[OPTIONAL] New Models Toggle in Classic

I am pretty sure this must have been mentioned before. Bug please oh please add an optional toggle for modern day character models in Classic? I’m sure there are many who don’t care about this and I completely understand. But in the spirit of not disrupting anyone’s game while also allowing some to enjoy it more, can this please be a thing?

In our day and age of remasters there are many who want old EXPERIENCE with a fresh coat of paint. I mean, that’s why D2 Resurrected is being made. Same mechanics, modern visuals. This is what I would really like to see [important] -> AS AN OPTION <-[important] in Classic.

8 Likes

Just been working on unity game engine on a project today - I can tell you this much:

what you ask for takes so much effort that it is almost like making the game all over again from stratch. They need to change all gliders, all assets, recode the entire thing over.

I don’t see any reason for them to commit to such a huge project that would take months at the very least will the entire team working - there is no demand and no monetary incentives.

1 Like

As far as I remember, back when the new models were just implemented on retail, for a while one could actually toggle between old and new models. So they must have a framework for that already.

At any rate, I just came here to express something I greatly desire to see in the game.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s fine but I’m just saying that Blizzard will hardly put this much effort into something that doesn’t make any money for them.

There are also some technical issues about physics of the game, melee leeway, hitboxes etc are all a bit different afaik between retail and classic models. Don’t know which engine/language they used to remake classic wow though.

It also caused lots of glitches, which is why it was removed. Trying to fix the errors to make it work just wasn’t worth Blizzard’s time.

It was in CPP I believe, no idea about the engine though.

Im pretty sure theres an addon that allows you to change how you look, like race and gear. Its only your character and obviously something only you see.

Something you could try out first atleast and see if thats enough, considering that this request would most likely be implemented at the earliest at Wotlk classic release

Addon like that does not exist, unfortunately.

So do you think it’s possible Blizz will ever add this option?

NO NO NO!

10chars

Why does this work on private servers then? If they can do it, surely Blizzard can.

1 Like

@Level, what’s wrong with having this as an option? Players who don’t want it would never see or experience any change. And those that do could toggle it on and have a more enjoyable experience. A win-win.

it’s funny to me how the new models and animations are worse than the old one in literally every single aspect and people still want them

4 Likes

That “addon” is against the rules, and Blizzard will ban you if they find you messing with the game files. You probably won’t get banned, but then again you might.

1 Like

Ok, i wasnt aware. Thanks for clarifying.

There was a video back before Classic was launched that explained the vast amount of time spent getting the models to look how they are supposed to and making sure they don’t look out of place etc etc and it was explained then how much work actually goes into what OP is asking.

I really think OP doesn’t realise the actual scale of what they are asking for.

1 Like

Surprised no one has said this is why people don’t like others suggesting changes, because it just leads to more suggestions for changes, culminating in the game being a watered down retail game, irregardless of whether the changes make the company money or not. Character models, the old ones that is, will be part of the category that a lot of people target as being heavily nostalgic, I would think, and wouldn’t want it changed.

1 Like

Not saying it’d be easy. Just saying I want it to happen.

Also, how come some changes to vanilla are good and some aren’t? We already have new water, character shadows, sun rays and some particle effects that weren’t in vanilla. Don’t see anyone complaining about those. So how come are the OPTIONAL new models such a sore topic for many?

Not sure if everyone here understands that the premise was to change how they look for “your eyes only”.

But then again im in the boat of “absolutelly no changes what so ever, unless they have extremelly good reasons”.

1 Like

Because soon we would have no choice. New models force fed to everyone because the toggle create endless bugs. Just like first time around.

If you had seen no complaints about new water etc. you have not read all my posts. I have complained over virtually any changes I have ever found in Classic as compared to Vanilla.