Multiboxing (Personal thoughts)

Errr… You haven’t needed /follow like since … wotlk ?

Can you please answer my questions then?

Legion mob HP scaling. It was not always beneficial to engage all in combat if gear differences were too big like I had.

1 Like

Oh, I don’t remember Legion scaling ever causing problems (wasn’t it just scaling by your level, not ilevel?). Then just use the most appropriate character as a main. My point still stands.

Or maybe you meant rare mob HP scaling when more people attack it? In that case, just have your other toons tag the mob when it’s near death.

I googled Win 10 functions, since you wouldn’t tell me what they are. I’m going to need to upgrade my Windows, lol. :slight_smile:
Can you explain how you synchronized turn in different instances using Win 10 without /follow?

Windows 10 allows you to do what Blizzard just said you cannot, but its one of the core functions in 10 - ability to send keystrokes to several apps at once. I mean … just tell windows to repeat keystroke later and its like 2 players.

Fascinating. So this change was more to make people that kept complaining quiet. Nothing will actually change.

1 Like

Well thing is the problematic boxers (i.e. herbing druids*10) did use software and crossed border with botting. If you want to do your own small thing because you are just bored to control one character, then you can use basic tools.

As i have said - i have never been attacked for MBing in this game because I have really not done anything to cause mayham. I do dungeon, help my alts. Even counter ganking I have done from one character and not as MB.

Side note : i do not herb, it bores me :crazy_face:

As I’m not a Windows user (linux), so I’m a little confused what your referring to with these new windows 10 features? Do you have an article that you can link or copy the headline from that explains this? I know of the API’s for sending keys in windows but not some kind of macro feature, nor can I find anything about this.

Sorry to break your dreams, but just the fact that you have to alt tab is already making it way worse. You can come up with ideas, ways but it just won’t matter. Multiboxing isn’t banned but the reason why it was used is gone. That input broadcasting was the key to all this. Ofc you can still open multiple accs and start farming but for how long you gonna alt tab and not get tired of doing that. For a player who was opening 8 accs in l2 back in time i find it very annoying.

2 Likes

It’s very easy and people were doing it for years before the broadcasting software was invented.

2 Likes

Noone said it isn’t but how efficent ia it compared to input.

1 Like

Most multiboxers that I saw were AFK moonkin farming for 12 hours a day.

Keyword: AFK

They are lazy people who dont know how to play the game. I dont expect any of those people to start alt+tabbing between clients. Too much work.

Alt+tabbing clients to gather herbs is pretty ludicrous also. I think most would quit trying after gathering the 5th herb node.

Its how Multi-boxing always used to be, so enjoy … Next ban addons in Raids & BGs :))

1 Like

If you want to do this, and somehow enjoy doing this crack on.

But, i will be able to get access to herb/ore whilst youve alt tabbed between therefore without software youre not interfering with my game and my enjoyment.

Blizz need to be rightly applauded for this decision.

Also i heavily doubt you will run 8 games and alt tab between them when you realise how time consuming and how little gain you get from doing it but maybe im wrong.

People may or may not realize this but the World of Warcraft client scans all the processes on your machine for software which breaches the ToS. I’ve seen players go down in flames for trying something on their machine which they think gives them an edge only to get that suspension email a few minutes later. Don’t do it.

Threads like this only serve to give multiboxers further ideas and ultimately get themselves an account action for not realizing this.

Quite frankly I am very happy that boxxers will get tired of alt tabbing after the first 500 herbs. It at least gives players like me a fighting chance at access to content which I pay for aka herbs.

I mean, now the main problem is herbing, but multiboxing has always caused issues.
For example i have been in several BG’s where such a person would screw up the game for everyone else with so many instances of the same debuff being affected at the same time.

Multiboxing is a source of problems to the game. I say that but there is confusion about the terms. The main problem is automation.

If you want to have 8 druids, have them on follow (btw imo follow should be removed imo. It does nothing for the game and would solve the problems) and clicks 8 individual times for each of those instance of the game, i don’t see a problem.
If there is any automation, there is a problem.

It is true people can make mechanical contraptions to automate it without software, but it seems unlikely many people will do that.

This measure is better than no measure and most of all, it removes the protection bots had in hiding under the guise of multiboxing. They can safely be reported without fear or having to run an investigation to know if they are botting or multiboxing. It was an unreasonable ask.

Anyways, as i said, my solution is simple. Break follow.

1 Like

There may be more of “you” than there are multiboxers (actually I do believe that’s the case), but I’m pretty sure that the vast majority of players either don’t care about multiboxing or don’t even know what it is.

I only came back not even two months ago after stopping shortly after BfA launch, and only encountered a handful of multiboxers which, even if being the other faction with warmode, didn’t bother me.

I also couldn’t tell if multiboxers had an impact on my server’s economy, so I don’t suffer from it in any way.

So I would rather have people be able to play the way they want. Of course this swings both ways, so I wouldn’t want multiboxers to be the problem that it seems to be to some.

I don’t count the open pvp aspect, as I had more problems with a bunch of players going for single players (Mechagon for example) repeatedly. Well, as much as it sucks, there is a simple solution to it.

I would have loved to see a more sensible approach at the problem. I don’t know what it would look like, and I guess it’s just not as easy as simply “criminalizing” it, but I really don’t like the idea that players like the OP who don’t bother anyone (except for the hardline anti-multiboxers who already get high blood pressure just thinking about seeing one) are longer be allowed to play the way that’s most fun to them.

So I won’t reply to those that have commented while I was asleep individually. I overall think that the argument is that it’s now less convenient and so should stop multibox farming.

The reason why I don’t think this change will impact farmers and only those that are multiboxing to do solo content is due to the design of the farming system now.
Multiboxing was always a very very small niche until around maybe Legion. I believe this to be because Multiboxing became the meta in farming. Which is a design problem of farming. I personally cannot think of a reason why they would have this herb/system where 8 characters can gather from the same node. It’s obvious that this would incentivize farming groups.

Just like with any part of the game, people will find the meta and start doing it. It will still be the meta in farming without the broadcasting software because of the node system design, and as long as it’s the meta people will spend their time alt tabbing through clients.

I don’t also believe that this will make it hard for people to multibox farm. I actually see this as lowing the barrier to entry. Before if you wanted to be just as efficient as the other farmers, you needed key broadcasting software, 8 druids. Now you just need 8 druids and a lot of the headache of setting up broadcasting is removed.
So the meta of farming will remain and you’ll all still be complaining next month.

Next thing mentioned is that it will be easier now to spot and report multiboxers. Multiboxing is not being removed so you’ll still struggle to spot this.
Also follow has been broken in PvP for a long time, it’s a none issue anymore.

Follow not working in PvP is actually a change that caused the results the community wanted. They was complaining about multiboxing in BG’s and this single change removed it. However this new change will not target the multiboxing that people complain about, it is just targeting those that people don’t even know or care about.

1 Like

Even if we ignore the utility arguments (economic disruption, zone disruption) and so on, it’s entirely plausible blizzard are making moves in this direction for other reasons such as game philosophy ones, which means it’s irrelevant whether you disrupt others or not.

For example, such a reason might be that blizzard may wish to double down on the social mmo philosophy , and are so targeting methods players can use to avoid grouping with others and do social content by themselves. Whether you like it or not, this does run contrary to the idea of an mmo being about working with other players, even if your actions don’t bother anyone.

Why now? Why this way? Limitation of policing I suspect. There is no reliable way to distinguish a multiboxer using automated hardward keystroke tech, or alt tabbing from several players sharing a hardware rig. So it makes sense they can’t go after this, as they may well penalise players who are simply playing together in a unique manner.

But software use is pretty much explicitly for the purposes of playing the game solo, with several toons, so it makes an easy target.

Not saying this IS the reason, just it could be. It would certainly explain why blizzard don’t appear moved by the predictable emergence of hundreds of “but I never do anything bad” MB posts , they don’t care, they don’t want single players playing group content by themselves. It belies the point of the social aspect of the game arguably.

And this is all ignoring the utility arguments…but I do think they’re relevant too. It doesn’t matter if 5 multiboxers play well, if only one of them abuses it and makes play worse for other players, it’s something that should be looked at.

It’s like laws generally. I might be the best driver in the world at over 70 mph. Fact remains that there are those who aren’t, and the consequences of them failing to do so are dire, so law stipulates you can’t go over 70 mph. It’s irrelevant how much of a good driver I am, the focus is on those who aren’t and people like me need to live with that and understand that.

People haven’t conjured this distaste of MBers from nowhere for giggles. Druids instantly depleting nodes is a thing. AH flooded with supply to kill prices is a thing. Players standstill farming to generate absurd amounts of gold into the economy is a thing. That you don’t do it or see doesn’t make it not so. People haven’t just made it up for no reason to try and get at multiboxers.

Maybe blizzard have finally decided these potential negatives aren’t worth having around and that’s that. Tbh it’s a move that does them favours. All too often they’re accused of being greedy and putting dollar before players. Well here they are doing something that will cause several MBers to quit or end their multiple account subscriptions (forums has seen plenty of these posts) at cost to themselves to try and appeal to something a majority of the playerbase has been jaded about for some time. That’s a good thing, it shows money isn’t the be all and end all.

1 Like

I will also admit that drug dealers will find new ways of selling their crap thats no reason not to keep trying to shut them down. If we used that logic in everything we wouldnt have any rules/laws because the once wanting to break them will find other ways.