My Warrior can wear a Yeti costume or look like Sailor Moon in combat, but not Leather or Mail. Why?

Seriously, back in the day the argument that you need to be able to distinguish players’ classes at a glance made sense. But back then, we didn’t have all these Store, Trading Post, and Holiday sets that let you look like pretty much anything.

In most pop culture, Warriors aren’t only depicted as hulking beasts in metal armour. There are characters like Geralt of Rivia who wear mostly leather and mail. Even WoW has its famous orcish Blademasters.

I think it’s time to remove some of these restrictions. Perhaps not everything? Maybe individual old items could be flagged as equippable by more classes?

11 Likes

Most if not all restrictions will be lifted with TWW afaik

3 Likes

In TWW, any char will be able to collect the transmog appearance of any armor piece, not just what they are able to equip. Which I think is the point you’re getting to.

2 Likes

Collect yes? But wear? Ive heard nothing about that. Just thinking thats what OP is after.

4 Likes

Nope, just the way you acquire transmog unfortunately. For example, a Priest can unlock gear for a Warrior alt.

2 Likes

I mean, I mentioned Geralt of Rivia as an example of a Warrior wearing Leather and Mail armour. I dont mean just unlocking items for other characters.

Ah that’s unfortunate. Was sure I’ve read something like that

In the beginning this was an aspect of PvP where you was ment to show the kind of armor you where wearing to more easily be identified. That whole thing is a moot point now so I really dont understand why transmogs are restricted to armor type. It dont have any point at all anymore.

No fun allowed in this game.

1 Like

Ah, but those ones generate income and/or engagement…! I agree the approach is inconsistent, though I (just about) understand reasons for them remaining so.

I suppose they could argue it’s “civillian gear” but maybe it is still some old hold onto class identity, though with you being able to wear BoE raid sets of other classes that kind of goes out the window. Perhaps it will come in a few years.

I don’t think so.
They’re removing (most) restrictions on learning transmogs so a warrior can learn a cloth transmog if thy loot some robes or a mage can unlock a 2 handed sword even though they can’t wield it.

I do think it’s time for them to loosen the transmog restrictions. I’d be happy with them letting Hats, Gloves and Boots be any armour type but I woundn’t be opposed to even looser.

1 Like

The restrictions simply make no sense.
And if they truly want to keep “class identity” for PvP purposes, then simply disable transmogs when inside a PvP context, problem solved.

3 Likes

Or do as other games. Instead of a name you see a persons class - in PvP only.

Mog limits should be removed
And add an option to hide other pål mogs fir ppl who get upset over mogs

Win/win

1 Like

Was he really a warrior though.

Traditional warriors dont use magic.

He is a witcher not a warrior

2 Likes

I made the same comments a few months back and I was told by a few responders that I was incorrect. The only restriction that is lifted is that you can collect the gear and pass it on to your alts or put it into your delv bank - but that character cannot mog it if its not gear made for the same class.

I know, but his fighting style is basically that of a Fury Warrior, mixed with elements of Rogue and Mage. Just an example, though.

In general, I’d say it is more common to see Warrior-type characters in pop culture wearing a mix of plate, mail, and cloth armour, than strictly Plate.

Aragorn is another example, and most characters in Game of Thrones.

lol, no, he is most definately not

Well the example you used is not the best, but in most fantasy games warriors are with strong plate armor only on a battlefield or as guards, it’s uncommon to see a full plated warrior move around on a quest with 50 kg of plate on him :rofl:

That was also the case in real life, the battefield armor was protected with great care and they were not roaming the dirty roads with them except under few circumstances.

Anyway, I see recently a change of mindset by allowing more and more leather like chest (the last trial of style provided 5-6 pieces), but I do agree that I would love to be able to choose other piece of equiment than plate for tmog (most of them are way too massive/ bulky).

I personally hate seeing my shoulders overlapping with other pieces so I’m limited in my choices which can be annoying…

There is probably a bit technical limitation more than a design decision.