Pet Peeve #37: With a License to Peeve

Thing is… games don’t need to make ‘that much’ money.

What is happening is industry bloat.

More and more managers, more and more positions that demand more and more money, but don’t actually need to be there.

It’s rampant short sighted greed, that will if they don’t correct course, kill the goose that lays the golden egg.

There is that too, of course. I was just saying that it is true that the cost of games is rising, but that’s largely because publishers are telling us we need insignificant stuff that doesn’t really matter.

It is very true that they don’t need to make that money though, and that pretty much all of it goes to CEOs anyway. Plus, we often see the combination of all these practices so it’s hardly a case of “needing” all that money if they’re using every trick in the book to con people out of more.

I could go on a rant about how hoarding wealth like that is unethical, but that’s far more than just a peeve.

Tl;dr: most game publishers are very bad.

1 Like

Peeve: when “canon” is misspelled “cannon”.

1 Like

HeelsvsBabyface’s videos always show the worst side, ever, and never try to acknowledge anything—when they do, he twists it into a bad thing. He’s not wrong in some videos, but his agenda is obvious; he heavily hates WoW.

It varies on how you look at it. I’ve got about 250 (?) hours into it, and I’ve not yet finished. Matter of fact, I’m only haflway through. If money represents time investment, you’re going to get a lot of gameplay out of it. It’s not long for no reason, either, it just has a genuinely big and interesting world.

idk what majority you associate yourself with these days abysscaller, but everyone around me uses pretty reliable/realistic weapon models. the consensus is that flashy and big might be a thing, but its still obnoxious and ridiculous. reserve that for obvious ‘hero’ characters, or just dont prance around like a burning candle

I don’t know who everyone around you is these days. But those with me, like to treat WoW like the High fantasy universe it is, and not wash it down everyones throat that you have to use dull transmogs to simulate GoT.

1 Like

Solid jab, would work if I actually did dress up like GoT characters. Maybe I should post some pics of my characters? brb, let’s rate my transmogs

Stereotype to stereotype, I’d say. THere are people who hate everyone who uses flashy stuff, we’re apparently known as disco balls, or as you say, burning candles.

Then there is your stereotype, GoT looks.

1 Like

I can’t think of anything but that when people misspell it.
https://i.chzbgr.com/full/7042497280/hBC634963/

1 Like

The profits these publishers report to their shareholders plus the bonuses handed to their CEOs should tell anybody how much they really need all that extra income.

1 Like

While I don’t think anyone will deny that game development is cheap, I don’t think that the actual cost is as high as publishers want to make people believe.

I am pretty certain that a majority of the budget for these big games goes in to marketing, as opposed to raw game development, and I don’t think it’s unfair or invalid to think that. In case anyone seen that Fifa 19 (Or whatever soccer game it is) advertisement, the one with crazy editing involved: There’s a good chance that EA blew a good chunk of money just to make that one advertisement, as opposed to making Fifa 19 anywhere close to amazing. And from what I hear, it’s not exactly much of a major improvement.

This lady gets it.

https://i.imgur.com/AyuZuBb.jpg

Overall I’d say I’ve done a pretty good job at not sticking to GoT looks & capturing a healthy degree of cultural/racial importance, but maybe my swords aren’t big enough for WoW? I do dislike shoulder gear that’s bigger than my torso as a general rule of thumb, but that definitely comes down to personal preference.

PS: These are obviously my most down-to-earth ones, trying to replicate the fabled GoT feel.

I love the blood elf mage one! This tier set is amazing, and not really used that much!

Over 100 hours here and haven’t finished the game once either, but simply because I keep creating new characters without ever finishing the existing one.

1 Like

I know, right? I thought I’d be copying people by using it, but it turns out that most mages prefer the Antorus tier (which is my alternative, have to admit).

Greirat died in my Dark Souls 3 playthrough.

I did everything right! I sent him to irithyll, sent Patches after him then killed Old Demon king.

The amount of dark trolls or half dark trolls characters I’ve seen since BfA came out. We get a NPC confirming she’s the last of them, and suddenly so many dark trolls.

1 Like

I may or may not have done the same a few times.

This is all true and I agree with what both you guys are saying yeah. I didn’t mean the “rising costs” thing as a defence, just that costs are indeed rising, but mostly due to publishers’ own actions etc.

1 Like

Oh, don’t worry, I don’t think anyone is trying to go after you or anything. Doubt anyone’s a game journalist here who’d go after some with an opinion on things.

Though I agree on the Dark Troll aspect of your argument, I have to say that the Dark Troll that says she’s the last one, might aswell be wrong, though she is most likely one of the last.

it’d be a mistake to base lore facts solely on what characters in the game or lore says, they may be wrong or even lying.

2 Likes