Pet Peeve #37: With a License to Peeve

dOn’T yOu gUyS hAvE pHoNeS ? ? ? ?

5 Likes

Closes his holy tome.

You’re beyond saving.

5 Likes

It’s about practicality and common sense, not “realism”. Wearers of bikini armor might as well paint archery targets on their exposed bellies.

Nobody’s asking Blizzard to portray realistic medieval economics or, say, realistic travel times. But if an element of the setting provokes an immediate “wait, what the heck, how does that make sense?” reaction, that’s an immersion failure.

Edit: another pet peeve about the new and improved™ forum is that it overrides Ctrl-F, a key combination for a standard browser function. Who does that?

2 Likes

You’re not wrong, although taking blood elf vanity into consideration, ornamental or ceremonial armor in the platekini style isn’t out of the question. Overly ornamental armor might really be ok too, this elf has had a damn long time learning to compensate. Again, with blood elven vanity in particular, something might not be worth doing if you cannot do it with style.

1 Like

I get it’s about practicality. But as I have said in a many previous discussions on this exact topic. To some it breaks immersion when it’s not realistic, or as you veiled it, Practical enough to work.

For me, it is immersion breaking when someone twists their nipples over me dressing my Nelf the way that’s completely normal for them.

As far as I am concerned, since blizzard AT LAST added the classic cinematics armour to some nelves in Dark Shore, everyone’s lost all leverage to me, on this subject. For THERE IT IS.

It’s not weird, not stupid, it’s god damn normal for these people.

Edit: And if people still can’t accept that, then at least stop shoving it down others throats. I never tell others how to go about. Ever.

So here is some simple yet solid advice I will quote from the late TotalBiscuit.
“It’s okay NOT to like something, but don’t be a dick about it.”

3 Likes

And they are, of course, perfectly justified in following what’s normal for their culture, as long as they’re prepared to deal with the logical consequences - namely, their unprotected body parts being easy to hit in combat.

2 Likes

I imagine Divinity Original Sin 2 is a good game and all, but I don’t really feel comfortable with the money investment in to it (Yeah it’s on sale now on Steam, but it’s still a hefty chunk of change there). Considering I am currently unemployed and having a pretty hard time finding work that could suit me (And won’t leave me standing like a statue in pain after five hours), I don’t think I can afford to invest in to games by myself.

I wonder how will Lintian argue the “Muh imyershin” part, knowing that there are Night Elves wearing platekinis down at Darkshore, and also during the expansion pre-launch event.

waits for the “I am not gonna answer to flamebait” statement in order to dodge the pondering

Edit:

I think Night Elves are known to be very agile creatures, so even if they’re exposed and all that, they probably compensate for said exposure with agility. I am pretty sure they have a racial that does increase their dodge chance.

And even then, you said that it’s “Imyershin breaking” to see someone go about in a platekini, when they are playing as a race that is/has been presented as agile, or is known to wear platekinis as a sort of cultural thing.

1 Like

Just a question, then. How do you feel about druids? Surely it must be the exact same opinion then. For an unarmored Saber or bear would be cut to pieces quite easily by skilled warriors? But for some reason, I have never once seen anyone mention that.

It really leads me to believe all people complain about, is that the “armour” is revealing. That is the only thing that spurs this debate. Nothing to do with logic, seemingly.

1 Like

Orcs have really thick skin according to Lord of the Clans to the point where a human throwing the hardest punch he could muster was barely felt by Thrall, his skin barely even pricked by the tip of a spear poked at him by harassing guards.

And according to Beyond Dark Portal they’re also very resistant to pain to the point of conventional torture methods being useless on them. Turalyon had to start frying the brains of an orc with the Light before he’d talk.

That’s without accounting for adrenaline-induced temporary pain suppression.

Orcs wearing what they do (bare chested grunts, etc.) is very justifiable for them in this setting while we’re on the matter of characters wearing exposed armour/clothing to combat.

2 Likes

This does explain why the Mag’har are practically shirtless for their Heritage Armor. And even then you have to look at the Orcs’ body build, and think to yourself “Huh, they’re probably pretty strong and tough, that a punch from one of them could make a comical explosion out of a Gnome”

So it’s kinda weird to then make the assumption that all Orcs are required to wear big pieces of armor in order to get some protection, as opposed to having an advantage of “Thick muscly skin”

According to Rise of the Horde, orcs traditionally didn’t even wear plate armour. Their biggest concerns were teeth and claw of beasts on Draenor, so they wore leather and fur armour. Their thick skin took care of the rest.

Then they went to war with the Draenei and needed to deal with the fact that their advanced weapons would cut through their tribal armour (or lack thereof) like a hot knife through butter.

Blackrock obviously being the exception due to recent lore revelations that they were always industrial-minded.

1 Like

How will Lintian the character react, or how will I react?

Me: “Blizzard carries on with the fanservice. In other news, water is wet.”

Lintian: “See, this is why we keep losing to the Horde. Our culture is an old fossil that has completely lost touch with reality. Now excuse me, I’m busy settling down in Pandaria and ignoring this stupid war.”

1 Like

To me the biggest issue with plate-kini type armour is that, realistically, a well-made and full-body suit of leather won’t impede you at all AND will protect you far better.

Bikini type armour just has never made logical sense. No amount of agility is going to deflect an arrow, a claw, etc forever. Even in a fantasy setting like WoW I can only stretch fantasy logic so far. It’s why Sylvanas ditched her belly-dancer outfit after all. The only reason I can think of is -maybe- the NElves wanted to avoid their armour snagging on branches etc? But now those branches, thistles and thorns can catch their exposed skin instead? Eeeeh… Just wear a full suit of leather or similar. Protects you from the bare minimum and isn’t going to impede your mobility at all.

Peeve: People who think wearing metal armour makes you a walking tank, in the sense of “No no you’re not allowed to dodge roll!” or “You can’t sprint!”

First: Fantasy races such as worgen, tauren, etc are stupid strong (Reminder that a worgen in a Cataclysm quest picks up his carriage and starts beating you to death with it) and while their armour may be bigger and heavier than what a human might wear, their immense strength will be more than enough to overcome it.

And second:

The only way full plate will downright cripple you is if you’re not trained in wearing it, or it’s badly made. Not to say plate is flawless ofc. The reason you can move in it at all is because of the varying gaps or joints, blunt weapons can cave it in, it gets HOT if you wear it for more than a short while (Which is why it bugs me that people casually wear armour 24/7 in SW but I digress), and yes you won’t be as nimble as someone in leather or even chainmail. But you won’t suddenly move like an Elder Scrolls PC that’s over-encumbered while wearing it!

2 Likes

Another thing that bugs me about realism, is people only apply it where it supports their point. A vest of chain mail is virtually impenetrable, no sword or arrow will get through it. You will feel the impact of a sword hitting you, giving some bruises, maybe even breaking a bone depending on WHERE it hits. But it will NEVER cut through.

If we all went medieval realism and logic here. Every person ever, except spell casters. Should wear studded leather, or chain mail, or plate armour in battle. And guess what. Two of those things makes swords redundant. It means all of us in melee range, are suddenly required to use only axes or Warhammers, for otherwise we´ll never put a dent in one another.

But still we see it, people swinging swords at a fully plated individual, and expecting it to hurt them, while at the same time making a point of saying somewhat revealing stuff is insane. Yeah it is, it’s not logical. It’s not ethical and it sure as hell won’t protect you.

But that sword, you got? It is not as strong as you think, either. Bones will chip it, blood and fat will make it slick and dull the edge. You cut down a few people and it’s just a metal stick without a sharp edge anymore, especially if they wore any semblance of armour, meaning leather. For as stated earlier. A sword simply WILL NOT cut Chain mail or plate.

Right, well I am now going to take my own advice and have this be my last post on the subject.

New peeve. Midnight. DROP FOR ME ALREADY! I need that amazing red Horse for my DK’s red Transmog, damnit!

2 Likes

Halfswording. And murderstrokes, for that matter.

Done.

Oh yes, definitely. If you’re using traditional sword models for your mog. Which, let’s be honest. The majority does not.

My takeaway from this is ‘we need more traditional sword models’.

Come on Blizzard, Anduril is also a fantasy weapon, and I’d kill for a high res sword looking like that!

But my sword is made of magical mithril that can penetrat eny armr type in th gaem.

Also I’d like to believe (probably a headcannon thing) that some casters could theoretically have light leather padding in their robes, just as -some- form of protection from projectiles like arrows.

It still peeves me to see people trying to desperately claim that lootboxes are not gambling (When they clearly are), and then go about trying to discredit people against them in the stupidest ways possible.

Like some guy who I am arguing with about this, is actually trying to bring up Youtubers who bash lootboxes and publishers implementing them, and discredit them by saying “They have Patreon, they have no right to complain about lootboxes”, and said that the only reason they are bashing on publishers and lootboxes, is because they are competitors to their Patreon money.

I think the only way to properly express the baffling nature of his statements, is by showing this image: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/501165104809771020/515565473442824192/Nani.jpg

I mean, unless the person is a troll, he is absolutely daffy, and has obvious beef with Youtubers who use Patreon. I can understand him if Youtubers use Patreon to essentially gate videos off behind numerous paywalls, but Youtubers who essentially get crowdfunded via Patreon? Eh?

I don’t know what peeves me more: People denying that lootboxes are gambling, or people who are absolutely desperate to discredit people who think that lootboxes are gambling.

1 Like

Yeah, lootboxes are indefensible at this point. The cost of games may be rising (mostly because publishers are telling us we need all this crap that we don’t actually need or care about until they make us) but covering that cost by manipulating people is just flat-out wrong.

If games really need to make more money, then the only thing I can really support is that Standard, Silver, Gold edition thing that’s happening now. I don’t think it’s ideal, but that to me seems like a fairer way of spreading the cost so that if you can afford the relatively naff extra content that comes with those things you can, without the price of the game proper changing.

Microtransactions (but not the predatory gambling sort etc.) are fine so long as they’re in F2P games, but otherwise I honestly believe this sort of thing is pretty damn immoral.

1 Like