Pre-Patch created dead keys that close the game on Mac, e.g. ^ and ´ with German keyboard settings

Hi again,

I have discovered, that this game crashing occurs when the keyboard setting is set to different language, not default US english. If i log into game and have changed my keyboard language to US, then the ˇand ’ will not crash the game.

But this is not a solution, because then I will lose a whole lot of other buttons that I normally use for different letters, like ö, ä, õ, ü

So the devs will never discover and acnowledge the problem if they are using different keyboards but not try to use them with different language settings, like german, swedish, french etc. It is not depending on someone’s battlenet language, it is keyboard setting on system preferences, on mac computers.

Please try to fix this. Players who are being forced to use some totally different keyboard settings for a game are losing the functionality of their keyboards.

5 Likes

Hey there,

i have the same issue.

Macbook 2023 M3 Pro
Keyboard: German QWERTZ with üäöß

Game Client is Englisch.

Issue: WoW instantly force close without a message if i press ^. I have autorun on this button.

1 Like

Sorry Bliz but the game became unplayable. Your “not being able to replicate the problem” means that this isn’t prioritized and Mac users (I understand with non-English keyboards) can not play right now as the game keeps exiting with any ^ or ’ or cmd+q press, which a lot of people use for shortcuts, especially on laptops.

How extensive were the tests done prior to the launch of this patch that nobody picked up this issue?

Key combination functionality needs to get restored ASAP

Same here,

Macbook M1 Pro 2021
Keyboard German with Umlauts
MacOs Sonoma 14.5 German

Game Client: English

Instantly closes program when pressing ^
Update: also with ´ (Key to the left of Backspace on my QUERTZ keyboard)

Also we can not set any keybindings that contain ^ or ’ or cmd+q because the game crashes.

EU English client, German mac M2 keyboard

1 Like

Language of WoW client : English
MacOS : Sonoma 14.5
Keyboard language : Swedish QWERTY
Identified problematic keys :^ ¨ ´ `
Insta quits the game- incredibly annoying

Same here. Verry anoying.

CMD+Q quits the game (Didn’t happen before the patch). QWERTY-Dutch keyboard. MACOS: Sanoma 14.5.

Me and others have reported it back in beta so they should have known about the problem.

Does this happen on an external keyboard as well?.. Or has no one tryed that?.
Just throwing ideas out.

In my case on both.
Macbook Pro internal keyboard and Logitech MX Keys

1 Like

Same here, sometimes I am really asking myself who needs a shortcut for closing the game. No one asked for that.

I tested everything including reset of all keybinds and still CMD + Q and ^ is closing the game for me

Blizzard, please take this serious. If you really can’t reproduce it, maybe take an EU keyboard for testing, for example one with QWERTY

• Changing the config.wtf SET MacDisableOsShortcuts “1” did not work either.

can we just remove the option to shortcut QUIT Wow… :face_exhaling: really no one will miss it

3 Likes

As it stands many frequently used key combinations do not work and therefore the game is not playable. If this isn’t resolved soon I will seek gametime refund and if the problem persists when the expansion launches in August I will ask for a full refund of my purchase.

5 Likes

Getting a refund is the least they can do. Or extend our game time with one month for every time we quit the game by pressing our key binds… (OH MY - 2 years of free playing so far!)

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for posting all that information, I’m sure it’ll be very useful. :slight_smile:

Feel free to keep posting if you haven’t already with the information requested here (if you already replied, you obviously don’t need to reply again).

2 Likes

Thanks Yryadorne for taking care of us, I’m sure you’re doing your best to make us be heard !

1 Like

Mac OS

• M2 MacBook Air
  • Client in French
  • Azerty Keyboard
  • “^” closes game
  • Macbook Pro M3 Max
  • English Client
  • QWERTY Turkish Keyboard
  • Shift + 3 closes the game (In Turkish layout; it’s equal to ^ )

No problem of closing when i hit CMD + Q. Works fine.

Happens to me as well, annoying because I used to have autorun on ^ key. Though I must admit it is a convenient way of closing the game quickly, even though it then does not save any setting changes made, as it seems to work like cmd+q or alt+f4.

• Client Language: English
  • Device: Apple Silicon M1 Macbook Pro
  • Keyboard: QWERTZ (German)
  • OS Keyboard Language set to German
  • ^ (second row 1st key) and ´ (second row second last key, next to back key)
  • I do not have “ignore system shortcuts” enabled, but that has never caused any issues in the past.

Even though i already postet for the english client,
i now tested it also with the german client of wow and it also happens.

Macbook Pro M1 Pro
Client: English & German
MacOS Sonoma 14.5 German
German Keyboard Layout QUERTZ both on Macbook internal keyboard and Bluetooth Logitech MX Keys
“Ignore system shortcuts” activated
^(First key) and ` (Last key before backspace)

Can confirm this also happens to me. I lost one or two arena games due to high apm and me sometimes wildly pressing “ESC” to detoggle, then slipping onto the “^”-Button.

Device: Macbook Pro M3 Max
Client Language: English
Keyboard Language: QWERTZ (German)
Closing-Key: ^ and ´
Ignore System Shortcuts: Tested both, not making a difference.

Hope you guys can fix this soon. Cheers!