Pc freezing when i run wow

It’s not out of the blue. Dust accumulate in your PC overtime. It needs cleaning from time to time.

My Pc is freezing too. This hasn’t happened in a long time, and it concerns me.

What do you mean by… “its running fine” then “guess it didn’t work”

Those two statements completely contradict each other :stuck_out_tongue:

Honestly, if that didn’t work it’s your laptop itself then.
I would advise you to clean your machine thouroghly and re-apply thermal paste to your CPU and GPU chips. I know it keeps being repeated to you, but just get it out of the way first then you can check thermals/bad temps off your list at least and move forward.
While your cleaning, re-seat everything and check that your parts aren’t damaged in anyway, make sure there’s no loose connections anywhere that has them and give it a good look over.
Before you do anything like that though, make sure your laptop is OFF and all power cables are detached etc, and be gentle lol.

One last thing to try before the clean, I read an obscure forum post not long ago, someone was having the same problems, and they found that it was an Addon called “Exorus raid tools” , uninstalling that fixed their problem. If you use Exorus, delete it and see.

what i wanted to say was that it still froze but the second time that i tried logging in let me play just fine, so i just cleaned my computer (not using a laptop :stuck_out_tongue: ) with the air duster and i will try and revert the gpu driver first, if this doesnt work either i guess its the thermal paste cause i guess thats the last thing remaining

Had the same issue a few weeks back turned out to be my PSU witch lead me on to a number of other issues, sort the PSU before you while your system is still working.

Power supply is fine

So i just reverted my graphics card to the previous version and i run the game 5 times and it hasnt froze, i think it was the new gpu driver i installed last weekend.
Lets not jinx it but its looking kinda positive right now

3 Likes

Ah see, told ya. I never update the most recently released driver, there’s usually issues with it.

3 Likes

Well it happened again , that wasnt it apparently.

Oh dear :frowning:
What else did you update?

some windows updates its been a few months since i have done those so i did those anyhow just in case

I also took my gpu and replaced the thermal paste on the inside which was a mess hoping that would fix it, i open up wow and froze again :confused:

Is there anything left to do?

I’m sorry, I can only think of writing a ticket at this point or checking for viruses. I hope someone else has some more ideas for you.

I just made one but seriously i dont know what else to do, i did check for viruses and nothing either, but the only thing i want to know why is it only with wow and not any other game its not like wow is so graphically superior, i mean i even played the outriders demo last week and i had no issues.

What GPU do you have again?

If it’s Nvidia disable the audio drivers for it, that’s a known issue.

It is an nvidia, how do i do that?

Go into Device Manager. Go to “Sound, video and game controllers”. Right-click on “NVIDIA High Def Audio” and click disable. It’s better to disable rather than uninstall in my experience, because win 10 thinks you need to update or get the driver. Disabling takes care of it ever working.

Did you recently update the nvidia graphics drivers? From what I heard there was something faulty with the latest driver update and many people experienced issues with it, did you try reverting the update to the previous one? try to uninstall the gpu driver and installing the one before.

The issue players have had with recent Nvidia graphic drivers is the black screen “flicker’s” and Its not the previous driver that’s the “fix”, many have had the fix from going back to 456.5 / 457.5 . personally I’m using 456.5 but like I said that’s for the graphic glitch issues, game still works fine, game or PC freeze is something a bit more than that, freeze is more like a major lack of Memory, overheating , corrupted game files, bad HDD/SSD but in reality it could be anything.

As your issue only is happening with WoW and your system is fine with other games assuming those games are MMO’s or like WoW and your system temps are ok, although WoW is not that demanding compared with a lot of other current games, first thing I’d do If your running an Anti Virus is disabling that, also if you re-download , or scan and fix the game disable Anti Virus first, they have a bad habit of Blocking some files, sometimes the game will still run fine, until it needs those files. If that is the culprit you should be able to put WoW on a “white list” or disable the Anti Virus for WoW and you should re-download everything you’ve changed with it disabled.

Anti Virus’s can be good to have , but they have a lot of con’s as well as the pro’s. I personally don’t use one, they add too much unnecessary bloat and extra drain on system resources plus from previous experience they can cause alot of issues downloading games

I did reinstall the whole game as stated above, even scanned and repaired it twice before i i did the reinstall. Actually since i changed the thermal paste on my gpu my tempratures have dropped but its still happening. And no i am not running any antivirus on my pc the only one i use is the one which is by default on windows 10 i have installed any other one.

I even scanned through command promt to search for corrupted files but it didnt find any

I used to have a similiar issue in Legion but a driver update was fine for me. I didn’t update on the current nvidia drive either.

I have disabled it but it hasnt fixed it, i actually froze instantly while i got into character screen. At this point i have to run the game and it will freeze a couple of times untill it doesnt and thats when i can play the game