Pc freezing when i run wow

I figured out my issue was issue was GPU overheating by monitoring the usage, I’d recommend to fire up wow and open task manager to see if it spikes up a lot.

Same here i was just doing a m+ 8-9 soa i think when it all happend and we could had timed it with a ++. But no fate wanted to give me the middle finger that day

I did try that and it was around 73-75 c , i know that the temprature is good if it doesnt surpass 80?

Have you tried a Scan and Repair from the battlenet launcher ?

Have you tried a fresh install of WoW with no addons ?

Are you using a Hard Drive or a Solid State Drive and how old is it ?

Yes
i would if i knew how to do it without losing (settings and addon settings)too much time to sit and redo everything thats the only reason i am not doing it
Both but the game is installed on the hard drive

All you need to do is create a new folder on your desktop, then go to your local disc c >> program files (x86) >> world of warcraft >> retail >> then copy your “Interface” folder and “WTF” folder, into the newly created folder on your desktop.

Then once you do a fresh install of WoW, go back in local disc and WoW again, delete the new interface and wtf folders and copy in your old ones from the folder on your desktop.

I would re-install onto your SSD if you can, it will make a world of difference just in general.

Did you try scanning the drive Warcraft is on for errors?

Unless it’s the addons causing the problem. So make sure they are all up to date.

Ok i will try this, what about the addons though?, i cant do it on the ssd though cause i dont have enough memory on it, i only got like 60 gb left on it

And yes the addons are all uptodate i actually check them everyday , dont know how to tag Dottie to see this though :frowning:

Interface and WTF folders contain every addon and setting you currently have.

You only need to move or copy the two folders, not all of them. Should be 30mb at most.

When I installed on my SSD I had to restart the machine a few times as it gave the wrong spare space. Don’t forget uninstalling first releases all the drive space WoW currently uses.

They mean for the fresh install

Too high for my liking.

I like mine below 70 and preferably in the mid 50’s no matter the noise. I can replace a fan. A GPU replacment costs more.

lets just hope its a wow issue, atm i am currently reinstalling and gonna check and see.

What would the ideal test here be? like run the game keep it open for a few mins close it and repeat? cause i mean if i open it and its fine it doesnt mean its fixed

A very likely reason is that your CPU or GPU are getting overheated. Freezing is a mechanism where the CPU halts to protect itself from getting permanent damage due to overheat.

The reason it doesn’t happen with other activities might be that watching videos, browsing, other games, etc don’t require high CPU/GPU load like wow and therefore don’t cause the CPU/GPU to overheat.

Try to clean your PC. Dust can prevent cooling fans from working at higher speeds and can prevent heat sinks from releasing heat efficiently.
Try to install software that monitors your CPU and GPU heat and see if your temperatures gets very high while playing wow just before the freeze.

74c is pretty high. Many BIOSes are set to freeze the PC at 80 degrees (cuz that’s when parts start getting damaged) and if you hit 80 for just a second, it might cause your PC to freeze.

Ideally you should aim for <65 degrees while playing WoW. Best solution I can offer is just pop the PC open and clean it. Get some compressed air and start spraying. Check which part is running hottest and it’s probably that part’s fan that’s causing your PC to freeze.

1 Like

But why now out of the blue? i have been doing the same thing for so long and it never happened.

2 years ago i had to replace my thermal paste because of overheating but there i was reaching like 90 c

You need better GPU cooling buy more fans it’s really bad for your GPU to go this high i had literally the same issue as you before.

I fixed it by purchasing a new pc fan and now my temp does not go over 40C.

Pcs are designed to freeze on you when you reach over 70c to prevent dmg to your PC.

have the same problem my game and pc freezes after a loading screen only in wow. Now i always delete the wow cache. Never had freezes after that but you always need to remove the cache before launch the game. Maybe it is something different:/

My laptops’s CPU is constantly 90+ celsius while playing :partying_face:

Bought this for shadowlands release, not expecting it to age well :smiley:

Ok so i have done the fresh install and copied the folder like you told me, it froze the first time in the loading screen ( didnt happen before always froze ingame).
Now the second time its running fine. So i guess the reinstall didnt fix the issue :frowning:

Any other suggestions?