My Two-Day Week

I can’t rouse my interest to get into dungeons, so I’m left with world content.

The devs chopped the vast majority of the world content out of Dragonflight to appease the instance players, so I have a two-day week.

I have 4 characters at 70, so my weekly ration is:

4 World Boss kills
4 Obsidian Keys
4 Feasts
4 Sieges
4 Primal Futures
4 Hunts

I did all of those yesterday, except for 3 Primal Futures which I finished today in one hour, and one Hunt, which I will probably do at some point when I can find one. (Or maybe not; I never have gotten anything useful from a Hunt, and I always feel surprised when I do find one - how are you actually supposed to find them?)

Yes, there are a few world quests, and Obsidian and Aylaag qyests, maybe a couple of hours worth if I did them all. None of them give any rewards I’m interested in, though, so mostly I don’t bother.

It took me a couple of weeks to catch on - guess I’m getting slower with age - but I finally realised that the devs effectively removed gear and other desirable rewards from WQ to put them into the “group” activities. Yes, there is gear from WQ, but its level is calibrated to be too low to be useful, relative to your character’s ilevel. I guess they thought by recategorising these activities as “group”, they would meet some internal metric.

So, I end up with a busier Wednesday than I would actually like, and maybe a half-day on Thursday, and then another half-day Saturday evening or Sunday.

So, for other people who don’t bother with instanced content, how does your week’s activities shape up?

Postscript: Well, Saturday’s roster has rolled around. About 20 WQ. Nothing that any of my characters is interested in. So, no reason to log in to Retail until Wednesday again.

In the thread so far, we’ve had some discussion of the overall design options, and some cavilling about my likes and dislikes, but only three or four people answering my main question, and I’d love to see more:

If you don’t spend your time in instances, what does your weekly activity agenda look like?

24 Likes

I has left me bored and looking at world quests and thinking oh god not that one again

7 Likes

Yeah, that is what happens when you listen to the people who are lacking self discipline.

6 Likes

They probably have self controll and don’t burn thrugh the weekly content in a day, so every day have something to do for fun and not for a chore? :thinking:

3 Likes

Sort of similar to yours. Only I don’t bother with the soup or DBK if it isn’t up, and mainly just go for the WB for loot 100 gold on my favorite toons (4 total, maybe 5…) and a key each week on main. I sometimes do extra keys on alts, but only +2s and only 1 tops.

If there is an event like TW or the M+ week I obviously do more, but they are so quick that I run out of content anyways. Also world quests if they give a decent upgrade.

I could be farming mogs or mounts, but with most of the interesting items collected and the rest gated behind RNG I can’t bother.

I did make a thread 2 years ago here that helps exactly with that - basically you could collect a currency from each legacy boss killed, either in raids and dungeons, and turn them in for a usable item that forces your selected boss to drop an uncollected usable appearance, to bypass RNG. You could literally yell, “No more funny games, Black Stalker! You’re handing over that Demonfang Ritual Helm this instant!!”

Same could be done for mounts, so get an accountwide item that stacks to 100, drops guaranteed, and turns into the mount when you have enough.

But as these will never get added thanks to Blizz’s philosophy and the whiners who’d be triggered to have a fixed grind instead of RNG which makes the item special…

So my gametime mainly goes to Classic leveling, if not outright another game :smile:

TL;DR:

My main:

• One weekly key up to +10.
  • M+ event and TW event. (In this case, 4 keys for the week.)
  • DF outdoor events if up.
  • WQs, only for gear.

Favorite alts (roughly 4):

• One key if I feel like it at +2.
  • TW event.
  • WQs, only for gear.

Log off and play Classic or another game.

(With this I’m Amazoner’s opposite btw.)

3 Likes

Step 1. Insult the previous poster to get your dopamine hit. :ballot_box_with_check:

But this isn’t necessarily only an ad hom; there might be some merit to it. And it brings up a change to discuss the detail, so thanks for that.

Wednesday is the day you get groups fast.

This matters most for the WB, ofc. On Wednesday morning, groups are instant. I can get through 4 characters in an hour, easily, guaranteed. Friday? Not so much. So Wednesday is a must for the WB.

Obsidian Keys? Well, not really quests anymore. All my characters have weeks’ worth of Fragments and Framings in their bags, so whenever I do them, it takes just a few seconds to make the Key and hand in. So Obsidian Keys take effectively zero time - they aren’t an actual activity anymore.

So call that an hour on Wednesdays.

4 Feasts = 1 hour.

4 Sieges = 1 hour.

Thing is with Feasts and Sieges is that when I look, I find there’s one in half or three-quarters of an hour, so I might as well just log out and come back then. Yes, I could leave these for another day, but while I’m there I typically check them off.

4 Primal Futures = hour (and a half? depends a bit,)

Hunts? I’m most likely to find one by coincidentally flying over it, and maybe do one or two of the stages, or even just find a chest in my bags as I fly. I have done a couple of full hunts, but since I have rarely got in on the ground floor, I’ll call it 10 minutes each.

And then maybe there are a couple of WQ or other quests worth doing, which I will take care of on Thursday.

So Wednesday, I’m looking at 4-5 hours. Thursday 2 hours. Saturday evening/Sunday another 2 hours.

2 hours a day is roughly my historic norm, so that is ok.

While I could spread 6-7 hours out over 7 days, it would get awfully thin.

7 Likes

Why do that at all?

It reads more like a chore list than playing a game.

If that was all i had to log in to, i wouldn’t.

6 Likes

Fair question.

It may sound odd, but I’m fond of my mage and paladin, and I feel both a desire and an obligation to keep in touch with them. Hunter and DH are alts of convenience, but since I levelled them, I do feel an obligation to do something with them. I’m carefully avoiding all my other alts, so I won’t feel the same obligation! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

An afternoon and an evening.

That’s about as much gameplay fun I can squeeze out of Dragonflight each week.

I only play my Priest.
I have little to no interest in Mythic+ keys, rated Arena, or organized raid progression.
I understand this narrows the gameplay breath of WoW down.

Nevertheless,

I always do the World Quests that have interest, which is fewer as I complete each Renown.

I do the Storm’s Fury event whenever it happens to be up. There are a few rewards I still haven’t acquired.

I do the Soup event whenever it’s up and I’m around – it’s easy reputation. I do the Siege event once a week. And I do the Hunt event three times in a row.

I do the two weekly Dungeon quests for the extra reputation.

I do the weekly event depending on what it is. If it’s Timewalking I do one Dungeon for the quest that gives 500 currency. If it’s Pet Battles I skip it completely. If it’s World Quests I complete it without noticing. And if it’s Dungeons I do 4 Mythics.

I do the weekly crafting quests.

I do the world boss.

I do 2-3 wings of LFR.

That’s it.

I used to do Solo Shuffle and Epic Battlegrounds for Conquest to get the PvP set, but I have acquired that, so now I don’t really do that anymore.
Meaningful World Quests are drying up quickly as my Renowns are almost all completed. The Dragonriding ones are nice for gold, and I need the Maruuk & Iskaara for a little bit of reputation still, but otherwise I’m done with that as well.
I have collected all the toys and transmogs that I have found interesting.
LFR and weekly events will come to an end soon also. I do LFR for Weekly Vault to get sockets, which is compelling for another few weeks. The weekly events lose meaning next week I think, because the gear rewards have no value, I’m drowning in Timewalking currency, and extra reputation is pointless when I don’t need more.

I hope that The Forbidden Reach in patch 10.0.7 can add an hour or two of gameplay on a daily basis. That would be sweet. Some flying around, collecting and killing, progressing some gameplay-driven objective, and having some lore and story on the side, that would be sweet. But I haven’t looked into the specifics of patch 10.0.7 and its gameplay loop, so I don’t know what to expect.

It’s WoD.

To me it feels like when I played WoD.
I had the same mindset and gameplay approach to WoW back then. Casual outdoor progression with infrequent group activities or PvP on the side.
And that dried up quickly. The expansion was termed raid or die for a reason.
Dragonflight feels the same. You get through the bulk of the outdoor stuff fairly quickly. And then you can spend some extra time getting everything to 100%, but then that’s also it.
Beyond that it’s Mythic+, Solo Shuffle, or Mythic raiding that the game revolves around.

In WoD I took a break after the first few months and until the last patch came out.
This time I have my eyes set on Diablo IV.

I saw the preview for patch 10.1 and it doesn’t seem as if Blizzard have much compelling zone content planned, let alone solo gameplay, so it’s just another Season with more Mythic+, Solo Shuffle, and Raiding, after the initial month of story and zone progression dries out.

I think Blizzard knows that they are bleeding a lot of casuals, solo players, outdoor folks, whatever you want to call them. That player segment who usually get their fill from zones like Zereth Mortis, Nazjatar, Argus, or similar.
Dragonflight has little to offer to that player segment, and it seems as if Blizzard struggles to find the resources to add a lot of gameplay to the open world. The low volume of quests and world quests in Dragonflight being a good example. It’s less than half of what Shadowlands had.
It’s like there’s too little butter spread across too much bread.

I wish for more content, but I think Blizzard are already trying to squeeze as much content out of the limited resources they have. But it’s not much. It’s the least there’s been since WoD.
So unless you subscribe for the infinite replay value of Mythic+, Solo Shuffle, or Mythic Raid progression, then the game experience grinds to a halt quite quickly I think.

9 Likes

Why not have a bit of fun in the world PvP zones?

I’ve sometimes head over to do a world PvP quest, and before I know it, it’s time to log out for the evening. There’s often a massive skirmish going on, and it can be a lot of fun. Add in dragon riding & knocking people off their mounts - endless amounts of fun!

1 Like

I do the WQs, and then i’m mainly into older content hunts lately. Current projects are refarming cata reps on my DK as I switched main from my Shammy this expansion and my ocd wants the old reps at max on my main :laughing:

I’m also hunting tmog from soloable raids and mounts, it keeps me busy enough for most the reset usually.

1 Like

I did a few of those, earlier in the expansion, but I don’t find them as absorbing as you do. I envy you that! I wish I could get as much fun out of them, but after 5 or 10 minutes, I’m pretty much done. Also, Horde dominates on my shard!

I haven’t done any of that in this expansion.

In BfA I did it a lot.

And I think the reason why is that in BfA the open world had a lot of good stuff to offer. And therefore the 30% bonus Alliance players got for turning Warmode on was super compelling. Would I like 30% extra Artifact Power? Hell yes! High item level weapon for killing 20 Horde players? Yes please!

Plus the theme of the expansion and the way Blizzard had designed the gameplay – having to do World Quests on the other faction’s island – really helped drive home the PvP atmosphere.
And you were grounded, so there was an air of tension as you rode around in Zuldazar knowing that hundreds of Horde were idling nearby.

In Dragonflight I don’t actually spend much time in the outdoor world, and most of it is spent flying. Those few World Quests there are, they are quickly completed. And they don’t really reward anything that I desperately want 30% extra of.
I also don’t really feel the PvP vibe in Dragonflight. I’m a sucker for the lore and the story, and I need Jaina or Varian or Genn to tell me that the Horde are vile criminals in order for me to get motivated to do PvP. There has to be some faction pride and banter, but there’s none of that in Dragonflight. PvP is not mentioned by a word anywhere.

There doesn’t seem to be many gameplay-driven objectives either.
Again, it feels like Blizzard are trying to get the most out of the least possible.
In Legion they had the towers and the arena that was pretty cool. And there were numerous of them.
In Dragonflight there really isn’t anything. It’s a few Warmode PvP quests and beyond that it’s just ganking.

It’s too little to be compelling.

2 Likes

I used to have this as a fallback, and it was great to be able to burn an hour or so with a mildly entertaining hunt. I completed one of every Mage and Paladin tier set, up to … somewhere in Legion.

You wouldn’t think it. but the huge gold nerf took a lot of the fun out of it. Usetabe, I would run the raid, and even if I didn’t get a drop I was looking for, I took home some pocket change. Now I don’t. It puts a damper on the idea. And, as I saud, I already do have nearly all of the sets.

why are u farming rep? paragons are useless…just complete it once and play an alt or farm old content

Your comment about the hunt is interesting cus I just popped into Dragonflight cus I had levelled to 69 on a char, elswhere in the game not in Dragonflight, and I was completing a few bits and pieces and this Centaur pops up on screen blabbing on about a hunt. I looked on the map and there is an area marked with a horn. I took no notice of it but for some reason was repeatedly being given rep for one of these four legged factions. So maybe rep is the reward. Dunno I only have 2 renown … think thats what its called.

I did try again to use that dragon thing but gave up again. Interestingly yesterday I was doing the tamer in Dustwallow and decided to pop in to see Onyxia. Must be about the third time I’ve ever been in there. So I pretty much two shot the thing as one shot just earns you a swarm of whelps… and to my surprise in my bag I discover the Onyxian Drake. Which was nice. Sadly I can’t stomach Dragonflight so I level to 70 by other means and then just start over. Now that keeps me busy all week and I always have something to do. Dunno how anyone copes with them annoying dragons all week. Thank goodness I have slowfall. You should have seen me trying to fly thro one of those glyph things yesterday. Made the cat laugh.

Have fun with your Dragonflight… I’ll be 70 probably tonight so back to Exile Reach and not a dragon to be seen. Glorious. I’m sure they hate me.

2 Likes

At the same time im kinda happy that theres no more world quests when u complete them at the beginning of the week & then it hits me that theres nothing for me to do for the rest of the week once im done with them.

I started fishing so that id have 20 of everything for the next reset, but even if it takes a while to catch them ill still have days of nothing to do.

1 Like

3k rep weekly if the weekly activity is not one of the ones that pop at a specific time(hate them with a passion cause i can never ever catch them) and then doing only the garrison missions for [Patrolling Draenor]

May or may not play classic for a few hours. Past that I’m just playing other games or doing something else. Sub runs out soon and I won’t be back for a while.

3 Likes

Kind of have a similar approach - We’d/Thurs, Sat/Sun - done - post rep to an alt.
… last weekend for a change created an Orc and got her to 55 to do heritage chain when it opens up. Will do the same this weekend on creating a human :+1:

1 Like

Me too. :rofl:

I see Siege in 42 minutes, so I go off and do something else. I log on 44 minutes later, and you know the rest - I might get a Captain Lancer kill if I’m lucky.

1 Like