
RING_START = 0x00000000 (offset = 0x00000000)
RING_CTRL = 0x00000000 (disabled, auto report disabled (0x00), not waiting, semaphore not waiting, length = 0x001 4KB pages)

• Other registers associated with guilty ring -
    BB_ADDR = 0x45ae4150 (offset = 0x45ae4150, valid = 0x0)
    BB_STATE = 0x00000020
    IPEIR = 0x00000000
    ACTHD = 0x37c00c10
    EIR = 0x00000000
    EMR = 0xffffffff
    ESR = 0x00000000
    INSTPM = 0x00000000
    INSTPS = 0x00000001

What Eazybreezy said could be one thing. As I said earlier, as soon you get in “contact / near” something linked / from 8.3 you get these stuttering and freezes.

I don’t have the lego cloak and I cannot get pass stage 6 in the HoO starter scenario of the Black Empire Campaign. So any content / items from 8.3 is making these crashes.

1 Like

At this moment the game is unplayable for me. As soon as I get into horrific visions the game just freezes and sometimes my Macbook resets itself. How am I going to keep up with the rest of the players if this keeps happening? More people having this issue? Any news on this? So far I havent seen Blizzard confirming this bug.

Had hopes up when I saw a blue response at the US forum. Logged on and saw this mini update so maybe it is fixed. Joined a random 5man HC, 4th pull I froze 15 sec and the Mac crashed.

So … this will result in 4 days behind on the 8.3 progress.

Hey all,

Thanks for hanging in there! I just wanted to let you know that we believe we’ve found the cause for these issues and a fix is on the way!

I totally understand it’s a frustrating situation and we really appreciate your help in reporting on the issue as well as your patience while we continue to work on the resolution.

5 Likes

So, what’s the deal with the Mac client lately? With 8.3, there are frequent graphic lags that last several seconds, and usually afterwards, the client is desynced, so either the binary has to be shot down, or it crashes to the login screen with an error that the server connection has been lost.

This is absolutely unacceptable. Before 8.3, the client had frequent shortlived graphics lags, but never desynced, now I can’t be sure whether I‘m still online or need to restart the client and hope to be still alive. Please fix this a.s.a.p., the gaming experience is in the crapper.

are you thinking about how to close the gap to raid release, because we all couldn’t do our stuff?

1 Like

Oh thanks for investigating that. Do you think it can be a thing that can be sorted within the weekend or is it a long process?

Yo still can’t play what’s goin on

1 Like

Same here… I’m actually stuck floating out in the sea south of Boralus because when I signal for the gryphon to pick me up (or use the hearthstone) it says instance not found…

Same here. MBP 15" mid-2015, I get these 15-20 second freezes, sometimes the entire computer shuts down. Seems to happen at random, but some zones are definitely more prone to it (I quit while trying to fly to Hellfire Citadel in Tanaan. Felfire effects ?). Still happens when setting all graphical options to Low and deleting my AddOns folder.

I sometimes also get graphical glitches, textures flicker or just plain disappear.

since patch 8.3 very difficult to play on Mac, need to have angle’s patience. DCs, crashes like every 15 min. When I was trying to do halls of origination quest I dc’ed like 100 times. golden/sun light makes wow crush. too many spell effects - crash. to many players in zone crush. It was happening before in raid before 8.3 but maybe once a week. now every 15 min :frowning:

I’m very frustrated

1 Like

I don’t have mac but I’m having same problems, before 8.3 game ran smoothly, had longer than average portal loading screens that was about it. Now I cannot do mythics/arena without lagging a lot-

:((( this i bad… and we pay for that…

That forced GPU reset probably explains why, if I don’t hard crash during a freeze, i can see my interface all squished after coming out of the freeze like the system tries to change resolution. It stays like that until I exit combat when all UI parts snap back to where they were before.

1 Like

Hey there guys! I am in your club!

Unfortunately we don’t have any information on a Russian Forum, so that’s why I am here. Anyways, I am here to reply and to talk about a weird stuff that I have with my game.

Yep, I see a blue post somewhere higher (4h lately right now, while I am writing) and I don’t know is it OK with game now or not.
I have MacBookPro14,1 (macOS Catalina) and I bought it in 2018 I suppose.

First of all, when I started playing 8.3, everything was blurry (especially the text, I can’t even see anything, it is difficult to read). Then, it freezes for 5-10 sec with a rainbow wheel and after the first freeze comes the second one. And sometimes after a long freeze the whole game crushes and Mac reboots with some kind of a mistake report.

Hope that everything will be fixed soon! Thanks!

Hey guys,

I have the same issue with my MacBook pro 2015. Before the patch, I was running the game without any issue and now it’s crashing everytime.

I hope Blizzard is going to do something fast…

I don’t know if that is something that has already been discussed about at your HQ, but I think fixing the bug itself won’t nearly match the “inconveniency” that theses bugs have been causing.
Because as a player that uses MAC and would as such expect WoW to function on it since it has been able to for years (and sometimes better than on windows), I really feel neglected and feel this is somehow unfair that some people can enjoy the content, and if I only want to be able to catch-up someday, am limited to farming Island Expeditions and World quest. And believe me, if i’m considering that i all want to do is play wow, those days are pretty long.
Because i’ve been reading on eu forums and us forums as well, I know for sure there are a lot of players, like me, that haven’t been able to go past Halls of Originations at all. And that also can’t battleground, arena, or anything too rich graphically because at best, the game stutters and you miss out a load of seconds, at worst, it crashes the whole machine.

Considering we are saturday evening in EU and therefore there are only 4 days before release + the fact i’m mechanically missing out reputations, not being able possibly to complete a +19 key as I intended, delay on unlocking the essences, this feels really bad if we don’t have any compensation of some sort.

I know this is really early to even talk about that because it haven’t even been fixed it yet, but i also know that if you or us want things to not go worse than they are already, you need to pre-shot them / deal with them beforehand cause it implies policy and maybe also to develop it.

I see two realistic options :
1 - we get compensated for the whole items, currencies etc as if we had been doing the whole content everyday, so that we are actually able to rush it in a few hours and get back on track with the rest. Knowing this isn’t perfect for everyone cause people can’t be connected everyday.
2 - you actually delay the raid and m+ / items release planned for next week one week later + all of the above. People that have been able to play content would just have one week more of farm and still be there because they will still want to see further content, and MAC users would actually be able to enjoy this patch at more a cadenced rate.

This is only my input and a thought process. Can be seconded by people if they feel they agree with that.

Skorf

6 Likes