Pet Peeve: Wrath of the 20K Post Cap

We all are, my friend. We all are.

wow, I might actually get flying Friday.

May have the pvp mounts by then too (won’t have time to do alterac tomorrow)

Peeve: British people saying things like “half nine” when it comes to hours. What is it even supposed to be, half PAST nine or half TO nine? This keeps confusing me each time I hear/see it and I have to check it up so that I don’t come at the wrong hour. Be precise, please!

1 Like

Past nine.

EDIT: Half Nine is half (past) nine.

3 Likes

Alright Coldshade, I feel like every time you post it’s an attack against me.

1 Like

You’re British?

Are you swedish because my swedish friend has the same complaint.

“Half nine” is always half past. Always. It’s never anything else in English.

3 Likes

I am.

This.

2 Likes

In Sweden, half nine would mean 8.30 as it is halfway to nine.

1 Like

In Swedish “half nine” (halv nio) is “half TO nine” because it’s halfway from eight to nine.

1 Like

I’m not, but this way of saying it is still very confusing to me and the English teachers at school always made us specify whether it’s half past or half to when I was younger. Polish doesn’t have an equivalent of saying “half nine” either, the “past” or “to” is always specified.

Omg I’m so sorry, you know that I would never mean to attack you, Akamito! :purple_heart:

So yeah, just a language/culture mismatch thing. Here’s what I have to say to all of you!!!

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/oots/images/c/c7/Leadsheet.PNG/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/220?cb=20170401010106

2 Likes

this is why i voted brexit :triumph:

bloody foreigners being different from us but still taking the time to learn our language so they can communicate with us

despicable

1 Like

ok gamer…

What about the bloody foreigners coming to live in your country and take your jobs?! I’m sure these are even worse.

It’s the bloody foreigners leaving my country with my job I find even MORE worrying tbqh.

1 Like

No, I like those. Those guys are cool. Just don’t tell me how to verbalise time.

4 Likes

Yeah, my wife. Please Nigel Farage, send her back to her country!!!

Real talk though, the mismatches between English and Italian are hilarious at times. My favourite one being when she says “sensible” but actually means “sensitive” because in Italian that’s what sensible means.

1 Like

That’s not just italian. One can also make that mistake when coming from german.

1 Like

What weirdo says “half to” any time? That’s just weird.