PCU Discussion, Questions and Views

Yea… They do have an awesome aggresive neutral guild in the Ebon Onslaught, tho… And while I would love an Argent guild from them… I kinda do understand a peace-loving guild concept who is supposed to be friends with everyone is kind of boring to pull off :stuck_out_tongue:

Not so much that we don’t like the concepts (I think) so much as that it’s hard to write conflict with other guilds for relatively passive (regarding other factions) groups in the setting and keep it fresh for a longer period of time.

6 Likes

it’s more so that these groups have precisely nothing going on at any point in time + there isn’t huge interest for them because they’re kind of niche (esp the latter two)

Also worth noting that when these organizations DID still have a grasp at relevance/importance, the PCU was just a collection of specifically Horde guilds.

2 Likes

It’s hard to make an Argent Dawn/Crusade guild that isn’t just “Scarlets but not evil” and there’s not been enough Mage interest for an entire guild on their own.

But if someone were to make an Argent Dawn, Kirin Tor, Earthen Ring guild and it gets a solid base etc, then they’re probably welcomed with open arms. Initiative is rewarded.

7 Likes

There is so much drama and it’s crazy to see it taking over the forums!

I recently came back to WoW in lockdown after taking a break taking place shortly before MoP came out in 2011 because my pretentious 15 year old imagination was scared Pandaria would flood WoW RP with a deluge of cutesy furry RPing (my mind amazes me… predicting Vulpera RP). In WOTLK and Cata Argent Dawn was a very busy server and most kinds of RP -could- be found, but humans were often played as straight up racists, so Draenei and Nelf RP was marginalised, Gnomes were often mistreated ICly, etc etc. Around this time, Perroy’s Rotgarde felt like a large part of the Forsaken RP scene but it was no more conspiratorial than that.

I came back this year and most of the issues I had mentioned above had largely vanished, to my pleasant surprise! The allied races were also actually mostly cool, and although some of them had a cold reaction from people I interacted with, I can remember posting in threads about future expansions in c. 2011 full of people wishing for playable Mag’har, Dark Iron, Kul Tiras, Zandalar, et al. It felt pretty cool to see things finally playable that I had seen poorly attempted back then! The server is definitely quieter now. Stormwind can still get busy, but Silvermoon feels like a ghost town (to me). A lot (more) RP is dispersed in the world.

I remember ERP being an unfortunate but largely laughable activity 9ish years ago but I don’t remember it being considered the great evil and plague on the server it is now. So when I first interacted with PCU guilds and members and heard them talking about it I was a bit puzzled but cool with it because like I never understood the ERP thing anyway. I thought maybe they were exaggerating, until I was personally approached for ERP unprompted and unsolicited on several characters (one of whom was a 12,000 shoeless Night Elf priestess!).

I don’t think the PCU stuff is perfect. The guilds are (relatively) demanding on time. Member overlaps are exaggerated by detractors, but they do exist a little. Members can be a little cliquey, sure, a little combative with lore, a little dismissive of other RPers as being perverts or lollers who are outside of their circle. But the quality of their RP is better than a lot of other places on the server (maybe because any guild that is serious and big enough is easily amalgamated, which sounds less like a conspiracy than a natural process of community to me).

I also don’t think it’s inconceivable, that in my absence as WoW’s player base has shrunk its RP scene has become dominated by those seeking to live out their weird online sexual predilections. Wayfarer’s Rest in SMC used to be a place full of questionable-at-best RP, but now it’s a full Horde-Goldshire. Trial accounts seem to have accelerated the issue. MMO RP scenes getting slowly dominated by sexual extremists is definitely something that I feel like I could dredge up examples of.

:leafy_green: :leafy_green: :leafy_green: :leafy_green: anyway

8 Likes

To be honest, I think the forums have been the main outlet for drama for some time.

3 Likes

I´ve been in multiple guilds on AD before joining PCU and I don´t think they are demanding in any way. There are people who can´t RP often and there´s really no issue with them.
On top of that, there are no giant continuous storylines for individual guilds where missing few days of RP is equivalent to missing 2 episodes of 8 episode Netflix show and suddenly you don´t know who this important NPC with rich backstory is, why you are in prison and why is your guild´s hunter´s wolf green and screaming in German. Which means it´s often much easier to take a break and come back week later.

Absolutely true, but what one should remember is that this overlap is irrelevant when it comes to numbers online. Vast majority of PCU players only has one subscription, so if there are 200 people online, you can safely say there are close to 200 people online.

1 Like

Always has, always will.

Ahh not quite really. We interact plenty with groups outside the PCU, only people/groups we’ve consistently had nothing but mediocre-at-best experiences with get dismissed.

Yeah ofc you’ll have some guys in multiple guilds. Ideally I’d have enough time in my day to be in every single one of them because all of them are hella cool

v true, Silvermoon City suffered more than many other places in this regard. To loosely quote someone else, the criminal RP stopped being criminal RP and instead became a game or who can bed who.

1 Like

No thanks.

2 Likes

I mean, it also suffers from being Old As Dirt. Outside of portals getting around Silvermoon and Eversong is an Ache, thanks to the lack of flying. I’m guessing it’s the same for the Exodar.

I know SW and Org are also pretty dated, compared to the Legion and onward areas, but at least they’re easy to traverse.

1 Like

Also very true. Both TBC racial cities need an update

6 Likes

Funny thing is that the zone could be adjusted for flying with little to no effort. I used to play on private server that for some reason did not have flying turned off in those zones once it switched to Cata and Silvermoon was the only area with smoke and mirrors, everything else was fine.

All you need is removal of some invisible walls around the zone, put some additional ones over hills to the south (since the map cuts off right under Quel´Lithien) and then use invisible walls to force people to fly lower around Silvermoon and prevent them from ever rising above inner walls of the city and you are done, no updates needed for the zone to allow flying.

1 Like

If anything, the amount of forum drama has really cooled off over the years. It used to be every week that someone’s ERP would get leaked to the forums and it’d all go wild.

Now anything that does come up tends to be PCU related. Can’t believe that Perroy’s evil empire has claimed a monopoly on forum drama. :triumph:

5 Likes

Mutter grumble, evil PCU, rabble rabble…

First we steal all forum drama…

Then somehow we steal people’s RP.

(Note, I still don’t know how to do that.)

Then the server…

and it all happens thanks to those who hate and antagonize the pcu

Keep up :sunglasses:

Lmao this is good PCU such a grey group

If you do like PCU, play with them. If you don’t like PCU, just ignore the fact that people are in the PCU and play with them anyway. If you’re critical of a group or don’t like it for whatever reason, you can still detach that group label from individuals and interact with them regardless.

A big group or collective is always going to attract haters and have rumor mills spun about it. If you want to see what the PCU is about, go and get involved. Instead of bringing it to the attention of the forums, maybe take your critique/suggestions to Perroy or the PCU leadership directly? This isn’t the PCU forums. Honestly, by bringing it up here, it kind of looks like you’re blatantly trying to create drama.

2 Likes