Old version of wow is better still than current one

If they introduce dungeon finder in woltk classic I will hardly log in to retail.

Blizzard got weird fetish - they like yo watch player suffer.
Even in their live server very few people leveling - its so hard to find dungeon group.

Even regular gearing dungeon hard to make.

Only raiders log in there most of time.

3 Likes

I play both versions and enjoy both versions. One is driven by Discovery, other is driven by Nostalgia. But I guess this does not fit your agenda? At the end of they day - they are both very similar, the only difference is the sealing of difficulty. Wrath sealing is much much lower than retail. So if you want a more chill evening - you go to raid in Ulduar, if you want a bit harder content - you go m+ in retail. Perfect balance.

It’s the same reason why from time to time I turn some old games of my childhood, simply because of Nostalgia for them (I find them as a very good games, for ME, but for someone else they would be borring) - game like Heroes3, Civ3, C&C red alert2, Cossacks, Stronghold, CS 1.6, return to castle wolfenstein, old NFS games, or even older games like Caesar3, Starsiege. I even have sega mega drive emulator in my PC, if I really want to play games from times when I was 7.

Nostalgia is a strong driver, don’t underestimate it.

Different people like different things. I find Classic awful. I prefer Retail. Every Classic reboot I go and play, get my Nostalgia fix and within a Month I’m back on Retail. Even with Wrath of the Lich King which I adored at the time, it was not the same going back.

Other people love Classic and they are having a great time playing that. Some like both and flit between the two.

1 Like

I have all versions of a game called Heroes of Might and Magic. Three is a much improved version of 2, yet I find myself returning to play 2 from time to time.

It is not because 2 ias better than 3, but because 2 has aspects of the game that I like more than in 3 (in this case it is the visual style).

Classic wow is a game about leveling and social interractions, while retail these days is primarily about instanced content. It catters for different audiences.

Sometimes I’d like to get into classic because the leveling experience is much better, and atmospheric. It does sound like a real adventure. I do not delve into it however because it is more time consuming than retail, and I prefer instanced content, on top of the game having some difficulty over spamming frostbolt.

If the old version were good, they wouldn’t keep having to add new expansions for it to stay alive.
It’s this simple.

Its trully not about nostalgya. I didnt even played classic back in the days. Its just about old game felt more flavorfull. It got a sense of adventure and danger. Its not so convenient as the actual one.

If it was nostalgia, people will not still return to classic even today. As i said, go inform yourself. There is a big pack of players coming back to classic era. While DF still losing subscribtions. Especially with the new patch. BG queues takes forever. Even wotlk ones are way faster.

3 Likes

It isn’t better. It was great at the time for what it was and I only enjoyed classic for the nostalgia but we have come so far now and have so many quality of life changes that we can’t just flip a switch and go back. You wanna play classic you go play classic, lots of people are perfectly happy with retail.

1 Like

Nop. I dont want to play classic. I want to play a current version of wow that is as good as classic was in 2004. As i said, i dont like the fact that i’m forced to play a 20 years old version of the game just because the actual one is not great.

I repeat, people are still chosing classic over DF and that’s a shame. DF is losing players atm while classic is still getting players. That should never happen if the current state of wow was good. Players/big streamers actually leaving current wow even for private servers with classic+ . That again, should never happen. A team of like 10 people those private servers got, somehow manage to do a better game than a massive company like blizzard? That’s not right.

There’s a reason people are asking for classic+. They lost faith in the current version direction.

1 Like

Fair enough for you. But that doesnt make retail bad lol.

Your opinon isnt the definitive answer.

WoW retail is different. But that doesnt mean bad lol, it never will. I play both. Because why not. They are both great in their own way

1 Like

Good points. A lot of people like me who returned to WoW after taking a long break between wotlk/cata and now were shocked by the state of the game.

I liked the old WoW not because it was better but because it was an rpg with a specific atmosphere.

You got to scarlet monastery after a quest chain, ppl around you have gear from that dungeon. You loot a sword you carry that sword. It had depth and immersion, it was a world.

Yday a death knight joined me while levelling my warrior in retail with an enchanted shovel on his back. I don’t know what level he is, whether he’s well geared or not, I can’t tell a single thing about the character unles i inspect the numbers. There’s no fantasy world it’s a dress up game with limitless options and yet all I hear is we need more transmigs…

Characters are like empt husks, substance deprived caricatures of rpg. Why do you need to look like something your not? How can you relate your random ansamble of colourful fairy wings with a demon hunter?

I like DF but only because it lost the chore effect from shadowland. Story, immersion, horrendous dungeon difficulty and no incentive to do mythic raids are still a huge problem.

3 Likes

It’s not that simple. There’s always weirdos out there who think old stuff is better.

There’s people who refuse to buy a smartphone and only have a landline phone in their house.
There’s people who still buy music on vinyl records instead of just streaming them digitally.
There’s people who insist on driving an old car that requires much more maintenance and slurps gas like a looney while they could just drive a new car without those downsides.

Etc. Etc.
It’s not that simple.

Vanilla doesn’t exist anymore.
There’s classic; the vanilla wanna-be simulation.

3 Likes

gamespot. com/forums/pc-mac-linux-society-1000004/who-here-thinks-burning-crusade-killed-wow-25902237/

There were always people preaching that an earlier version was better.

not think - sometimes it just is better =)

Well that game doesn’t exist any more so you’ll just have to find something else. Many of us like WoW as it is and feel it is going in the right direction.

Well, that’s subjective. But… Care to share some examples?

Dunno whats so good about modern classic. Classic had a bad questdesign, mostly bad dungeon design, raids are easy af. Classic was time consuming, nothing more.

Modern Raremobs can do more harm than any Classic raid boss.
But hey, If you like Classic so much you are free to go, no need for a forum thread

For me classic.
Even soon 20 years later there is no game even close to the journey from 1 to 60 on a fresh vanilla server.

retail is great for dungeon and raids but outside? the whole mmorpg aspect and open world are just irrelevant. you just zoom through with 800% speed and aoe whole zones. :person_shrugging: no adventure

4 Likes

Fair enough. I strongly disagree with your opinion.
And I enjoyed vanilla almost 19 years ago. But now in this day and age it’s just not a compelling game for me anymore.

I disagree. In fact I think that the open world is way more irrelevant in Classic. That game is true raid-or-die. Retail offers much more variety and much more choice in how you want to play the game.

That’s completely up to the players themselves. I don’t engage with the world in that way.

Contrary to what you might believe, “go back to the origin” is not meaningful feedback. We’re not mind readers, we have no idea what you mean by this.

we all sit in the city and wait for the 30min que timer to play a 10minute instanced game and then we go back to the city and wait again

• open world everything is easy and you are never in danger you can fly past everything and ignore all art and design

• this isnt an MMORPG anymore

2 Likes