New Realm Population Label System

Why the effing balls didn’t it do that in the first place though.

4 Likes

The more interesting part is why this was introduced in the first place :slight_smile:

If the population in the last years is shrinking you don’t want that to be seen on the server labels. If servers are measured against the most populated one and they all shrink in parallel (i.e. with similar percentages) their labels won’t change.

How in the world do you propose they have 30,000 players on one server? Vanilla was designed for 3000-4000.

What do you do when layering is gone? Where do those 30,000 go?

Indeed, if they put more layers, it’s going to be a bloodbath later on if enough people stays. People will be pissed off once again when the layers are gone and massive queues form. It’s better to have queues now and force people to move to different servers than slap a short fix with more layers. On the other hand, adding more servers might result in some of them being dead, so one of the solutions would be to allow people to transfer character from dead servers, but that would possible mean, loosing your name.

LOL, this explains a lot, yet im not even a bit surprised sadly. The guy who designed the old system and the guy who approved it should maybe work on something more simple. Its like if a builder building a house would instead of using actual units of measurement just go like “well this wall will be longer than that wall and the ceiling will be higher than the floor”.

1 Like

Is there any plans for maximum capacity to be increased, also after a player base drop off (because we all know some will quit classic) It might be decreased?

I know You’re trying to make Vanilla Experience here, but let’s be honest, durning 2004 realms were maybe at 10k players peak, there were much more realms than we have now, so the distribution was much bigger, technology went foward, back then I know each server couldn’t handle so huge traffic, now we can. But It will be an Issue on mob resawn aswell. Well, I’m lookin forward to get a blue answer.
by the way, thanks for briging back Vanilla taste

I think Ion Hazzikostas covered that a little bit in the recent Forbes interview.
You can dig through it here:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/hnewman/2019/08/26/warcraft-classic-layering-and-realm-queues-ion-hazzikostas-explains-why-youre-waiting-to-log-in/

1 Like

Why are all the servers now “Low” then?

I assume because the population number is based on the actual number of people online.

because now after their shenenigans last night many people remade toons on other full but less full then shazzrah servers making all levels having ques and being full now.

it shows how deliberate move it was to screw other servers by lieing to people about their real population .

if people would see that servers were also full like they were they would never move out of most popular pvp servers

and with this move they did.

because its 7 am on wednesday and people are at work or wake up to go to work.

1 Like

Im not here to blame or rage but this is what happens when you have NO open beta for an MMO launch. Thx god I am still away from home on vacation and cant play anyway.

Ah, I always thought the figure was informing how many accounts are present on the server (eg, online and offline population).

The way to “fix it” would be for them to just decide that some people would not be allowed onto certain realms. It’s not a solution you’d want.

That would be a misleading figure. The only meaningful way to label servers it’s the one just implemented.

1 Like

Is there any chance you show us the alliance/horde ratio of each realm?
I really wish to play on a PvP realm with a balanced faction ratio so world pvp would be atleast a bit more fair and fun and less zergy/onesided…

1 Like

So… you only fixed how the servers are labeled rather than fixing the cause? Good job! Problem solved!

4 Likes

this is so underrated, and ALSO 15 years late. i still dont know why this is not as standard on ALL realms both in classic and retail.

1 Like

Because it would only promote the disbalance :frowning: You will never create an Ali character on a 30 % Ali server which would only make things worse…

Just because kids will roll the bigger side intead of the smaller.