[Meta] Worth the effort?

Now that’s a name I haven’t heard in a long time.

To add to the earlier post too. A lot of people on AD have extremely differing opinions when it comes to what exactly is/can be said is “Good RP”, which by itself is a very personal opinion as it is, but it’s also something that can rather easily shatter communities or friends when people are extremely stubborn. I’m personally not the biggest fan of very headcanonfest type of RP communities, but some people are.

I’m also no fan of Dragon/Lich RPers myself, but I’m not going to burst down their door, take their keyboard and yell “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU I TOO HAVE PROOOOOVED MY WORTH!” like God-King Skovald.

Point is that people often decide themselves what is “Good RP” to them, even if the building blocks in-general might be the same.

yeah that DLC is part of the PCU: Federation of Evil season pass

9 Likes

And what is the price to pay for this season pass… ?

Good thing our guild is already part of the FOE list righteously exposed by the true defenders of quality roleplay…
All I can say is the question has already been offered and the deliberations are still running, as far as i know.

Also whatever rumors you may or may not have heard of PCU is all lies.

Except if it’s the Grim Gest. Then it’s all true.

8 Likes

Everything!

1 Like

At this moment, no, but that could still change in the future. And even then it would be a no to doing things together for events and the like. If a member of theirs shows up for some casual RP I would still respond - unless they’re obviously trying to disrupt/grief things themselves.

1 Like

Well, there you go. It’s easy oppose something with the caveat “I don’t like this until I need to like it”

Like yeah - at one point I thought that kind of stuff was unnecessary, too

I can’t really post specific guild names as per the forum rules but I am 99% sure that there are certain guild tags you wouldn’t acknowledge even if ostensibly they were just RPing. I’m not saying there’s some wide swathe of guilds that fit into that category, but in some cases its just common sense

In fact I will add as an afterthought that sometimes the RP itself is the disruption. ie. imagine if you were playing some loyalist-aligned military group during Sylvanas’ time as warchief and a guild would repeatedly sprint up to you to do the lowest order of conflict RP (ie. “death to the lich queen … [grunts] …” in Orgrimmar) and repeatedly avoid any consequences either through increasingly goofy RP or through flat mounting up and leaving OOC only to return again the next day (while also talking very rudely OOC about yourself / your guild) - would you not eventually think OK … these gamers are not really giving us any courtesy so I am thinking they don’t exist in my reality anymore or would you keep humouring them? Honest question because I tried the latter and then ended up with the former for at least one guild

6 Likes

Totally reasonable thing to do if it’s a guild led by a known ERPer or generally bad person or something, imo, though I’m guessing what was being described earlier was people just being petty. i.e. I think it’s unreasonable to tell someone not to interact with a member of another guild because the two leaders might have some personal beef OOC or something.

If you have a reason for it, though, it makes total sense.

Though of course if guild members are willing to make that kind of sacrifice for a vain GM I think it’s probably worth avoiding them anyway…

Personally this as well. There’s no reason to paint everyone with the same tag as a person you have a problem with/sub-group of people you have a problem with in that Guild the same, but some people are rather quick to also feign ignorance at a person clearly trying to start something up OOC by egging people on, simply because they are either friends/share a community or a Guild.

There’s also a fair share of people on AD operating with the mentality of “It’s okey when we do it” and “I’ll turn my blind eye towards you, cause I know you”.

1 Like

I think if you asked me this a few months ago, I’d have definitely said “yes” then typed up a big thing about how the well is poisoned, in-groups, shadowy cabals, and guild politics that punish newcomers and people who aren’t 100% in-tune with every campaign from the past three years.

I haven’t really changed my mind all that much, I just decided doing my own thing is less stress regardless of it involves interacting with the wider community.
:tropical_drink:

Well, it is a last resort when any potential for a fun IC interaction has broken down as far as I’m concerned

If 90% of an RP scene is OOC drama, it might be a better idea to sacrifice the remaining 10% and find other people to RP with

5 Likes

Alright let me rephrase it, then! I hope I don’t need to do it, because the idea of having to blanket ignore groups is not great at all.

I do understand why you’re doing it given the insane amounts of harassment with all the “anti-PCU” campaigns in the past. Also yeah, the Orgrimmar stuff was incredibly stupid and I don’t blame you for handling it how you did.

If I were in your shoes I would probably do the same. Suppose it doesn’t help that the moment “Perroy” is seen that some people start foaming from the mouth to the point they don’t reasonably respond anymore.

3 Likes

Yeah and I agree, my point is more about GMs who will snub an entire guild because of petty reasons that shouldn’t trickle down to the rest of the guild.

When it’s something like you’re describing, it makes sense and is generally the only way forward.

Also as Lotheridan said above it’s probably more of a pronounced effect when it comes to the PCU what with all the forum hate directed toward PCU guilds/members etc.

Oh, well - I absolutely agree with that man

Avoiding any group is basically a waste of time / inconvenient and it brings nobody any joy but sometimes it’s the lesser of two evils

Don’t worry, one more guild on your belt and you will be awarded your own personal tumblr fan account

3 Likes

Yeah 100% agreed there.

Looking forward to it :pensive: :pray:

maybe if you stopped spending all your time on aa profile banners smh

1 Like

Effort post incoming.
Let’s be honest, a large contribution to current ‘us versus them’ politicking is particular groups or people who engage in the dramatics and in-fighting just as viciously as the people they claim have caused it all. It’s very easy to lay blame at the feet of one half, but from my own experiences it isn’t quite so easy.

None of this is new, however. On Sha’tar, there were loud groups or individuals that decided they’d cracked the code of ‘good RP’ and thus made it their mission to expose. Old sites like Warcraft Sues or Roleplayer’s Lament existed almost as soon as RP servers did; these people would, again, often believe they were doing their realm a big favour by showcasing the bad bits, while really they too added to the unpleasant atmospheres that creep up as soon as the creatives within realise they’re under scrutiny.

In a way, I think the death of that sort of public shaming has been a benefit! Tittering at TRPs is really more a private indulgance than the equivalent of placing the RPer in the stocks. Perhaps that makes it more insidious, but anyone who says they don’t take part in a bit of teeheeing is lying to us or themselves.

A lot of finger pointing happened to the PCU. This is really not something we can deny. It STILL happens. I see it on Facebook, on Reddit. I’ve even seen it on SomethingAwful. Some people really desperately need the WoW RP community at wide to know about us!
What then happens is the people who often drag up the PCU as the example villain won’t really acknowledge how their insistence on doing that is playing into the feeling of the realm being cut in two. Imagine being a PCU guild and realising your community is being brought up and mud-dragged on SA, of all places? It doesn’t make you want to reach out and bridge the gap!

To shill; I joined PCU, and dragged my guild with me, middle last year. I did this after hearing a lot of hearsay and rumour about the PCU and guilds that associated. I, at times, believed a lot of this rumour. You’ll find many in the PCU did as well. They’ll fully admit that they had judgements based on nothing at all.

It was bad or tedious experiences with the other groups that put themselves as the betters that made me reconsider, and ask to join a campaign that snowballed into joining further campaigns and finally being approached IC and OOC to join proper. They could have told me to go forth and multiply quite easily, but they didn’t.
Truth be told, it struck me that the PCU mostly don’t actually enjoy the idea of having whole guilds or groups of people on an internal ‘ignore’. As a group of nice nerds who just want to roleplay in WoW, why would they be pleased at the idea of limiting who they can play with? They wouldn’t.

Sometimes you have to approach and roleplay with people and let their actions speak for themselves. There’s a lot of ‘I heard this about so-and-so, I have no proof or personal examples but my friend said…’ Nip that in the bud. Less of that sort of thing and we’ll start to see improvement.

20 Likes

Can someone give an innocent bystander a TLDR for the drama?

hrothgarr bad

1 Like