Pet Peeve: The Undying

All my characters are females and probably attractive (I dunno, depends on people) and I don’t really get walked up a lot.

1 Like

Sounds like a fairly nightmarish scenario for people who are in general a bit too shy to make the first move to people, only to have their efforts be shot down with one or the other.

I wonder how do people approach the situation of two already having a conversation… I don’t know, I always feel like if I wanted to interact with a group of people already having a debate at a table, it’d be like a drunk person coming to a fancy dinner party.

It’s probably just as well. Projecting vulnerability attracts the worst kinds of people.

ESO moved to that model a few years ago because the old subscription model WoW still uses is just very outdated and not sustainable for a new MMO and it’s performing better than WoW atm. Changing to a new payment model and offering cosmetics as an incentive isn’t always an indication of a dying game.

It’s when the cash shop offers actual gameplay benefits that you have a serious issues, see runescape 3.

1 Like

The ESO payment model is also both ethically and morally superior to the WoW model.
Being able to pick and choose from the DLC modules in the cash shop, so you only pay for what you want is a no-brainer logical move to make.
Adding a voluntary subscription that offers leveling and quality of life bonuses to the game, as well as access to all the DLC and a monthly allowance to spend in the cosmetic game store, is a nice extra feature to have.
And of course, it all ends up being to the players’ benefit, as the model encourages developers to actually provide a steady stream of new content.

1 Like

And the only real “pay to win” things from the cash shop are XP scrolls (which you get through the daily log in promotion anyway) and buff food (which you can craft via cooking anyway).

It offers an alternative for people who are lazy, but all of the things that genuinely affect your gameplay in the Crown shop are things you can obtain through playing the game anyway.

It’s the cosmetic stuff that’s gated behind Crowns – and even then the exclusive motifs can be used by anyone as long as the crafter bought it. And if you’re subscribed for the previously mentioned benefits, you’re able to afford whatever new thing comes to the shop anyway.

I wouldn’t mind WoW moving to ESO’s model, provided they actually do it the way ESO did instead of opting for a poorly implemented Runescape 3 version. Time will tell.

2 Likes

There is a lot weighing on the .2 patch to be honest; there’s a lot of content on its way by the looks of it. But Blizzard also has to contend with Elsweyr or however it’s spelt and that other weeb one.

They genuinely need the kick to the butt tbh.

Furthermore, Zenimax Online Studios (who create ESO) have been known to give away DLC for free (!!!) as well as provide regular one-week subscription trials to their players, because they actually care about their playerbase.

Tfw Blizzard will never implement a system like ESO’s upcmoing necromancer where casting necromancer abilities in front of a witness gives you a bounty.

Mfw there isn’t even a bounty system to begin with. And considering the state of ESO at launch, WoW was ironically more equipped to implement such a system than ESO was. They had to write NPC and item code from scratch just to accommodate the crime system while WoW has had pickpocketing, reactionary NPC hostility based on conditions (debuff), and conditions changing depending on actions.

Literally all the tech required to just copy paste ESO’s crime system is already in WoW and there’s so much they could do with it to actually breathe that immersion and replayability into the game that they’re so concerned about.

Summoning demons, ghouls, etc. in cities (with a witness/different NPCs have different reactionary conditions to them), killing NPCs (with a witness), stealing, pickpocketing, etc. should just give you a bounty debuff. And if you’re caught while the debuff is active, you’re stunned by a guard and get a dialogue option to either pay or fight.

From a lore POV, it would flesh out the actual crimes in the setting without relying on all this guard guild headcanon. We know summoning demons is illegal in the cities as per Metzen’s ruling on the matter. Enforcing it through bounty would let that message sink in.

4 Likes

The grr elves storm out was weird in the first place when in Elegy both Genn and Tyrande affirm to Anduin that the loss of Teldrassil will not divide the Alliance.

This is what irks me the most; the massive, awful disconnect between ‘Lore, including all the external media and books etc’ and ‘Lore, as depicted purely in the playable game world’.

Stop putting important story matter in non-game media, it’s stupid and unnecessary and shows you have no faith in your ability to world-build! Ugh!

1 Like

Peeve:

We still don’t have a concrete narrative of how the night elves joined the alliance in the first place even with the chronicles. It’s not even a historical footnote, they simply are members one day, having something to storm out from.

5 Likes

They saw a deal on Groupon.

5 Likes

I was the wrong age demographic for that, I was 18, so my cynicism levels were high, to be fair, I think even at 5 years old I would have found it ridiculous and a desperate attempt by a man trying to cling to some relevance on Saturday evening entertainment, when they were long past their sell by date. I think it was a prime example of how you can defecate on a rug, but if you cheer it enough, people will like it because it is ‘funny’. I mean, there have been less funny episodes in British History, The Black Death wasn’t great, and the Great Fire of London wasn’t really that great, if you lived in London. The entire career of Joe Pasquale and Rowan Atkinson as Mister Bean were not high points. The Blitz, undeniably bad, Brexit, is either hilarious or heartbreaking depending on which side of the cynical/idealist line you fall, and the fact that more people vote for ‘Dancing on Ice’ and ‘X Factor’ than can actually be bothered to vote in National elections is a constant concern…

I think overall, it is fair to say, that my opinion of Mister Blobby, is one of utter disdain and contempt for whatever idiot decided to condescend to people in that way, and a fervent hope that they never achieve any sort of television prominence as a decision maker.

With that buzzkill I will now go and murder a swan or something…

2 Likes

I’ll be honest. Watch Underscore Dogs 2 is just annoying with how the whole “Hipsters of San Francisco” setting. I mean, I guess S.F is pretty much like that, but even then, come on. Still a fun game though regardless, always fun to go in to restricted areas and just messing with the guards there, either by sending armed gangsters in there, or by calling the police and saying that a guard is guilty of wrongthink or something.

But hey, it was the lesser of three evils, with the other two games being either a first-person caveman simulator of a franchise that’s overdone by a large margin, to a game with not much identity and an open world map that is… Well, to put it plainly: Too large for the game’s own good, essentially a Just Cause map, but with more restrictive navigation, and less to the world.

And yes, I know Just Cause games have large maps as well, but in those games your ability of movement isn’t restricted to just cars, boats or aircrafts (Plus it’s a game that is designed solely for causing destruction).

How bad is it to run SoO? because I have 3 druids to do it on and i need to kill the Klaxxi.

Not that bad, really.

Just boring.

I mean, you’re right it is boring, but I’ve heard its buggy ATM and i was just wondering if the bugs were like; can’t-complete-the-instance breaking.

Bear tartare made that gruesome run into something less painful to bear.

Heck, I even had a little competition with whoever I knew about how fast can you get it done across all classes with a timer.

Why did they ruin Bear tartare… Effing Fun thing it was.

You just answered your own question in the same sentence. Blizzard hates fun unless it’s a 6 week long repgrind.

1 Like