Not all Roleplay is valid

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/547724275575029773/991840980527497226/unknown.png

2 Likes

Yeah, its easy to forget sometimes many of us had awful concepts maybe at one stage, or was generally hard to rp with, for whatever reason, its not good to sh*t on people for bad rp, but that doesnt seem to be whats happening here at all, just basic standards being discussed
Edit: Id never advocate for harassing/bullying someone for rp, for all we know that could be some poor lil 12 year old behind the screen ffs.

4 Likes

Oh I certainly did
During my younger years of RP on AD, back in Legion where I started, a fresh newbie, I had procured the Sandstone Drake mount and thought ‘Hey, this seems like a cool thing to RP!’

So I was in Orgrimmar, Valley of Honour, in that mount form, emoting knocking crates over with the tail, one person whispered me to say ‘Hey, nobody’s going to want to interact with you doing that’, before I could respond it turns out they’d blocked me.

But it did certainly give me a lesson that people WILL tell you when something’s not exactly right, and I’d say I’ve been better off since then.

1 Like

Nah, you must sit down, bang your head against the brick wall that is this player, whose archetype just shrieks pee-she-you notsies when their character concept is challenged, and educate them on the finer points of not treating WoW as their personal gmod RP server.

Forget the fact some of us have been playing this game for 17 years and would rather drink acid than retread this tired slogan. Or how some of us can tell what’s wasted effort of our limited time spent playing this game as functioning adults and would rather avoid them.

For me I think mine was the fact I learned to rp at the age of like around 14-15 in elwynn(Steamwheedle Cartel) ffs… so for a long time was some super saiyan human paladin in a guild based in eastvale lead by some nelf, and the idea of losing a fight IC wasnt a thing, I split lead a guild from westbrook that basically did nothing but random power emotey fights with the former guild man it was cringe af now looking back, eventually turfed up to SW n kinda started learning abit from more experienced rp’ers who know the elwynn scene was shoddy anywhere you go

1 Like

For the veterans out there: Does the ignore function also works locally when both players are on the same screen?

Yeah I also get that aswell, hence why I ignore/blank alot of the time, alot of the time when tryna clue up a rp’er its met with hostility and no one gets paid to spend their evening hours teaching people how to rp who dont wish to improve on their rp, after a while the temptation to even give a helpful /w fades, only time I would really I think these days is if someone had in their trp “new to rp please be patient” or something of the kind which is seen now n then, which clearly indicates they are new n willing to learn

Honestly I find the excuse of “maybe they’re new, you should try to educate them” nonsense anyway.

You know what I did before I started RPing in WotLK/Cata (started playing in TBC)? I googled “world of warcraft history” and I played Warcraft III. This let me to know the basic, recent history of the world of Warcraft and eventually ended me up on Wowwiki and Argent archives.

Was my concept perfect? No. Did I keep working on it? Yes. Do I still RP that very same character? Yes, it’s Shadowtwili.

3 Likes

Pretty sure that person was on the forums once arguing why they were going to do that.

Couldn’t seem to see the difference between my Vulpera being INSPIRED by mordecai from Borderlands and them just straight up being ratchet.

1 Like

Sounds like the one I was arguing with about not just copying a character.

1 Like

Think we all did at the time.

Le reddit moment argument

2 Likes

Unlike me who jumped right in 8D!!!

Same though. It’s good when people aren’t put off by negativity, bad comments, whatever and instead learn to improve.

However…

Do educate the new. I was in the position of being a newbie and nobody cared to educate me but instead just spat ridicule and hatred. It’s always good to try and help someone. And if they don’t want it? Move on!

4 Likes

If all roleplay was valid then we wouldn’t have divides on the server.

Yes technically it’s all valid in the sense that we can’t stop others from doing the roleplay that they want to do but some things are just abhorrent. Thankfully the truly awful stuff like showcasing the worst IRL crimes humanity has to offer in excruciating detail is thankfully rare, but I do think to some extent we should denounce roleplay going into themes that dark.

Or child RP which I’ll refuse to go on about at length again for fear of becoming entirely bald.

Or Goldshire. it’s much nicer when people mention Goldshire as it probably should be in-lore as a quiet, peaceful village assuming the scourge didn’t kill everyone there.

7 Likes

I still have bad flashbacks to February…
February was…
Tough to say the least…

2 Likes

cwookie!! teehee gimme cwookie!

Child rp is just so fking weird on so many levels.

2 Likes

I mean, I think there’s also a semantical understanding of how someone defines ‘valid’.

You pay your subscription fee, you can RP all you want (as long as it’s within ToS) whereever you want whenever you want. You can define that as ‘valid’. And in this way, all RP is valid.

However, if you have a completely outlandish, completely lore-breaking character, RPing in the middle of the Stormwind will force other players to react to you for at least a second. Making the choice of ignoring your character completely is incredibly tedious, especially when the RP is spontaneous and happening on an individual basis. You can agree and coordinate to ignore someone in a guild, but doing so with strangers is a big hassle.

And in that way, not all RP is valid. Bring your lore-breaking to confined spaces where you do not force other players to react to you. You can have a community that does some Witcher-inserts but also half-worgen-half-elf-three-quarters-idiocy, but it’d be really nice if such RP was taken into dungeons or otherwise out-of-way locations. It is not compatible with public roleplay.

2 Likes

As usual I arrive much later than I would like but I just thought I’d drop by to not only congratulate the main point but also affirm it.

Not all RP is valid.

I have been on both sides of this issue, I began RPing at a rather young age and had about as much impulse control as you might expect from a thirteen year old. Once I tried to RP as the son of Lor’themar Theron, who I called the Prince of Silvermoon because I was not even aware that Lor’themar was a regent and not a king.

This dark chapter lasted about an hour until a friend of mine sternly told me just how ridiculous it was as a concept and that if I did not drop it at once he would no longer be interested in roleplaying with me.

Only reason it took him so long I expect was out of a desire to be nice, though my RP was so bad that it threatened to drag him through the dirt by association.

Fast forward a couple years and I found myself in a bizarre situation where a female draenei cornered my character and his followers in Duskwood and claimed that we should all bow down before her because she was the aspect of the twilight dragonflight and would godemote us all to death if we refused.

I told her in no uncertain terms that this was no way to behave if she wanted to get others to roleplay with her and whilst her initial reaction was to put me on ignore I eventually heard back from her that she had dropped the idea for something a great deal less outlandish.

In short, I do think that calling out this behavior as it presents itself is the most efficient way to handle this long-term, however uncomfortable it likely will be.

3 Likes

Dare I say… Most RP is valid.

But not all RP is valid in the WoW setting.

Following the wise words of Dr. Oak: There is a time and place for everything.

3 Likes