Pre-Patch created dead keys that close the game on Mac, e.g. ^ and ´ with German keyboard settings

My wow client language has always been English.
Keyboard Qwerty, Logitech MX Keys for Mac, Nordic Layout
Keys that crash the game instantly: ˇ and starting from today, also ´
The keys are first key on second row and last small key on the same row. ˇis under ESC key and ’ before back key.

We have described the issue, let the devs use different language keyboard, it is EU servers after all, so many of us are not using US keyboards.

same here

• German client
  • QWERTZ-Layout
  • “^” closes game

Same when I tried to make ~ (Swedish Keyboard, English Client, M2)

Could this be related to the issue of modifier keys not working on mac as in the other threads?

1 Like

Language of WoW client : French
MacOS : Sonoma 14.5
Keyboard type : Logitech MX Key Mac
Keyboard language : Français numérique ( Azerty )
Identified problematic keys : ^ ¨ `

Problem occurs at pressing the button, its possible to get these characters displayed in game while copy/pasted form another text editor, also by pressing alt+é to get ë or alt+e to get ê.

Also, while testing same config with >>
Keyboard language : US International PC
Identified problematic keys : ` ~ " ’

Those are all “dead keys”, with orange frame on the keyboard visualizer.

Same problem appears with other devices (such as apple magic keyboard french ; Logitech G510s ; nevertheless, Logitech G-Hub is installed)

I have the same problem. Whenever I press either the ´or ¨ keys the game closes.

VERY frustrating as I play on a french server to learn the language but basically 90% of french uses some combination of `, ´, ^

frustré

Language of WoW Client: English

MACOS: Sonoma 14.3.1.

Keyboard type: Apple Magic Keyboard (Norwegian)
Keyboard language: Norwegian (QWERTY)
Problematic keys: ´, ¨ (unmodified by cmd, game is exited regardless)

It’s only those two ‘dead keys’ that break it. I’m able to hold ‘e’ and hit the mac shortcut (ex. ù is holding u + 3).

Resetting keybinds + UI does NOT fix the problem.

I am not having this problem in the WoW Classic clients.

SAME HERE - ^ shuts down the game instantly, faster than Force Quit lol… This has got to get hotfixed asap

Language of the WoW Client: English
Keyboard Language/ Type: German/ QWERTZ
Specific Key: ^ and cmd+^

1 Like

Hi again,

I have discovered, that this game crashing occurs when the keyboard setting is set to different language, not default US english. If i log into game and have changed my keyboard language to US, then the ˇand ’ will not crash the game.

But this is not a solution, because then I will lose a whole lot of other buttons that I normally use for different letters, like ö, ä, õ, ü

So the devs will never discover and acnowledge the problem if they are using different keyboards but not try to use them with different language settings, like german, swedish, french etc. It is not depending on someone’s battlenet language, it is keyboard setting on system preferences, on mac computers.

Please try to fix this. Players who are being forced to use some totally different keyboard settings for a game are losing the functionality of their keyboards.

5 Likes

Hey there,

i have the same issue.

Macbook 2023 M3 Pro
Keyboard: German QWERTZ with üäöß

Game Client is Englisch.

Issue: WoW instantly force close without a message if i press ^. I have autorun on this button.

1 Like

Sorry Bliz but the game became unplayable. Your “not being able to replicate the problem” means that this isn’t prioritized and Mac users (I understand with non-English keyboards) can not play right now as the game keeps exiting with any ^ or ’ or cmd+q press, which a lot of people use for shortcuts, especially on laptops.

How extensive were the tests done prior to the launch of this patch that nobody picked up this issue?

Key combination functionality needs to get restored ASAP

Same here,

Macbook M1 Pro 2021
Keyboard German with Umlauts
MacOs Sonoma 14.5 German

Game Client: English

Instantly closes program when pressing ^
Update: also with ´ (Key to the left of Backspace on my QUERTZ keyboard)

Also we can not set any keybindings that contain ^ or ’ or cmd+q because the game crashes.

EU English client, German mac M2 keyboard

1 Like

Language of WoW client : English
MacOS : Sonoma 14.5
Keyboard language : Swedish QWERTY
Identified problematic keys :^ ¨ ´ `
Insta quits the game- incredibly annoying

Same here. Verry anoying.

CMD+Q quits the game (Didn’t happen before the patch). QWERTY-Dutch keyboard. MACOS: Sanoma 14.5.

Me and others have reported it back in beta so they should have known about the problem.

Does this happen on an external keyboard as well?.. Or has no one tryed that?.
Just throwing ideas out.

In my case on both.
Macbook Pro internal keyboard and Logitech MX Keys

1 Like

Same here, sometimes I am really asking myself who needs a shortcut for closing the game. No one asked for that.

I tested everything including reset of all keybinds and still CMD + Q and ^ is closing the game for me

Blizzard, please take this serious. If you really can’t reproduce it, maybe take an EU keyboard for testing, for example one with QWERTY

• Changing the config.wtf SET MacDisableOsShortcuts “1” did not work either.

can we just remove the option to shortcut QUIT Wow… :face_exhaling: really no one will miss it

3 Likes

As it stands many frequently used key combinations do not work and therefore the game is not playable. If this isn’t resolved soon I will seek gametime refund and if the problem persists when the expansion launches in August I will ask for a full refund of my purchase.

5 Likes

Getting a refund is the least they can do. Or extend our game time with one month for every time we quit the game by pressing our key binds… (OH MY - 2 years of free playing so far!)

2 Likes