Now they are not only forcing you into certain builds with legendarys but also with the hero talents?

I would like to Discuss this topic, i am not that good with words i have aspergers and adhd but maybe some of you guys have something to say about that.

1 Like

You have always been forced into builds if you want to play optimal. Nothing new here.

If you don’t like the way your class plays try another something will click. Or just play sub optimally.

It’s really not the end of the world not to be perfect

I personally really don’t care about being forced to play a certain build as long as I find that build fun and if it’s not fun I play something else.

I’m much more interested in the core build and it’s rotations rather than what is slapped on top. A great and fun class will be fun to play regardless. A cursed class with bad gameplay will cursed no matter how good the hero talents is

There will always be a meta. :dracthyr_shrug:

3 Likes

What build are you forced into with the legendary? I haven’t changed my talents at all after getting it. Maybe I’m misunderstanding.

there is nothing to discuss though

there will be always 1 mathematicly bis build .

so if you are meta-slave then you will always choose it.

just copy / paste from wowhead once per season and you gucci .

Well, OP is correct. If I want the Templar hero talents, I pretty much have to spec Eye of Tyr. There are talents in that tree that straight up do nothing if I don’t. That’s beyond optimal/suboptimal, that’s take this talent or just forget about the entire Templar tree.

I will add though that it’s highly standard to take Eye of Tyr.

Same thing with voidweaver and void torrent.

I believe bliz said something along the lines of restructuring trees with key talents like this to make them more central / core to the spec.

You aren’t forced to do anything. There is the meta and there is the non-meta. There are consequences for either. Make your choice.

1 Like

The problem is the consequences right now aren’t “You do a bit less damage” they’re “Your talents don’t work”.

3 Likes

That’s what people here don’t seem to understand, it’s not about being pushed into one talent or your DPS is a bit lower, it’s about “Take this talent, or your whole ‘hero spec’ won’t work!”.

Warriors, for instance, have to take “Thunder clap” for the “Mountain thane”-tree to do
 well, much of anything at all, and at that point, why even make it a choice? It quite frankly isn’t a choice at all.

I will offer a counterpoint to this, though it is minor.

The talent trees are also trying to fulfill the role of class trainers / the levelling progression. Active abilities that are very high up in the trees typically aren’t seen as choices and moreso as abilities you acquire whilst levelling. Where it’s a problem is with stuff like Void Torrent or Eye of Tyr which are literally in the bottom 3rd of the talent tree and clearly meant to be seen as options to be compared with other things that occupy the same levels of the tree.

Misinformation is added to create interactions, negative ones are often more active and lasting. Boosting the threads longevity.

The whole thing is formulated as and likely is simply a bait post.

If we are generous, it is simply posted by someone that are disgruntled and confused. As talent builds are forced by: Tierset → The fight(s) → Optimisation → preferences.
The legendary does not affect the choice of our talents at all, it does affect statweights and your gearing some - but minimally. That goes into the second part of builds, being stats and gearing in general. That is heavily dominated by your talents chosen.

The wording of “forced”, is likely just a term used for ‘to be optimised’, as there are plenty of build options for both gear and talents that are viable for close to all content but the cutting edge. For many, this hyper-optimisation is enforced by themselves and the community perception. Causing the “issues”.

Regardless of misunderstanding / deliberate misrepresentation by the author, there is a legitimate issue with some hero talents requiring spefic on use talents to function, even abilities that are deep at the bottom of the tree clearly meant to be optional.

Then don’t pick that hero spec. At this point the whole fantasy behind the hero trees is pointless - have you seen sentinel for hunter? It isn’t anything to do with night elf sentinels, it’s just what the main ability is called. A stack debuff that goes boom.
You may as well pick whatever ability you like the best and ignore the whole hero wording.

Basically, whats going to happen at start of expan. Is people are going to jump to what IS op. It’ll get nerfed first week of the competitive patch going live, either lightly or massively. And people will then be forced to swap to the 2nd best option available, rinse repeat cause thats how blizzard works.

I agree with the OP, we are being forced into certain builds and we shouldn’t be
 but we need to zoom out and ask why.

Q: Why are we being forced into certain builds?
A: To balance the game, Blizzard must account for your damage, healing, and mitigation.

We also have to keep in mind that: even if we were given free rein to pick whatever talents we wanted, there still would be a meta.

And this is why

I agree with Blizzard and not the OP.

Because; what’s the point of any of this if the meta still exists?

I think there’s a difference between something being stronger than something else and something just not working at all.

If you don’t take void torrent, voidweaver does not function, if you don’t take thunder clap then mountain thane does not function.

2 Likes

Everything in the tree (except talents that you HAVE to path through to progress downwards) is an option to be compared with others in the same level.

I don’t think Eye of Tyr is a good example for this because taking it is a no-brainer for prot pala. A good example (taken from this season of DF) would be feral druids being forced to take Feral Frenzy for the tier set to work. They said it was deliberate to force - I think the word they used was “encourage” - use of talents that weren’t otherwise taken, and since they seem to have doubled down of that for TWW, it seems to be the route they’ve decided to go.

And yet things like major cooldowns are also on talent trees and can be pathed around if someone was so inclined. Some talents are designed to be no brainers, some are designed to be choices. No brainers tend to be more central / higher up, choices lower down.

Voidweaver for shadow locks in two talents on opposite sides of the tree, near enough deciding the whole talent build on the spot.

In theory, yes. In reality, not always.

Anyway, I’m glad someone is still fighting the forced talents because I don’t have the energy for it any more, especially when I know they’re not interested in hearing our arguments.