Old Character models (optional) as legion

Hi all,

this topic has been brought up quite some times

But I am asking for the option to be re-applied as back in WOD/Legion

as I’ve been reading the .bone files or somthing doesnt work well with the new armor + new abilities added into the game
BUT I remember in legion old models simply had the skeleton of the new ones & textures of the old ones which for me was almost as good, somthing I can still work with this day.

So I ask very kindly if these can be re-added into the game for pure love for the original race designs
imo wow should continue its growth in animations & HD graphics but at the same time I think somthing for the old school fans could be pleasing in so many ways just by adding this simple option with a check mark

Thanks alot for reading this & thx in advance for ur respond

to help Blizzard to be able to read this topics many suggestion & ideas I know inform here:

EDIT# 08/02-2021

Suggestion: Enable the option; disable all the new race skins/faces etc; when enabling this setting in Advanced Options.
Suggestion: New or Old skeletons - Both r voted for - Most likely to happen, is old texture with new skeleton
Most wanted: Old Spell animations.

Comments: Frizzle: I’m not against toggleable options that doesn’t affect me.
You have my blessing. Very nice feedback, large opinion is appriciated.
Comments: "Blizzard could do some updates to the “new” (7 year old already) models using some of the design from the old ones as basis. I mean, they have been recently working on the new models to do the customization, it would be a convenient time to look at them. Comment by Landrlen, very constructive & innovative idea of how it could be done, very appriciated.

Comments like: Clpusan “I would love to see the old character models and the old race animations for melee attacks and spell casts… even sounds.”

Problems we are aware of:

1. DHs ruined Night elf & Blood elf SD model therefore this whole process started.
  2. We know that some races r still working with old skeleton even.
  3. we do NOT ask about having the old skeleton, even tho that is the most favored.
  4. We know that the game is working towards better animations & stronger graphics, but we r large & ask for the skeleton for a start & pray for the old skeleton.
  5. New textures on Old Animations
    This will be updated as the thread goes on. Please feel free to read comments aswell, I try to be as active as I can.

Thx for reading along, this will be updated as the thread goes on.

15 Likes

I support this wholeheartedly. My characters are no longer my characters. My Gnome now has to transmog on a face mask or big goggles to hide her monstrous mutant eyes. Actually, as I remarked before, it’s appalling how many Gnome avatars disappeared from the forums - who would want to look like a crazed, drunken Wildstar escapee?

9 Likes

bump pls :slight_smile:

Interesting ,personally i prefer old posture and animations but new geometry and textures.

4 Likes

we can kinda agree here, I still wouldnt mind the texture option on old skeleton

preferably it would be best scenario if old skeleton & Textures could come back all together but as Blizzard previously stated that the old “skeleton” doesnt fit with alot of the new animations. So in order for it to be 50/50 situation im fine with textures for a start

• But back when they announced the new models I never thought they would touch of the skeleton part of the models

I presume there must be some reason for it but I have no idea what it would be. Doesn’t work with new animations maybe?

I tested by editing model in WOW MODEL VIEWER & most animations r fine tbh

started with the fact that Demon Hunter Animations were not suitable for the old characters (talking blood elf & night elf) but night elf works fine with the new animations, but the blood elf has some issue,

which is why I suggest it being possible to revert the textures & not the skeleton for a start, and then just pray that blizzard will make the chance with the come back for the skeleton aswell

Nah that aint it, you can still get old models from Transmorphic Beacon and Mote of Light, the animations will just revert back to their old self.

Just current devs trying to undo past devs work because of their ego’s.

10 Likes

some clown cs person said it cannot be done because new models require more “bones” for animations or something

2 Likes

@ [Blayser-argent-dawn]
That could be true but I do not wish to get on the nerves of the Designers
I think they do a great job. I personally deal with this issue because I have played since vanilla & I find the new models cool but not a part of my characters
even helms like my avatar is wearing looks funny with new models

full bloodfang on old models looks better especially on surden races
Undead, Blood Elf, Night elf & Human prolly more

I find it sad that they were removed out of the game completly as they were great art work - the fact that I know how to edit the files & check the animations + more allows me to partly beleive in ur idea here.

That is not due of designer team decision but grapich team decision.

1 Like

They are in denial and living off the remains of the old devs work, Bobby knows this and is why he’s milking the company for every last scrap and the current devs will soon be out of a job unless they do a 180.

The truth hurts.

nice conspiracy theory…
They replaced old, objectively ugly models with newer updated models that more closely represent the original artistic vision of the race, along with allowing them to more easily add more customization options to them. Ya know, customization, that thing that was the MOST hyped part of the Shadowlands reveal.

If you want ugly characters, WoW Classic is there waiting for you.

2 Likes

well no need to spell it out like that mate;
this is a simple request - of somthing that already has existed that is simply requested back, let ppl have their opinions & leave this hate out please.

do not tell ppl what to do, we all enjoy the game; shadowlands but this is a minor thing that I personally know wont take much to reimplant

if u decide to read what has been discused to far

4 Likes

Yeah, slap the pandaren running animation on every race and call it a job well done.

2 Likes

It’s true that some of the new armor models after Legion cannot be displayed on old models, yet those items just had those features disabled when old model was enabled.

Idk. The classic face looks like it’s made out of paper mache

1 Like

again which is why we r not asking for a replacement but simply a function that already existed a way to enable & disable while in-game.

1 Like

I miss my holydin dwarf female’s braids twirling in the air when she was casting and the amusing bouncing chest even though she wears plate. I’d like an option to have the old model on her. Most of my other characters would stay with the new model though.

omni spell cast at 1min 50ish

2 Likes

Not saying the old textures were superior but the new bouncy model animations are indeed inferior to the old animations.

How humans shake their hands after a spell cast is jusy unnecessary, the pandaren bouncing during running or the walking animation where your arms just appear boneless.

The only models I can think of that actually had their animations improved are belf and night elf female.

1 Like