Major Characters 'gone' or dead from the game

Since the distinction has to be made, I’m only counting characters that are actually relevant. Not just random npc’s with the most minor of appearances that have died/ gone missing or this list would be far far too long.
I am also only counting characters from the beginning of WoW onwards. So in terms of lore, from ther raid of Blackrock Mountain and the Molten Core onwards.

So through the 15 years of WoW

Dead Horde Characters:

• Garrosh (dead)
  • Varok Saurfang (dead
  • Cairne Bloodhoof (dead)
  • Dranosh Saurfang
    (Honorable mentions to Thomas Zelling and King Rastakhan)

Previously but no longer Horde characters:

• Nazgrim (undead and neutral)
  • Vol’Jin (dead but still kicking about)
  • Sylvanas (???)
  • Nathanos Blightcaller (???)

Dead Alliance characters:

• Varian Wrynn (dead)
  • Archbishop Benedictus (dead)
  • Fandral Staghelm (dead)
  • Vindicator Maraad (dead)

Previously but no longer Alliance characters:

• Sira Moonwarden (Undead, now Horde)
  • Bolvar Fordragon (neutral)
  • Magni Bronzebeard (Neutral)

Is there any other relevant faction aligned character that I’ve missed?

3 Likes

For Alliance you can add Alonsus Faol and Fandral Staghelm. Also, typically Alliance does not loose characters to death, but rather to neutrality. For example, Khadgar and Magni are Alliance characters who are completely neutral. Velen can be said to be neutral as well, since he does absolutely nothing in BFA.

Heck, Malfurion would still be neutral had Blizzard been given the option. They made him non-neutral only because it would be ridiculous otherwise.

Another way of Alliance loss being shown is loss of territory (Azhara etc.) and absolutely bad story-telling - even wore than Horde. For exmaple, what story was there for the Alliance in 8.2.5 at all? It was all Saurfang, Zekhan, Thrall’s and Sylvanas’s show. What did Anduin even do other than giving his sword to Saurfang?

Characters tend to live more when they do absolutely nothing - especially in a faction war expansion

4 Likes

The Alliance has lost Fandral Staghelm, Highlord Bolvar Fordragon, King Magni Bronzebeard, Khadgar, Yrel, Maraad, O’ros of the Naaru, Tirion Fordring, Alonsus Faol, and if becoming neutral counts as “gone” then Malfurion Stormrage and Jaina Proudmoore as well.

Althea Ebonlocke, Amber Kearnen and Sira Moonwarden are notable Alliance characters lost for no reason other than shock value and disregard for lore.

And Old Blanchy was lost all the way back in Cataclysm…

The Alliance has lost more than you can know.

3 Likes

Staghelm can be added to the list, but Faol was dead before vanilla,

Khadgar has been neutral the entirety of his time in the game (since BC)
Magni I guess can count to an extent, but atleast he’s not ‘gone’.

I agree, but, not the point

Since you’re not counting characters going neutral (as seen by your Alliance list), you can remove Thrall, Nazgrim, Vol’jin, Sylvanas, and Nathanos.

1 Like

I have never seen two Nightborne at the same place before.

Sorry I mixed up. I meant to say Archbishop Benedictus - whom we lost in Cata

With a face like that, I wouldn’t let anyone see me, period.

I’m adding edits to the list

If Vol’jin is still kicking around that means he isn’t dead in the story, so you can indeed remove him too.

1 Like

I’d disagree.
He’s very much dead and has shown no real bias towards the Horde, if anything he’d be more like Bolvar than anything else, who does count towards this list

Yeah, so put him on the “previously but no longer Horde characters” list.

Althea and Amber are really minor compared to the other characters. If we begin adding all characters of that level then the list would more than double in size.
Sira however, I’ve added

Compared to whom? Dranosh Saurfang? A trivial character who appeared in one questline from 11 years ago?

The son of Varok Saurfang that led the Horde Army during the battle of the wrathgate really isn’t that trivial compared to the daughter of the mayor of duskwood

1 Like

Then add General Hawthorne, the man who led the Alliance offensive into the Southern Barrens.

1 Like

I’ll admit I have a horde bias, but i’m trying to remain as fair as I can.
But I really disagree that General Hawthorne would be anywhere near as relevant as Dranosh

he isnt dead.

Do we know what happens after he’s delivered to Nathanos?
I’ve only played the loyalist questline so far so I don’t know if he’s seen again after

Althea Ebonlocke was the primary questgiver for Duskwood in both Vanilla and Cataclysm.

She was a lot more relevant to the Alliance than Dranosh, who appeared in exactly one quest in Nagrand in TBC and then died immediately after you meet him again in Northrend.

Dranosh is not a major character. He’s not even a minor character. Theramore alone killed a number of Alliance characters with equal or more screentime to Dranosh: General Marcus Jonathan, General Tiras’alan, Admiral Aubrey, and an actual major character in Rhonin.

Do you want me to go on listing characters the Alliance lost who appeared more than Dranosh? Because I can, and that list gets quite long.