NPC's using pronouns

“He” and “she” have also been used, and yet we don’t use them towards people that might not like being referred to in such a way.

As someone who’s native language isn’t English, it feels weird being referred to in gender neutral terms, especially since other terms exist. That goes the same for characters I make in video games.

Thanks! This works wonders.

2 Likes

If a particular individual knows the gender of someone then they do not use the term ‘they’ to describe them at every turn. That’s only used when someone doesn’t know the gender of a particular individual.

For example, my best friend, my boyfriend, my mother and my sister all know that I am a guy. So they will use the term ‘he’ to describe me in a conversation. Or when introducing me to someone new.

Equally, if we’re meant to believe that the likes of Anduin and Jaina are familiar enough with my character to know and trust him, it’d be appreciated if he were referred to directly as his actual gender. It’d make many conversations flow more smoothly and be less prone to breaking immersion during what are supposed to be major story beats.

5 Likes

Me not even noticing it was happening should show how little i care.

1 Like

Happy to help. :dracthyr_comfy_black:

2 Likes

Plenty of times NPCs referred to me as “he” [Male (Body 1)] in text.

I think it’s mostly voiced lines where they probably cut down on costs to not have the same line recorded twice. And even then it’s usually “champion” or “hero” in those lines.

But I vaguely remember there were some “theys” as far back as Legion I believe. Not entirely sure though because it frankly would not even particularly catch my attention if not for threads like these.

Hi! You must be new to WoW because it’s been like that for many years.
No, you can’t change it. Would be a nice change for people to pick what they want, but I don’t know if that’s worth the development time and cost to Blizzard.

Spoken lines also refer to you as ‘outlander’, ‘champion’ and whatnot because of the same reason.

Enjoy your stay in WoW.

2 Likes

Okay sure it makes you uncomfortable I’m sure your in a minority that actually care about that but you guys want to make everything political instead of people just being people

2 Likes

In english, using gendered terms is more outside of the norm than inside of it.
Its only really used for people, and even then its a 50 50 on if we use he/she or they.
In some sentences, using he/she would be just clunky.

But if the game is being translated in to a language that does use gendered terms (which i know that lots do) then the translation should be one that fits the language.

I mean they never said uncomfortable, they said wierd, and some languages are very gendered.

That’s just how some languages are, and if you used that language for like your entire life it can be wierd to adapt.

1 Like

Breaks muh immersion, every time.
Yanks me straight out the story and throws my thoughts and focus on irl politics instead.
Now the story is quite ugh so maybe it’s actually preferable ^^

2 Likes

It doesn’t make me uncomfortable. And I understand that people are using “they” to refer to others they already know.

But I’d like there to be a choice. A lot of other games have a choice. I believe them going with a gender neutral choice is letting them save money on having to voice the same dialogue multiple times.

You mean you want others to subject to your side of that “gender-politics stuff”.

1 Like

What… ?

You’re aware that you’re also using pronouns, right ?

Do you refer to yourself as he/she, or refer to others as he/she ? Congratulations.

You’re subjecting yourself to “Gender-Politics stuff.”

1 Like

Blizzard should just find a solution, where people, who don’t want it, don’t have to deal with it. Like an opt-out feature maybe. If you want it, good for you. I don’t want it personally.

4 Likes

“Blizzard, please keep us safe from all these new and frightening developments outside my basement.”

You people remind me of that “Goodbye Lenin” movie where the protagonist desperately tries to keep his mother from finding out that the berlin wall has fallen after she wakes from a coma.

2 Likes

What’s so wrong with having a choice?

3 Likes

lmao those weirdos already reported your post. Damn this community is infested with them.

7 Likes

gigabased opinion also same

1 Like

They should just change English and replace all placeholders for a name with the individual’s name.

“I was talking to Thrall and Thrall said that Thrall wanted to get some weapons because Thrall’s current weapons are bad.”

Then everyone can find it equally as annoying and no one gets offended.

2 Likes