My feelings at the moment

Like several others I insta-quit my account as soon as it became clear that there would be no permanent WotLK servers and that the ‘upgrade’ to Cata would be mandatory - save for those who played on Wrath Era servers.

This broadly mirrors my actions in 2012 - the difference being that in that period I was at least prepared to give Cata a chance rather than simply insta-quitting.

Tried it, hated it - quit, moved on with my life, ending a seven-year WoW journey.

Classic offered a fresh start, and I had a great time, found a new guild, got stuff done and everything seemed cool.

But, for reasons best known to Blizzard, they once again decided to ignore the requests from many of their players and declare: “you WILL play Cataclysm and NO you cannot play the original game any more, save in a very limited form on era servers.”

OK, fine, I voted with my wallet - bye bye WoW for the second time in my life. Said farewell to my new guild, dumped all my gold into their guild bank, quit my sub, uninstalled the game and moved on. There were plenty of new single player titles to get involved with.

But as of late I’ve began to feel the itch to experience the old world once again. The original pre-Cata game is such a wonderful achievement, such a wonderful place to play around in and explore.

So - my current mindset is as follows:

I’m just taking out a one-month sub nothing more.
I’m going to treat it like a single player title. Make a character, level from one to 60 - then quit, move on until the itch takes hold again however many months or years down the line.

That said, if they were to announce WotLK or even TBC servers I’d take out the year’s sub in a heartbeat, and WoW would become my forever game.

Meanwhile, it’s just going to be a bit of nostalgic fun, and treated as I would Diablo II - just a questing and levelling game, nothing more. No guilds (unfair on them to have a member who isn’t going to stick around) no end game.

9 Likes

This is exactly what I do, every now and again I get a little itch and sub for a month or two max and just play till I get bored /annoyed at blizz again.

It’s only a tenner but I despise giving blizz any money

1 Like

Nothing beats the feeling when your first 6-Slot Bag drops :wink:

6 Likes

I can agree with this post. I cannot for the life of me understand the rationale behind no era servers for TBC and WOTLK. Why would they re-introduce those expansions without the possibility of playing on them again later down the line? Era servers for vanilla are apparently fine to contain but why not later expansions?

7 Likes

Or in my case bought from a vendor as I got sick of waiting for one to drop after going 10 levels with just my basic backpack.

I’d have used the AH but there’s like all of three people on my server and no economy whatsoever :rofl:

Which also begs the question - if Wrath/TBC servers are not viable for reasons of server cost surely condensing a few of the almost empty Wrath-Era PvE servers into one and then re-purposing them into Wrath/TBC-era servers would be a solution?

2 Likes

If the realm cost of a running system like Era was an issue, they would have been merged long ago.

They’ve tried to merge servers for the first time ever in 2022, found it took a major effort and that they were not prepared for it at all. Since they did a pretty good job in SoD 18 months later, they obviously have been working on it.

So the problem is rather, what will they have to do, to bring new TBC realms up to the level of infrastructure (Battle.Net, login servers, realm administration, layering etc.) they have today? And don’t forget the SoD-client underneath. The TBC software was running on another client.

Keeping all that up to date and synced is where where the money goes to. Not in the day to day realm cost of a virtual server.

Yet they can maintain and pay for keeping quite a lot of vanilla era servers up as well as both HC and SOD servers up while still developing both retail AND Cata at the same time. The whole argument about money stinks to high heaven and I don’t believe it one bit

2 Likes

I don’t either.

But the argument regarding the number of realms is just weird.

The effort of consolidation was in the past likely way above any savings in a long period of time. No idea how it is nowadays, only Blizz can tell. But since they don’t address the issue… The only thing they’ve shown early this year is, that now they can do it without a strong negative impact on their customers.

Labour costs have the biggest impact by far in this regard. So any sort of change is expensive in relation to just keeping an existing thing running.

Some interesting points raised here, thank you for the replies.

1 Like

The playerbase is already so fragmented i think they should just let people play on the expansion they want.

Want to play BfA the way it was at the end of 8.3 with the corruptions in place and not disabled? They should let you. If not, those people will go to places where they can play BfA 8.3 and we all know they exist.

3 Likes

U got Classic era just keep playing that if not delete blizzard app and play another game

We can ask for TBC servers if that’s the expansion we prefer thank you very much

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.