People being banned for using the XP potion bug

Today I found myself being disconnected and informed that my account had been temporarily suspended. Looking at reddit it is clear that the xp potion bug is the cause of the suspension.

I thought in the back of my mind that blizzard might action take against people using the exploit but dismissed it as unlikely, figuring that too many people had made use of it for blizzard to ban all of them. I took my chances, I knew what I was doing and I am at fault here.

I am NOT complaining about being suspended for exploiting the bug

My concern is in the disparity in the length of punishments. I received 7days 6hours for levelling ~113 to 119 in 1 hour. Other people report:

I just received a 3 day temporary ban … I used the stacking potions from around level 40-70ish on my Zandalari before stopping … Leveled all the way up to 120 using only one potion at a time from then on out.

Leveled a toon from 116-120 and a zandalari from 20-49 and got a one-month ban

114-120, one toon. 30 day suspension.

It would be nice to know why I got a week and other people get 3 to 30 days, especially since the number of levels gained vs length of bans don’t seem to be proportional in a lot of cases.

12 Likes

Because blizzard loses money when you don’t pay for a level boost. It’s easy math.

28 Likes

I leveled from 20-34, took me like 50 minutes. Then a hotfix, and got a 2 day, 5hour ban

Good to know using xp potions is a bannable offence I never used them anyway so I’m clean but still reading this makes me singhell no to the no no no.

2 Likes

most likely depends on if the people who got banned have, had something else happening on their account before, like a smal ban before or something, that would explain the difference in ban lenght.

4 Likes

Have you been banned or anything before OP?

Bans add up afaik so could be longer because your record is not quite clean.

You could always open a ticket and argue your case with a gm to try shorten it though as others have got shorter bans but I wouldn’t hold my breath that they will do anything.

3 Likes

to exploited it you needed to manualy put then each individual than drink them one by one.

buy if you used then normaly one at a time you are safe.
i made a post asked if it was normal to level up from 62-67 in 2 dungeon.

Nope, no prior suspensions on this account. I’ve also had beta access for every expansion from wod to bfa, and I believe a suspension means I can say goodbye to that to so … rip.

3 Likes

I think it’s possible but I’m not sure that he has been actioned before and him doing something wrong actually increased the time.

Blizzard have explained it before with the Ivus infinity-loot exploit. If a bug is known and you use it, you might get punished depending on how severely you abused it. People who killed Ivus two- three times didn’t get any punishments, however those who did it 20+ times got a short ban and a roll back, some others got a month etc for doing it 100+ times.

It all depends on how much you do a certain thing, then also however you spread this information further or not(some streamers got harsh punishments for streaming and sharing the exploit to their wievers) and also past records of abusing exploits may affect the total outcome.

1 Like

They should really look more into the indevidual cases then.

Stacking potions to take down mythic bosses VS leveling 15 levels.
Seems to be a huge diffrence on the impact on the game and others

2 Likes

Open a ticket. I am conflicted because I kinda feel bad for you but then you freely admit to exploiting a bug knowingly etc so feel you deserve to be punished for it too. However if you have a clean record up to now the discrepancy is odd.

I will also add that you may be facing a forum action too as talking about bans is against the ToS lol

3 Likes

Nef is really talking about bans a bannable offence really?

1 Like

Good to see they took action. If it seems too good to be true and you carry on taking advantage then ban deserved.

1 Like

I also think people may have thought that since you acctually had to put in resources you acctually worked for, it may have been intended.
That tiny buff seemed kinda weak on its own. A stacking of the effect didnt seem to be too far of a stretch. Eventually you would run out of resources, and you cant grin em endlessy trough the day

1 Like

Yeah :roll_eyes: laughing at silly things in the game is a bannable offence too (mutters bitterly)

2 Likes

When would it have ever been intended? If it was intended, then you wouldn’t have had to split the potions up into separate stacks to do it, you would have been able to use all the potions in 1 stack.

1 Like

Oh … whoops

I think they will if you ask for it trought a ticket. I got a forum ban for breaking the rules. I wrote a ticket and explained and they removed the ban within a hour or so.

However when it comes to mass use of an exploit like this was, they will just look trought the logs and see who did use xx amount of this pot and frequency then just ban in different severity categories. It’s simply way more efficient.

makes a frowned facewell I guess they hate fun and not talking about the this particular thing.And I’m happy you are not mad at me anymore and we are talking again smiles.