MMOs for Roleplayers - which are left besides WoW?

when the bladewing boys hit the bazaar you know it’s going to be carnage :sunglasses: :beers:

5 Likes

i was browsing through the concept art gallery for guild wars 2 again and i swear its some of the nicest ive seen for games with the unique style too it. love dem dragon designs

They’re the same picture.

Aerilen is chaste… could you be the one who this widower breaks his virtue for? :sunglasses:

Nah but for real, I think people have lived a bit vicariously through roleplay. I did a bit, in my early teens, when I had some troubles going on, it was an escape. This isn’t really unique to blood elf roleplay, it’s just that that scene has never been able to really keep its dirty laundry under wraps.

I mean we could talk about the really aggressively sexual orcish clan guilds which always seemingly get a free pass.

7 Likes

Or the troll ones with the RPG lore that the women are subservient and the men take more than one bride.

4 Likes

I did relationship RP in my early WoW years. That early, awkward teen life is rough.

Now I don’t because it feels weird, but I don’t dab on people if they choose to do it.

1 Like

Relationship Rp in the early days is why I refuse to do it now.

Generally jaded and just not interested.

Relationship RP is one of those things where it’s a recipe for disaster if the players in question aren’t mature enough to approach it healthily

2 Likes

ftfy in 10 chars

2 Likes

Thought I agree that is something to behold, the insane drama around relationship RP in the blood elf scene - I prefer the constant power jabs OOC, when people attempt to control the scene they are playing at like you are not allowed to do anything without forming at least 15000 applications as to why would you want to RP that, esp from people that like to bathe in Sunwell IC :crazy_face: :woozy_face:

Unironically a topic one of my characters had with a blood knight. They said no.

Never again. Never again will I enter into an RP romance.

That was the promise I whispered to the wind many moons ago. Like every other promise I’d ever uttered, it was destined to be broken. Little did I know I know it would break so soon.

There was a chill in the still air that night, the bazaar was as lively as ever, filled as it was with all manner of souls looking for all manner of things. Me? I was just there for a few drinks and a bit of light conversation. That was a lie.

I stepped inside the tavern, the room abuzz with all kinds of chatter and song. The scent was sickly sweet with every fragrance of perfume and cologne you could imagine mixed into a vicious cocktail. It was intoxicating.

I quickly found my way to the furthest and darkest corner of the room. Yeah, I was a wallflower. My TRP said approachable, but my body language said the opposite.

I lingered for a while, silent and brooding. Then on the far end of the room I caught sight of him. A Bladewing boy. What else could he be? Armour gleaming gold and red, polished to a fine sheen. I was breathless. Deep down I hoped his armour wasn’t the only thing that would be polished that night.

I didn’t know which one of their number it was, but I knew it didn’t matter. They were each of them magnificent in their own way. Bright as the afternoon sun and as captivating as the rolling plains of Mulgore.

Quick as a flash I changed my “currently” status; Looking for a Blood Knight it now read. Hopefully that was enough to draw his eye. I waited for him to target me and see the trap I had laid, I willed it.

I knew I didn’t have much of a shot, I was a Tauren after all, but I prayed that my very presence in their city would be enough to make them ignore their racial prejudices just long enough for me to sink in the hook.

I would have my dream romance, one way or another.

8 Likes

My problem with RP romances was that it’s been two times now over the years that my character entered one, only for the other character’s player to eventually quit the game. It made later RP awkward, claiming my character is in a relationship yet never having the partner appear IC.

2 Likes

I had a similar issue. My main character for the majority of the time had a partner since vanilla who we had established were together pretty much from childhood. So when that person disappeared from WoW it was awkward.

I kept them part of the story but kind of killed them off screen and used it as a new motivation for the character. It preserved the original intent and didn’t lead to a night elf couple breaking up after thousands of years for some reason.

2 Likes

I’ve just decided to have my characters date each other.

Makes them unavailable.

EDIT: Quite literally RP the trope; “i have a boyfriend”

Aerilen stood idling by the bar, as usual his character didn’t have anything alcoholic; Aerilen is not a pleasant person to be around after alcohol, he becomes sour and abusive.

Unbeknownst to Akamito Aerilen’s player receives a text from a friend, “let’s play some video games”. Without a word Aerilen vanishes into the digital ether. Lost to the database of binery within Argent Dawn’s server.

Akimito was not noticed tonight.

3 Likes

I have done romance rp twice

One was an unmitigated disaster
The other has lead to me getting together w/ my boyfriend for the greater half of a decade now

All in all a good balance i would say

2 Likes

It really stands or falls by how many players it attracts.

The biggest attraction of WoW RP, imho, and that is something not found in other MMOs, is random RP.

2 Likes

These things are really only worth doing with friends that you trust to make a compelling story out of it, not strangers. Maybe a greyzone if you’re doing established collegue stuff that evolves organically but I’ll forever be wary of the people who seem to always nudge any kind of thing toward some alone time.

Most of all, the OOC communication is key as with most things so misunderstandings don’t arise.

Also valid. As is being career oriented.

My heart skipped a beat. Did he just vanish? Is it over?

Dejection. That’s all I felt in that moment, to be rejected so painfully and suddenly. My passions were alight and now they were destined to fizzle out unwanted.

There was only one thing for it. I let out a heavy sigh.

Incognito Mode

1 Like