Not a fan of the SUPPOSED timeskip

I do not think it is a good idea AT ALL. Orcs and humans have a similar lifespan. If by the time we end shadowlands several years have passed in the SL to the point Anduin is old, that means Thrall, Jaina and perhaps even Baine will have died. Do they really want to get rid of these characters that fast? Also, what about the problems regarding Anduin marrying, the Scarlet Crusade and stuff? Will that happen when he’s old?!

What do you think?
And please, do not come with troll comments like: burr hurr i like it cause i want Anduin, Thrall, Jaina and Baine dead lok’tar ogar for sylvanas!

2 Likes

Exactly those four people seem to be trapped in the Shadowlands while we are there, so doesn’t seem like those would be aged up. :wink:

But no, as a role-player, I feel a time-skip would be desastrous for my personal experience, and not half as benefitial as a “narrative reset” as some people seem to think. I also don’t think replentishing the armies of Azeroth would be a good thing anyways.

2 Likes

I’m honestly all in favour of said time skip.

I think it would create the perfect opportunity to change the setting significantly, bring in a new cast of characters, facilitate the removal of certain overused plots, and overall create a fresh new environment slightly unburdened from the current stories.

Also, it would give some needed breathing space to the setting between world ending threats. And would facilitate major changes to the characters involved.

But i do think this should be addressed in a WoW 2.0 kind of situation. Maybe with a brand new RTS to cover the events that happened between the two.

2 Likes

I hope to live and see this day.

You forgot Thrall there my friend!

FOR SYLVANAS!

2 Likes

+9001

messing around with timelines is the absolute pinnacle of hack laziness. it’s what writers do when they want to impose themselves on an IP but have neither the vision nor the talent to do so without dumping on the lore that already exists.

when your favourite IP starts introducing time skips and alternate universe that’s usually a sign it’s revving the motorcycle while a shark sits patiently beneath the ramp at the end of the pier.

1 Like

I like it.
I want Anduin, Thrall, Jaina and Baine dead. They deserve it.

LOK’TAR OGAR!!
For Sylvanas!
For Garrosh!
For the Horde!

1 Like

But doesn’t time go by faster in the Maw? I mean their models did not change but if they are locked there for long wouldn’t they age?

Actually what we saw before was that time was slower in the Shadowlands. One DK quest guy said that the years we had outside were just days for him, or something like that. But in an interview I am too lazy to look up right now Ion essentially said that there isn’t a linear conversion and time in the Shadowlands might move slower or faster depending on what the devs want at that moment, essentially. But since aour characters are in the Shadowlands with them, I have a hard time imagining us playing there for 20 years or so. The whole idea of a Shadowlands time skip was that we could have the time skip, without aging up the player characters.

1 Like

Yeah but while I do understand that you’ll find that Jaina has supposedly already tried to escape multiple times and the others have dialogue too that hints that they’ve been in the maw for a long time.

It’s good because the “one world-ending threat a year” limits storytelling & just seems ridiculous and kind of stupid at this point. Alternatively, if they don’t skip, they should work on the power creep so we don’t oneshot literal gods every 2nd weekend.

Also gives them the opportunity to rework the old zones and weave new stories.

And that’s where the “not linear” part comes in. It might have been faster yesterday, and slower tomorrow. Also… didn’t they have time for some attempts? I assume they were abducted in the pre-event?

1 Like

For the dark lady. Baine and Jaina better die. Victory for Slylvanas!

I mean like not skip like 50 years… of course 3 or 4 years is acceptable!

1 Like

They’ve been around since the RTS, they’ve all had their character arcs and need to be sent to the farm.

Last time we developed a WoW exclusive character(Garrosh and Dranosh Saurfang) they died. So I say it is better if we stick to those characters we already have.

I want a timeskip.

The current World of Warcraft story is almost played out.

The PC has become to powerful and there are no real threats left sans the Void Lords

Shadowlands is an a.s.spull as it is.

I personally would like to see a time skip of at least a 100 years.

1 Like

I want a time skip and i think WoW needs one desperatly for the story the characters and the game world.

I’ve been levelling characters like mad because I hate the end game of this expansion and i’m currently bored as feck with nothing of interest to do. But levelling new chars i’ve noticed how broken the game actually is and realise it needs fixing asap and i think Blizz have finally realised too.

Depending on what class you pick you’ll start at random levels and at very confusing parts of the story. DK’s start at 55, DH at 98, allied races at 20 and they all start in very different places. You level a normal char and you start at lvl 1 but you’re leveling in the Cata era but then you jump back to Northrend or BC after you finished Cata. After that it’s even more confusing if you pick Pandaland to carry levelling and from there you’re into WoD which just confuses the feck out of you more. For new players this game story and leveling experience is one giant clusterf#ck and makes no sense.

This game is in desperate need of a full Azeroth rework. It needs a quest line that runs from lvl 1 through to BFA so people can understand wtf is going off. It is very off-putting to play a new game when the story and characters are so messed up it just contradicts and retcons itself constantly. Besides all of these issues this game needs a re-work so that we can come back to new characters, new stories, new threats, new content !!

4 Likes

Gnome Man says stop.

This might be true, but that seems to be totally independent of a time skip. The state of the Azeroth that we see is already quite a few years back by now.

1 Like

A timeskip is neccesary for a full Azeroth rework.

No more yearly planetary threats where everything is on the line where the pc character powers up /gets a legendary item and then beats the big bad in the end of expansion raid.

A time skip allows for better worldbuilding and allows for the pc character to put more effort in dealing with local threats and the remnants of world ending threats from years ago.

1 Like

And the time skip would fix that… how? By having one gap between the yearly world-ending threats that come after? Sorry, but the only way to stop having yearly world-ending threats… is to stop making the yearly threats necessarily world-ending. There are quite a few levels of dangers below that one, that coukd employ a noble adventurer to solve it. But as long as Blizzard thinks, rightly or wrongly, that people want to play warcraft super heroes, nothing will change. The gap wouldn’t help one bit, and would be forgotten with the next update.

How? Why? I don’t see it. How is “20 years after the last upheaveal, the kobolds are at it again!” better worldbuilding than “Since the last wars have taken a toll, there haven’t been the forces to deal with the kobold population as usual, and they have become a genuine menace”?

That the world is in a desolate state is ideal to build it up as a dangerous place for normal folk, that needs heroes to protect it. A powerful world power can employ you for small-scale stuff… but it doesn’t really need you for it. That’s what soldiers are for. A weak realm does need you, for anything you are willing to do.

A time skip doesn’t advance the world-building any more than a continuation of the story does. It just skips the consequences, to continue doing the same stuff they always did. The world-building I want to see is the factions having to struggle to get back to their feet, in a world that is full of contenders, who would very much like to be the ones setting the tone in the world for once. Show us the world that is being created by our weakness, not our continual strength. That’s what we could have in a zone revamp that starts now, instead of when populations bounced back. Don’t give us a world that is ready for the next big threat, give us one that can barely handle what’s already there, and feels like it could break if another catastrophe hits.