Not all Roleplay is valid

Cheers boss

Stromic in 10 letters

Edit: The complete list for people who don’t want to conform and what to set themselves apart from a setting like Stormwind

-Eredar (If you are a Draenei IC and you call yourself Eredar then you’re completely missing the point.)
-Man’ari (Only good if you’re RPing a demon and not just RPing a Draenei that’s been corrupted, you know who you are…)

-Tanarisian
-Nazmani
-Jungle, Arctic, Desert, Swamp Vulpera
-Tirasian
-Yaungol
-“Non-aligned” Sin’dorei

Anymore to add?

4 Likes

Frost vrykul? Those walrus people? Snow dryads???

A bit late to the party, but if I remember correctly the Sylvanas novel canonised the fact that non-light haired Thalassian elves are (extremely) rare as she basicly thinks about how she’s looking at a sea of light-coloured hair with a few black and brown haired elves.

Also, apparently all redhaired thalassian elves paint their hair, I guess?

Okay you’re correct, but i just went by off-shoots of playable races.

1 Like

Lordaeronian cursed word

Ngl, if that’s actually what’s been put in the book then that’s an incredibly weird take by Golden. I guess we can paint it as just Sylvanas’s own strange biases and sheltered experiences but that still makes it weird in some way.

8 Likes

Inb4 some dregs spring on this to decry Blood Elves who have dark skin as not being “lore-friendly”. Assuming they haven’t already.

1 Like

It’s a good thing when people out themselves with that opinion because it’s incredibly telling of their world views and is an immediate sign to disassociate myself from them.

3 Likes

A symptom of not being able to distinguish Warcraft from other settings, or even real life.

Different skin colours and complexions don’t have to be tied to geographical origin. Your black human doesn’t have to be from Stranglethorn, and they’re certainly not “exotic”. We have this world in which people of every colour can coexist without malicious history of exploitation and prejudice and some people choose to bring it into the setting anyway.

10 Likes

When I played a dark sinned character, on numerous occassions he had remarks about him being from Uldum and such. It was just very uncomfortable.

9 Likes

My Half Elf has somewhat dark skin…

I dread to think what’s been said about her…

“Where are you from?”
“Stormwind.”
“No but where were you born?”
“Old Town.”
“I mean where are your parents from?”
“Oh me mum’s from Northshire but my dad moved over from Redridge.”

12 Likes

“But where are you really from?”

“Well, long ago the universe was a mix of light and void, order and chaos that existed in a perpetual and unending balance…”

6 Likes

People bring their IRL prejudices into roleplay. I’m not saying it happens all the time or that it’s always very aggregious, but it’s always slightly uncomfortable to anybody with good taste and commonsense.

I’ve seen characters described as “mocha” and “mixed race” and it’s so blatantly obvious that the player behind those characters are fetishizing skin colour, because the character’s attributes aren’t from Azeroth - they’re from Earth, and they’re bloody weird attributes to obsess over regardless.

Worse than that, I’ve seen a character in Stormwind specifically describe dark-skinned humans as “the ones that commit all the crimes” which is just… extremely uncomfortable to read.

9 Likes

Anyways Kuwei, I’ll have to bite the bullet and take the flags here which you earlier called for me.

The mentality of stigmatising a choice in character creation is stupid, I agree. But on both ends of the spectrum.

Choosing your darker character to be born in a warmer more exotic conditions such as uldum doesn’t have to be associated with the stigma of the r word, or the stereotype word.

It’s sorta like you promoting the PCU, when in your racism crusade you fail to acknowledge that in the mid stages of the AD/D, a bot was installed solely to remove the one n word because it was being used so prolifically. I’ll say you were naive

And saying racism doesn’t exist in wow is rtarded, you’ve got the elves and trolls, the dwarves and elves? You got the humans and orcs, and probably plenty more.

:grey_question:
you seem lost, friend

i don’t think you need more than 2 braincells to rub together to know that people are talking about weird human skin colour racism being forced into WoW.

2 Likes

My point is that the exaggerated narrative that the second you play a black character in wow you’re immediately bombarded with racism is stupid and made up

It does happen. It’s not necessarily constant and it’s not always people being actively malicious but to deny that it happens is really silly.

Nobody is saying it happens constantly but c’mon. it happens more than it should, it’s not just the odd person trolling that pulls this BS off unfortunately.

Whilst “racism” can definitively be a story narrative in many different fantasy universes, and be an interesting dynamic (Obviously not promoting racism here, just for any mongos on a certain site trying to catch stuff out of context), in said universes (Like WoW for example) having all these races such as Orcs, monsters, Elves, etc.

Why in God’s grand kingdom would people ever focus on the SKIN COLOR of a fellow HUMAN?

Whilst Warcraft definitively has included “racist” themes in lore, it’s never been anywhere near what some try to portray it as (to justify their own behavior) nor ever directed at someone’s skin color, but rather traits such as being a different “race” (as in Orc vs Elf), background, animosity and stereotypes.

Let’s not forget either that WoW is a PG12 game. Not only is there no in-universe justification, but neither is there any form of OOC/rating/whatever that would justify someone walking up to a dark-skinned character and go “Lmao you coal-skin”.

If a character truly was to portray “racist” tendencies in a high fantasy setting, they would 100% focus on the fact they’re human, and the other is an Orc. Not because someone came from Tanaris.

TL;DR:

Cringe edgelords justifying their IC racism against skin color amongst fellow humans/whatever in-game, are just neckbeards that need to go back to cooming over the southern slaver parts of Django Unchained or some :poop: , that has no place in WoW or RP.