Not all Roleplay is valid

Used to be some in old Scholomance, actually, but that was all the way back in classic when the blood elf models weren’t in yet.

But it can’t be entirely false, either. Surely Stormwind Guards don’t just let ANYONE into the city. Especially a walking corpse.

The gentleman is welcome to present a source.

2 Likes

We’re not in a court of law. Do you honestly think in-universe the guards just let anyone enter the city? Like, they see a shambling corpse coming their way, no tabard on, with a bloody sword in hand, and they just shrug and step aside?

We have had Death Knight NPCs walk around the capitals on various occasions, notably during the Shadowlands prepatch. What’s more is that you had Orc and Troll DKs patrolling Stormwind and Humans and Dwarves patrolling Orgrimmar.

That is a compelling argument my good friend, but it does not appear to contain a citation regarding the existence of rogue Ebons and permits.

2 Likes

A walking care bear in my dark fantasy setting?!
No way!

1 Like

The absence of evidence is not the same as the evidence of absence.

If you choose to believe that the guards are just there for show and let anyone in no questions asked, power to you. I find that stupid.

Also

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Gravewalker_Gie

She was the first one during MoP, wasn’t she. I do remember walking around on a Horde-server with the plate armor on a warrior, it was kinda funny to see some reactions back then.

In this case I’m afraid it might appear to be the case, sport. We have plenty of Death knights not affiliated with the Ebon Blade and not once are they described as rogues for it, nor do we see any permits being issued out.

Now hold your horses there, buster. I never said I hold that opinion. I’m just asking for a kind reference to rogue Ebons being arrested if they lack a permit from a guard guild.

1 Like

Allow me to point out that the Death Knights were given pardon by Tirion.

If the Death Knight is not cutting his way through the guards associates to get INTO the city, then they have no reason to stop every Death Knight who walks in.

They can leer and mutter profanities under their breath at the Death Knights presence, sure, but there is little reason to arrest them out of the blue.

6 Likes

Was reading the whole thread through and this caught my attention. Staying true to your (and Dirge’s) standard of RP is valid imho because that creates strong RP. Surely people are different and have different standards on RP, which probably plays a part in what OP was talking about.

Being someone who likes to RP with variety of groups and people, I can see both sides of the coin to a certain degree.

When on DMed/scripted event, it can get a little tricky when the DM has done work planning the event and people have scheduled the evening expecting RP on certain theme, a random approach can sometimes mix things up. Depends on the situation and amount of people approaching… and what kinds of characters are approaching (are they hostile or friendly). In such situation, would the eventing people be expected to drop their event and alter the evening’s plan according to the approach (and then re-schedule their event which can also cause issues)?
Although if a person is just letting another know “I’m in DMed event, can’t react to your approach now” is still more proper way to go about it than saying “go away, you’re derailing the event” or just leaving the person hang and be confused about why they’re ignored.

But to bring that up isn’t without looking at the other side of the coin as well. The gap between how much guilds which aren’t part of PCU and those which are, approaching people spontaneously is… huge. It’s been disheartening to see how some guilds I’ve been trying to approach casually have been more about OOC bonds between people who have been on the server forever than IC - thus no matter what my character says or does wouldn’t matter because I’m not part of the clique, and nothing which my char does could change that. Which has never been the issue with PCU guilds. Being randonly attacked by Scarlets and Grim Gest, without them dictating whether my char survives or not has been refreshing while RPing in open world. Getting spontaneously assist Dirge with their missions has been fun. Not to mention spying on Highbloods and various Horde members collaborating because… why not? :smirk: No gatekeeping, no attitudes, just RP.

Which brings me back to which OP talked about. While I also support having certain standards about RP (even though those standards are my own), the balance between allowing people to RP whatever they like -and- being somewhat realistic about RP should be found. Personally I find it easier just to pretend the dark rangers in SW don’t exist unless they’re okay having their characters attacked - because most of my chars would do just that. But also I don’t want to have hours long argument about such standards, but to enjoy the hobby.

2 Likes

Can I get a TLDR on that post.

1 Like

Not all humans will be super high fantasy though, not many people will know the arcane and draenei tech, the mysteries of the universe ect, many will know how to hunt and kill, feed themselves, make a few quid n get by and thats it and thats branded as low fantasy because they aren super saiyens who know everything

Stormwind bad, tribalism bad, permit RP bad, just RPing and adhering to lore good.

2 Likes

This reply may be exceedingly late, but out of all the ones you listed I can see “Jungle” Vulpera been the most reasonable. Zuldazar (and Nazmir) are a relatively small distance from Vol’dun, and it isn’t too much of a stretch to believe a few Vulpera found themselves there for whatever reason.

1 Like

Yeah I guess so
But
WHY would you label yourself a new subspecies of Vulpera when there’s literally 0 differences aside different fur colour/patterns?

6 Likes

The age-old question of “What do I put in the race part of my TRP that sounds extra-special?”

8 Likes

better yet, Vol’dun used to be a lush jungle.

So jungle vulpera is kind of just the default.

4 Likes