Old Essence grind in 8.3 for new/returning players

There’s no logical reason why though unless you think gear should be account wide also. Essences are just the way of “gearing up” your neck slot. Rather than loot the item itself, you have to “loot” essences. So if you think the idea of being able to have account wide gear is silly, it follows for the neck. It takes you weeks to gear a character from say 380 ilevel to 440. Why should it not be the case for gaining similar ilevel worth of power for the neck? (heck essences are worth even more ilevel than that).

Because people find the grind objectionable and boring? What happens if people find the process of grinding other gear boring? Surely we’d just tell them “suck it up” - same argument applies

3 Likes

I agree. There’s no logic to it and it certainly has it’s drawbacks. I just find the grinding of most essences incredibly boring and uninspiring whereas getting gear is at least a little entertaining :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It doesn’t ruin your character at all. And essences are not gear so the comparison is simply wrong. Maybe it is you who plays the wrong type of game.

1 Like

They are making more essences cheaper.

The EP essences might be tricky. Especially for DPS since condenced is fairly unmatched.

To be honest I support that essences should be at the very least server-bound.

I feel like the best idea would be to implement new ways of getting old essences.
Like make it purchasable by titan residuum or a new currency obtainable from Nyalotha (did I spell that correctly? :smiley: ).

If you want to do high-end content, I feel like working towards it is not a bad thing, but you should be able to work towards it by progressing on it - if that makes sense.

4 Likes

My hpala with 7/8 normal has only 5 of those thingies, and my char that has a heroic clear has only rank 1. Not sure what is needed to get the essence on a decent rank. I ignore the existence of it.

Overall the rank 3’s take a bit too long to get. I for example use vision as minor on my ww monk (where I do ~+14 dungeons with), and I can not get the energy to run mecha for 4 weeks. I already have it on my hpala.

Currently in my guild there are not that many returning players for 8.3, although they are in the chat (discord), and one of the biggest reasons is a month investment to get essences ‘till you can play the interesting content’. (yes that is a quote of a player who want to return bit is not)

That is problem you ignore you do not get rewards from it!

It is like me wanting pvp mount yet ignoring doing pvp!

1 mechagon run for you will take less than 1 hour /mostly get id on some alt char and make group jsut for King Mechagon 5 min weekly!

Raid essences drops in higher you do stuff in month at max by clearing heroic you would have rank 3 long time before it.

Why people expect getting something when they ignore it ?

I have 0 interst in doing pvp !
I ignore it!
Give me mount REEEE!

I am not expecting to get it. And I am not going to pug mecha :smiley:

That is attitude and you are pessimist !

I am actually an optimist. I check what I can get and go for that and be happy. And then I ignore all the other stuff. It just does not exist for me. I even got lucid dreams rank 4, because I can.

Makes sense!

I miss 1 rare for mount >_>!
People should take example from you DO WHAT you want GET reward from it yet not expecting reward from ignoring something!

Aaaah, I got the nazja mount ~2 weeks ago :slight_smile: Some rares are indeed… rare. My last was packfather. I have killed packmother so many times till it finally spawned :sweat_smile:

It’s mostly the rep ones. Not because of rep itself. But the main mechanism for it is dry, and it requires too much rep so its offensively repetitive.

The relax next patch (revered requirement, reduced cost on mecha essences) is a step in the right direction. I have my primary chars (4) all at least revered with naz and mecha, 2 of them are exalted with both. Making it reverted is okay as its much more achievable. Knowing the reduction is Inc I’ve parked the two lats at revered at that, and left it, and it will be enough to buy r3 next patch. This allows me time to start on a fitth character knowing I have half the grind ahead.

Tbh spare crates pee me off more than anything else. 40 crates is obscene and requires you to mindlessly grind mobs to make up the shortfall. I have purposefully held off purchasing rank 3 mecha essences until the patch to save my crates. My chars should have 20 by the time 8.3 hits, but 40?nope.abd I’m not inclined to spend hours zerging mobs to do it. Grinding mobs monotonously for occasional drops is the one thing i find more boring than world quests.

I think it’s good to research the upcoming essences as well to see whether you may use them. I am not going to bother with the mecha essence on my priest before 8.3 as I probably won’t use it honestly. Saves me a job!

All essences should be account-wide - it is that simple. Such a simple change would increase overall player activity. To grind gear is actually quite entertaining, the Azerite Power is no problem at all … the essences are killing us.

If the essences become account-wide I would actually be interested farming rank 4.

2 Likes

Maybe, but A simple solution would also be to let essences be unlocked account wide.

I just returned to the game and i’m a multiclasser, I can sadly say that it wont be the case until Shadowlands. Why ? Not because its impossible to farm all I need on all my chars, but because it’s mindless PvE grind when years ago I could just go in PVP and farm gear in bgs and arena.

3 Likes

Gear hunting might be interesting…for PvE players. PvP players like me are forced into this bullsh"t

2 Likes

I agree that Essences should be account wide ofc, but that doesnt change anything for new or returning players, they’d still have to invest weeks to months to unlock their best essences.

2 Likes

Or blizzard really effd up character progression in this game and people don’t like it anymore, even if it is character progression it’s one people very much don’t like. also stop with the hyperbole, it’s your only counter argument every time, no one wants anything else beside essences account wide, people were fine with alts before 8.2.5, they just want things to go back to how they were in 8.2.

this is a copy paste of what i said in another thread essences when they asked how they differed from gear, since you compare them every time i’m gonna leave this here so maybe you can change your mind.

There are a lot of differences between gear and essences, even tho they both give you power.

First of all the stacking of systems (which is not really a difference i guess but is a good argument to discuss):
As even Ion said in the interview at blizzcon, they are not happy with the stacking and addition of systems during an expansion and for a good reason. There is a big difference between farm your hearth, your gear and farm your hearth, your gear, you essences. People were fine with alts before 8.2.5, come this patch slowly but surely all kinds of threads in every forum/site pop up about how people don’t like to farm essences a second time, some won’t even do it once.

Second of all the way you have to acquire them:
gear and essences both come from different sources, but the limitations are different. While you can get some gear with reps, raids and dungeons, the best gear is Always from the content tat needs gear to be cleared, the same can’tbe said about essences. The BiS essences for healers come from dailies, the best version you can get from those essences still come from dailies even if they are not designed to help you with dailies.

Third of all the very reason they were created:
They gave us essences because a lot of people felt their class was incomplete or lucklaster, the solution blizzard came up with is essences. This alone the reason they not only are a bad system right now, but will stay a bad system even when they do make them account wide. THey should be unlocked while you level your character through bfa and not be time gated in any way, while they are tied to the neck and people might say they are just a fanc trinket, we have to make a line somewhere where we separate active trinkets and abilities. With how impactful and how much work went into animations and such i think it’s disingenuous to say they are gear. Problem is they currently work like gear instead of abilities, think for a second how awful it would be if army of the dead required dailies to unlock and to power up instead of how it works right now.

Last but not least the general perception of the essences:
while it is true that rank three of all your BiS essences are not “required” for a +10 or an heroic raid a lot of people don’t feel good about unlocking them at rank 2 or 1 only, because they are not perceived as gear but as abilities.

For me personally i won’t invest time in a character that i will leave as incomplete, I’m not gonna start something i am sure i will not progress. I know i could kind of easily unlock the base essences in my alts and do heroic raids and +10, I know i could be carried for the first bosses in mythic by guild too, but i know that even if I end up liking the other class more then my main i would still not be willing to farm the essences to make ot competitive in the content i like, so it instantly kills all of my motivation. I’m sure i forgot something but I am writing this while i eat so I’ll write again if it comes to mind.

But you can’t compare something that’s been in the game from the start to something that is in the game by one patch, they are not the same not even close.