People being banned for using the XP potion bug

you needed to seperate your exp pots into individual stacks to do it, so you only ran the risk of getting banned by exploiting on purpose.

Anyone who got slapped with a suspension had it coming.

1 Like

I donā€™t know whether the bug is fixed, but the exploit was only for taking multiple potions at once to get hugely multiplied XP.

If you only drink one at a time, until it wears off, you are, and always have been, safe.

2 Likes

You exploited, you got the ban hammer, i leveled this Zandalari all the way from 20 to 120 without exploit by just playing the game using 10% potions sometime, if i struggled leveling you should too.

Thats good to know, thank you :slight_smile: Iā€™ve been leveling my Zanda-Pala using those pots and heirlooms and just reading this thread now bought me out into a sweat! So knowing that this bug is also about how the potions are stacked makes me breathe a huge sigh of relief!

Cheers Moistmeatbal and GrƔinne :+1:

That last one you quoted that got 30 days for 114-120 likely had previous history with exploits

So essentially itā€™s multiple factors, I guess that makes sense. Itā€™s hard to determine as a player since Iā€™m not privy to that info.

Iā€™m super bummed out that I canā€™t play but thatā€™s what happens. On a semi-related note, this is gonna make me super paranoid about anything that could maybe possibly be considered an exploit.

The skips in Court of Stars, Nelthā€™s Lair and Freehold, all were bugs that fixed that I and others exploited, but no punishments were rolled out.
Iā€™m not saying these are on the same level as the xp bug, I donā€™t think they are, but as I said, Iā€™m still gonna be paranoid as all hell.

True that, poor choice of wording on my part.

Anyways, Iā€™ve said my piece and got the answer I wanted, they can delete this now should it be against ToS :smiley:

Well some people are not that smart, I for one believed it to be a thing, since you had to farm service medals. Although there were some questionable holes, such as why you had to stack them in oneā€™s.

It was only later, after having used around 20 on gaining 2-4 levels that I truly realized it was an exploit.

Got a 2 day ban, so I am satisfied.

Youā€™ve been banned to appease a few self-righteous NPC wannabes.

Dw about it.

3 Likes

very obvious that there would be bans for this, easy to detect, easy to ban, no reports needed.

my ban history is bad so i didnt go near those pots.
few friends got banned tho :rofl:

1 Like

Seems silly to ban ppl for saving a couple of hours on irrelevant content

1 Like

Exploits are exploits and need to be punished, but speed up the leveling phase is indeed very irrelevant content. Did the stats increase also stack?

ā€˜Exploits are exploits and I think they need to be punished, but speed up the leveling phase for what I deem is very irrelevant content.ā€™

Fixed that up a bit, and no, I donā€™t believe so.

Odd, isnā€™t it?

Explain to me how this is an exploit, please.

-We are using a potion that costs us currency in game, to get the currency, we need = time played. Time = money. If I choose to use 600 potions, it is my currency = time and money to use as I please.

-You knew about this alleged bug and did not tell people about it, choosing to keep silence even when big streamers were doing it and encouraging people to do it. And after more than a week you decide to Ban people without consistency on alleged fault to punishment ratio?

-The potion buff does not tell you how much you time have left on it, somehow that is not a bug deemed of your interest to fix?

You are hitting real lows lately ActivisionBlizzard, see the branch on your eye before you see the straw in others. Fix your F******** game before you release it and situations like this will not arise.
Can you really afford people to dislike you even more? Potentially loose even more subscribers? Hmm think not. Hitting people with such irrational punishments for irrelevant content is a joke, and a bad oneā€¦

Even to people like me, real fans, never unsub, riders of bad waves you are making us consider our support.

4 Likes

I got banned for using the xp potion thing on my zandalari from level 25->40 rewarding me with a 2,5 day ban , the only good perspective i get out of this the amount of people unsubscribring after this massive failure blizzard made since they put up ā€˜ā€™ quality ā€˜ā€™ patches , they make crap patches , players finally have something to do , once you have something to do , bam you get banned , lets show them whoā€™s paying their bills around there.

1 Like

With how incredibly bad leveling is in WoW i think most people that got banned probably think it was worth it.

3 Likes

I have mixed feelings about it. Other companies such as Google actually award prizes if a person finds a bug in their code, while Blizzard bans the user. I think that bugs are going to be exploited and perhaps instead of banning the person, undo the damage that they did. After all if it was not for the person actually using the bug, we would have not known about it in the first place.

Now Blizzard should do something against these Freehold lvl boosts with a broken Demonhunter twink.

1 Like

If people found the bug and then reported it, nothing would happen. People got banned for finding the bug, then exploiting it as much as they possibly could. Itā€™s clearly in the ToS that abusing/exploiting a bug within the game can get you banned/suspended for a certain period of time, just like any other game out there.

Itā€™s an exploit because it was used to bypass a certain part of the game. If you could have 1 stack of 20 and use all 20 like that, then I think they would have been more lenient. But, because you had to physically split the potions into stacks of 1 before using it, anyone with common sense would know that this is not intended, but people still did it.

People spent an hour getting 100+ honor levels. Time played = Money, so the exploit they did was fine, right? Or the guilds who used class bugs to kill Mythic bosses. Thatā€™s fine because it took ā€œtime playedā€. In fact, ALL bugs are fine within the game, because it takes time played, right? Wrong, itā€™s still a bug.

They were probably spending that week going through the millions of lines of code to find out their problem and fix it before they brought the ban hammer down on those who used it.

Tell me 1 Triple A game out there that doesnā€™t have ANY bugs in, Iā€™ll wait. EVERY game has them. Itā€™s literally impossible for a Coder to be able to find and fix ALL bugs, when they have to go through millions upon millions of lines of code.

If I sent you 1000ā€™s of pages of writing, and told you to find all the spelling mistakes within a week, would you be able to do it?

You may see it as ā€œirrelevant contentā€, but that does not mean people can abuse a bug because of that. I see PvP as irrelevant content for me, since I donā€™t enjoy PvP, so should I be allowed to exploit the Gladiator mounts? Doesnā€™t affect anyone but me, since itā€™s a mount, so why canā€™t I have it?

No, only a small few will be considering terminating their support because of this. Plenty of people are glad they did something about it, since this is about people exploiting a game.

1 Like

Iā€™m glad everyone got suspended for bug exploiting.

Anyone with half a brain cell would know how serious Blizzard take stuff like this. Itā€™s great seeing how people try and convince themselves they wonā€™t get punished though, because of the shear amount of people abusing the bug.

And I think they gave the suspensions depending on how many stacks of the buff you stacked? Maybe, I donā€™t know.

You do realize a few years ago some people pulled world bosses into major cities or spread raid debuffs to entire cities killing dozens of players and nobody got banned, right?
Also what did these people do? Level up? Iā€™d be totally for bans that exploit things that provide unfair rewards that matter, but people were just leveling up their alts, why do you even care if someone found a way to level up faster? How does that affect anyone?

4 Likes