[Pet, Buffs] Pet buffs expire while logged off or dismissed

Is this something that belongs on the “not a bug” list, or is this something unintended?

Currently, when a player logs off, all buff timers on them are put on pause, meaning that you can get e.g. Rallying Cry of the Dragonslayer days before you need it for your raid, as long as you log off after recieving the buff. However, this is not the case for hunter and warlock pets. If they recieve any buff, the timer on that buff will not be paused while logged out or dismissed.

Given that the timer works this way for players, to me it seems unintended that the buff timers keep running on pets while logged off?

EDIT: From patch 1.8: “Fixed a bug that would allow Hakkar’s Corrupted Blood ability to target pets.”

So after 1.8, hunter pets could never spread the Corrupted Blood debuff again anyways.

EDIT 2: Only thing I can find in patch notes that could counter this point is from patch 1.12.1, however I am unsure of what is meant by “properly” in this case: “Pet buffs will now apply and remove properly.”

What is meant by properly? Nowhere is it stated what this means, but if we go by “properly” as in “the same way all players experience their buffs and debuffs”, then the buffs should not expire while dismissed/logged out.

It’s intentional… after the whole corrupted blood shenanigans back in the day, they made it so all buffs/debuffs get wiped otherwise we’d be back to the days of people going to ZG and bringing back super funsie stuff and making their pets blow people up in AH with Geddons bomb etc.

I might be wrong here, but didn’t they make it so debuffs on pets would disappear when you switched zone, eg by hearthstoning? Because what I notice most of the time, which makes no sense in terms of your point here, is that when I do DMT runs and my pet runs too far away and disappears, it still has debuffs running on it when I resummon it.

EDIT: From patch 1.8: “Fixed a bug that would allow Hakkar’s Corrupted Blood ability to target pets.”

So after 1.8, hunter pets could never spread the Corrupted Blood debuff again anyways.

EDIT 2: Only thing I can find in patch notes that could counter this point is from pat 1.12.1, however I am unsure of what is meant by “properly” in this case: “Pet buffs will now apply and remove properly.”

What is meant by properly? Nowhere is it stated what this means, but if we go by “properly” as in “the same way all players experience their buffs and debuffs”, then the buffs should not expire while dismissed/logged out.

Debuffs dont expire while logged out tho. Its only buffs.

Guess I’m out of date then, I just remember them changing it so we couldn’t bring corrupted blood back. And have no memories/cares after as pretty much every guild at the time made you dismiss you pet for raiding regardless… at least on my server. Except for I mean the only time we used our pets back in the day was for pulling the adds on Hakkar and pulling geddon into the tunnels

Bump for visibility. Is this a bug or a working as intended?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.