Orcs vs Humans

Different Warchiefs makes different Hordes in the grasp of the respective warchiefs - which is why the Horde never could get rid of Garrosh/Sylvanas without help from the Alliance. Horde should never had been okay with said warchiefs to begin with, but the bad two-faction conflict gameplay had to be bruteforced into the story anyway.

How is territorial destruction, loss of resources, and loss of lives strengthening the factions?

Peace and full integration of Orcs into the Alliance would have meant less Scourge material for the Lich King, no Garrosh Hellscream ducking around with Old God hearths and Iron Horde, and an even stronger unified opposition against the Legion.

So, everyone is asking for war, because they think their side is going to win ?

There’s 2 factions, only one can win.
Winner takes everything, loser marches out of the game, just like in Warcraft 1 and 2.

Are the 2 player bases ready to accept that ?
I don’t think so.

That’s why conflict is difficult to write in the MMO. Unlike the RTS. Because Alliance win doesn’t negate Horde win. They happen in 2 separate scenarios in a single player scenario that doesn’t affect anyone.

For example:
You win your Alliance campaign in the RTS.
Does that affect my Horde campaign ?
Of course not because RTS campaigns, are solo play.

Now in the MMO, each time something is destroyed, the player base depending on that area is affected. Like Undercity and Teldrassil.

Cheers.

2 Likes

I’ve always liked the faction divide, and it has a very prominent subculture among fans.

But with that said, thanks to the consistently questionable story writing over the years, it’s become harder and harder to justify it being there.

2 Likes

Or they just clash each other for eternity… Which is also something people ask for here with this thread.

To me that sounds like an “evolving game world” which is imo something good.

I hate Online games that claim to have an “ever-evolving world” and then it just is world content that constantly gets retired for new world content that doesn’t change the old areas of the world at all.

World of Warcraft is literally the only game I know with Open World as online game that actually evolves.

You already have that with BGs.

Only if both player bases are ready to accept that.
While Horde players may have seen Undercity as a necessary loss.
I don’t see anyone happy on the Alliance side.

If that type of narrative isn’t acceptable for the majority of the player base (more than half at least) than there’s a problem and no company likes dissatisfied customers.

Cheers.

Game =/= Story

Don’t be so foolish. This game may be played by players but it’s still Blizzards property and they will do with it anyways what they want, no matter if players like it or not. They will only back down from their own experiments if the numbers gradually drop and I doubt really, really, really! doubt that Players will quit World of Warcraft and a running expansion because of losing 1 social hub (a city like Teldrassil) en masse.

People don’t quit because of trivial things. They quit because of changes that make the game outright unfun. Which losing a social hub for another is not really such a big cut.

I do get it tho on players being angry about forced Faction transfers due to story reasons. Because this does affect players on a daily basis. Social Hubs don’t.

There was enough backlash during BFA.
In fact this is the second expansion where faction conflict isn’t present.

Also while Blizzard may do a remarkable job destroying things, they aren’t so good at rebuilding it.

When will Gnomeran and Gilneas become available ?
Theramore is forever a crater on the ground.

Not everyone thinks the same way.
Some people are very passionate about their lore. I was in the story forums for months.

While the majority of player base cares about game play experience, there’s people who are very passionate about lore.

Now let’s look at how the conflict has been written: it doesn’t matter who started it. The Horde are the bad guys.
Any questions look at the 2 Warchiefs who went to war with the Alliance: Garrosh and Sylvanas. All ended up as Raid bosses alongside the characters that worked with them. General Nazgrim and Nathanos Blightcaller.

How will the next one be like ?
Probably another Alliance and Horde hub destroyed.

Another atrocity act. We had mana bomb and burning civilians so far. I’m not curious to see what will be next tbh.

How the last Raids will be ?
Probably the Horde character that was the leader during the conflict. Even if it’s a council nothing prevents from a temporary leader to be elected.

The Romans did it when Hannibal was invading with his Carthaginian army.

Cheers.

And I am counting myself as part of that lore passionate people. And I also know we are the minority here.

The minority has always to deal with the majorities catering. Always was and always will be the case.

Yep, they easily could have peeked at how real life nations test eachothers borders or undermine eachothe. And start some conflicts using that. But blizz only knew how to start a faction war in wow with massive genocide. like teldrassil and theramore. No border skirmishes, sabotage and what not. Just straight up mass murder with little reason

1 Like

The majority values game play.
Raids, Mithic dungeons and PVP don’t need to be tied to faction war narratives.

Also faction war narratives are great to have everyone bickering on the forum.
However I spent the vast majority of time during BFA arguing with other players in the forum, than playing the game.

Is that what Blizzard wants ?
I don’t think so. Because by the end of BFA, they were sending e-mails to everyone urging them to go claim their in game rewards.

Cheers.

Maybe you just follow wrong priorities? Idk, I am not you.

That’s something all game devs do.

I also get such messages for Sea of Thieves, Destiny 2, Overwatch 2 (despite not playing it anymore) and every other live service game.

I wasn’t the only one.
There were players that were constantly on the story forum. In fact I knew them better, than the people I used to play in the same guild, because they were constantly posting.

Out of curiosity: did you receive a similar e-mail in any other expansions ?
If so, which ones ?

Cheers.

WoW:

• Battle for Azeroth
  • Shadowlands
  • Dragonflight

Destiny 2:

• Vanilla + Season DLCs
  • Forsaken + Annual Pass
  • Shadowkeep + Seasons
  • Beyond Light + Seasons
  • Witch Queen + Seasons
  • Every single Event going live in Destiny 2 too

Such mails are called “game newsletter” and/or “advertisement mails”. My mail room is constantly filling with them every week, because I am so lazy and didn’t disable settings on every game company websites to not get them anymore.

In case of Blizzard and Destiny 2 I even have them active on purpose for neat info stuff like this:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/943233135099920394/1072670772100866148/image.png

This mail is about the new subclass (element) coming to Destiny 2 with Lightfall next month. In addition it also shows the stats of what subclass/element I used the most during either the last year or lifetime.

i think this has beeen going on for a few expansions. Sometimes i encounter such mails in my spam box

the horde and the alliance conflict is dead and its been dead for a loooooooong time everytime they try to put in the for front it becomes a freaking horse crap show some of the crappiest expansions in wow focused on this so called “core” of wow

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSYG7bjitn4

Accurate summary of the Horde/Alliance relationship.

It is not brute forced into the story. But that Peace does not last. It is often always a temporary respite until the next conflict and war.
One of the Trailers literally says: “The tenuous pact between the Horde and the Alliance has already evaporated”

The Kumbaya hand-holders try to force the rest of the players into a peace. But there have always been rivalries.

Simple. Forges both sides into global superpowers that were strong enough to stop the Burning Legion a force that have destroyed countless planets.
If Gnomes were to spend their days making flower crowns for Tauren then there would not have been anyone strong enough to face the Burning Legion.

The humans already tried taking care of Orcs after the defeat of the first Horde. It ended up badly for the people that protected - clothed and fed them. They then went to Kalimdor and formed the Horde. Have to learn from past mistakes.

Iron Horde unifying with the Horde would have been bad for Azeroth. They kill planet after planet.

Like the united people of Azeroth would be oblivious to the looming threat against them? Like none have ever heard about the Old Gods and their lackeys, the Burning Legion, and the Scourge?

1 Like

To spell it out for you.
Alliance and Horde have become stronger because of conflicts with each other not in-spite of conflicts. Militarily - Technologically - Magically.

Yet again you implies there would be no combat experience from fighting the intern- as well as otherworldly threat and conflicts on Azeroth. Gnolls, Kobolds, Quillboars, Troggs, Centaurs, and lackeys of the bigger threats.

1 Like