People being banned for using the XP potion bug

It is not … the potions have been implemented as reward for service medals.
But they where meant to be used one at a time, however if you separated stacks you could have more than one active and that was (in my eyes very clearly) an exploit.

It was not possible to activate it from the same stack … I think it is obvious it was not intended.

I think it is not about the levels gained, but about potions stacked - if you stacked two or three I guess Blizzard sees it a little more to the curious side (two might even occur unintentionally for a few minutes, when you send the second potion to you alt, short before the first expires and you activate it right away), while more (and some where using significantly more) are obvious intentional exploit for a major gain.

An additional factor is probably if the account has been actioned before (I think Blizzard stated this quite some time ago - sadly I have no source at hand).

How I understand you can get ban for abusing a bug. It is in every online game forbidden.

“It is harsh, sure, and that’s intentional. The abuse of the exploit was self evident the moment it was possible, shared and openly used. You’re a veteran from 2010, you remember other such exploits and keeping away from them.”

From a GM.

HE adviced to never stack potions int he future. So im totally gonna send a ticket whenever I can stack something again. lol

It will be the difference between doing it once and doing it 50 times.

1 Like

Banning people for skipping terrible content with no impact and screwing up their own weekend event.
Never go full Blizzard PEPEGA

1 Like

I get it. People used 20 pots at once and got suspended.
How is it different to leveling on timeless isle in MoP or exploiting honor levels in bfa to get horse mount tho? as far as I know people who did those two things never got suspended.

1 Like

Those things were not against the rules or an exploit. If you can’t see that then you aren’t looking hard enough.

Getting 180 honor levels in few hours isnt exploiting? lol

1 Like

You get longer punishments if you have a history of breaking the game’s rules already.

I thought people did get banned for that, I only really should have quoted the first part of that.

Yeah, some people did get banned for doing that. There as an uproar about the bans, with people saying it was a “clever use of mechanics”. Some people lost the honor levels as well.

I just find it funny that they banned people for using few potions to speed up leveling process a little bit. If they could afford XX potions it means they spent XX hours doing content that provided honorbound medals. It’s not like they conjured potions out of thin air to exploit the game.

This whole situation shows that leveling is still dull and revulsive.
I love argument “they lost money on boosts so you got punished”. If your main concern are microtransactions in a huge mmo then you should wake up and think about your priorities. I get that no matter what it is still a punishable offence against TOS but… but… eh I’ll be back on sunday.

3 Likes

The lengths of other players bans are not a guilde I am afraid. Penalties add up, so if one of those had previously had bans, they could get a 30 days suspension even for just doing 1 level on the exploit.

If you got 7 days that is on the lower end. Bans were 3 to 30 days. It may also not be about the amount of levels, but the fact that 113-119 is a longer exp bracket than the same number of levels from say 33-39. So whilst both those skip 6 levels, the amount of exp actually skipped is far greater. So I would say 7 days is about right if it’s your 1st offence. That last one you quoted that got 30 days for 114-120 likely had previous history with exploits etc.

1 Like

By exploiting a bug, which was also known as a bug, and if they act like ‘‘How was I supposed to know!?’’, use your noggin.

Potions/Flasks normally don’t stack that way.

Can I just point out that nobody got “banned” its just a suspension :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: The severity and length seems a little off tho, no logic to it. Seen people who used 5 get the same time as ppl who used 30 and ppl who gained 50 lvls receive similar times as those who gained 10. Just seems completely random.

The minimum is 2 days not 3. I’ll admit I’m one of those who received a 2 day suspension… Entirely on me tho, no excuses made. Max us also more than 30, seen ppl with 32 days.

I was just going by the wowhead article which admittedly was gaining it’s information from reddit, so quite likely to be innacurate :slight_smile:

My hardline in this is; bugs are for the devs to fix and banning them is punishing the player for the sloppyness of the company

At the same time I also think its reasonable to say; we discovered this bug please dont use it. BUT make it as a pop-up in game so that you cant say you missed the memo

3 Likes

I wondered if any bans were imposed on the one initially finding out about the exploit and spreading it over the internet. Something tells me not.

so, just to make it clear, am i safe to level my alts with this potion AND not to endanger my oxygensupply known as world of warcraft?
is this sloppycoding landmine cleared, or is it waiting for more victims to put toes upon it?