Official WoW servers for South Africa

Is there any hope for an official servers in South Africa? This is so long overdue i cant believe its not done yet.

The game is available to buy and pay subscription for in Africa so why is there no server support for customers of the region?
15/06/2018 16:19Posted by Esa
The game is available to buy and pay subscription for in Africa so why is there no server support for customers of the region?

To small playerbase for it to be worth the investment, and seeing as that was the case even at the height of popularity, it's a fair bet that you will never see dedicated African servers.
As someone who is playing in Cape Town after moving from Edinburgh, 12 years ago.

I have never had any issues and i really dont see the need for African servers, the lagg to EU servers is minimal and we are part of a far greater community where we are based just now.

If you could give any other reasons as to why you wanted it, it may be easier to understand.
2 Likes
15/06/2018 17:43Posted by Rekthaar
As someone who is playing in Cape Town after moving from Edinburgh, 12 years ago.

I have never had any issues and i really dont see the need for African servers, the lagg to EU servers is minimal and we are part of a far greater community where we are based just now.

If you could give any other reasons as to why you wanted it, it may be easier to understand.

Side note: Wish I still lived in cape town, had to move back to UK when visa ran out.
Why would they ever do that?

A tiny population would have to all be on the same cluster and they'd have tiny populations to do pvp in, raid in and queue for dungeons in.
1 Like
15/06/2018 17:43Posted by Rekthaar

You do not just have to play wow HL or even any competitive games to believe that 250 ping does not change anything so please do not come back on a topic you do not know it rots the forums after
Won't happen - they tried Italian realms some years ago and it didn't work quite well, they are both pretty much dead now.
There are more and more players in South Africa (and there is no South Africa as for me at the island of the meeting it will be beneficial) their old market study does not really fit anymore I think that it is also a problem of server but precisely the servers of amazon and microsift are about to settle in the capital south africa may be wow we will leave nice server by not a few months if the players are talking about them
Same question gets asked every cpl of months, answer will always be No.
15/07/2018 10:34Posted by Vercallus

thank you for your contribution so useful
1 Like
15/07/2018 10:36Posted by Psykè

My pleasure, you asked for an opinion, I gave it, because you don’t disagree with it isn’t my problem.

He is not wrong, though.

While I don't believe WoW is dying, no one can deny that the game is fourteen years old and WAY past its prime. It is no longer Blizzard's golden flagship, Overwatch took that role.

Wow runs as it does now, and there's not going to be massive investments in server infrastructure in new parts of the world at this point. The possibility of recouping the costs of doing so is simply way too low.
15/07/2018 10:38Posted by Calydor

He is not wrong, though.

While I don't believe WoW is dying, no one can deny that the game is fourteen years old and WAY past its prime. It is no longer Blizzard's golden flagship, Overwatch took that role.

Wow runs as it does now, and there's not going to be massive investments in server infrastructure in new parts of the world at this point. The possibility of recouping the costs of doing so is simply way too low.

It does not matter if he is right or not but if nobody moves every month to say that South Africa is there and that we need to serve, if nobody knows anything will happen it is on, and it 'm just because wow lack of player he will want to recover right and left, and I repeat but South Africa is full expantion player and amazon server and microsoft will be close in this year So the waiters will never say it's not only useless but can be fake :) peace
If Russia still does not have a server it's just AWS so amazon do not have a lab server and it's the same for australia you do not understand that blizzard does not build it's own server but rents them so there is no construction or other mix you all, because even if your estimate is good 50000 player (and yet it is very vague because there is not that South Africa is concerned) 50000 player just hiring servers in amazon ca will be incredible for them and hold could fill several server finally anyway we will talk about it in a few months :))))
Various countries in the Middle East regularly ask for one as do Indian players, I don't think any of them will get their own server any time soon. Sadly there just aren't the numbers needed to make it worth the investment.
1 Like
15/07/2018 10:45Posted by Psykè
and I repeat but South Africa is full expantion player and amazon server and microsoft will be close in this year So the waiters will never say it's not only useless but can be fake :) peace

There's a disticnt diufferewnce.

I suspect Amazon and Microsoft will be making Cloud Datacentres.

The opportunity for The Cloud based services is likely a huge opportunity in South Africa, and probably their neighbours. A huge chunk of both companies revenue comes from The cloud now.

As for online game they are latency sensitive operation and the market for Blizzard games isn't that big I would wager a server worth of people just isn't enough.

If South Africa and the surrounding regions were to have an explosion in Numbers for Blizzard games then maybe but I wouldn't count on it.

An interesting side note one of the kickstarter MMOs use cloud computing. Before you say it, Blizzard would need to rewrite everything to enable that.
I played from South Africa for most of my wow life. 200 ping is fine if you arent going for Glad or world firsts.

What on your 9/11 Heroic character is it stopping you from doing?

Also, lets be straight here. SA has 56 million people. Many of them don't even have access to clean water and steady electricity. Many others struggle to put food on the table and are unemployed. Not everyone has a gaming PC or laptop and broadband to play wow.
It really is only the "middle class" that can afford to pay £15 a month at an exchange rate of 17 to 1 (R255) that can afford this luxury called wow.

So in short, first world problems m8, they will never ever put servers in SA. Theres no reason to. Drop it?
1 Like
Do they have internet in South Africa..??
15/07/2018 11:00Posted by Calydor
South Africa has 56 million people. If 0.4% of those will play WoW that's 224,000 players. That's great, right?

Yeah man i bet people will play WOW in a hut in the middle of the savanna with lions outside the window..
15/07/2018 13:44Posted by Raiden
15/07/2018 11:00Posted by Calydor
South Africa has 56 million people. If 0.4% of those will play WoW that's 224,000 players. That's great, right?

Yeah man i bet people will play WOW in a hut in the middle of the savanna with lions outside the window..

Please stop, ignorance isn't something you should advertise.
1 Like