Not all Roleplay is valid

No it’s not. Not in it’s entirety.

1 Like

If by Blizzard’s standards continuity exists to tie the hands of the writers, why should we as players really be obligated to uphold it to some form of standard? Blizzard refuses to. Over and over they offer us mere crumbs and we as roleplayers turn it into something grand.

1 Like

the entire universe is 3d printed by things that were themselves likely 3d printed with our sole existance being to be fattened up with anima. idk about you but that doesnt seem like the warcraft i grew up with

i do have a question as i cannot find the answer to this anywhere. Do Blood/High elves get their surname from their father or their mother? do people from the same surname marry?

the reason why im asking is because Lireesa windrunner was born into the Windrunner family, which is how she became ranger general and got the Windrunner bow. so…

what can we understand from this? if anyone can help i am very grateful as it helps me build a family tree :slight_smile:

Perhaps you didn’t read my whole sentence.

Either or.

Not in the Alabama way.

It was a hereditary position held by the Windrunner family until such that there were no Windrunners left in Quel’Thalas to inherit the title.

1 Like

I imagine that elves–like any race in the game–choose to generally marry into the family of greater stature or otherwise decide for themselves in a manner that doesn’t really relate to the gender identity of the people involved.

The Windrunner family is one of the most illustrious in Quel’Thalas’ history so it would make sense to marry into the family rather than out of it.

1 Like

I heard a stork flies down to every elven home with a little basket, and inside that basket is a fortune cookie type thing, the family breaks it open and inside is a random name they take.

i did and i simply stated the part that felt so completely out of the setting that i cant take it serious in roleplay. de otha side lore? fantastic love me some troll lore, let alone about my favourite loa and one thats worshiped by my character.

i also wont ignore people who include shadowlands lore. doesnt mean ill take them seriously ic from my characters pov.

so if Anizah’s family get their surname from their father (Summerlake) not their mother (Riverwind) it is fine?

thank you!

I’ve also had elven characters whose parents–despite being married–kept their original surnames, and my character has chosen to take on the name of the parent who they shared a closer relationship with.

Such as a night elf who took their mother’s surname on account of their father being absent for millennia in the Emerald Dream.

1 Like

The first Windrunner we know of is a bloke, so yes.

2 Likes

Myself and some pals had a nice discussion about the Shadowlands at the Tournament held last week on our DK characters.
It was great, imo, lots of interesting conversations to be had about it.

However I felt genuinely dirty for doing it because so many people elect to die on the hill of “the new lore is bad so I’m going to disregard it” and like… come on. If we’re at the point where we’re just saying canonical stories didn’t happen because we don’t like them then RP is going to struggle forever.

4 Likes

in some places they actually do this. My mother kept her surname which is very common here. Thank you for the help :smile:

1 Like

I’ll acknowledge it to a point.
If some random mage says they’re a Maw Walker though, I’ll just scoff. Or if someone like that Death Rider of Maldraxus that I saw in SW tries to chat to me about the afterlife, I’m just going to walk away. My characters’ beliefs are more important than what others have experienced in many cases (IC).

4 Likes

Anyone roleplaying a Shadowlands entity outside of Shadowlands is not valid, and nobody will ever change my mind.

3 Likes

Absolutely there’s a point where people take it too far, and it’s valid to ignore that because it’s typically lorebreaking.

I just personally can’t stand the “lalalalala I can’t hear you” approach when you’re talking to a DK who would have absolutely been to the afterlife. Retconning an entire expansion’s worth of RP between every interaction based on personal preferences is dumb.

4 Likes

I think they are a human who pledged themselves to the Malders. But it’s still pretty meh.

Also, there are a lot of realms we didn’t visit, so I can still say “my ancestors are bound to the land and X” in my mind.

2 Likes

Elves love nepotism.

5 Likes

Quite literally a US moon guard take that we’d do self harm to acknowledge. We know where that path leads but if you insist I’ll be your buxom alteraci queen.

2 Likes