Pet Peeve: Wrath of the 20K Post Cap

I had one built by Dell way back when, and they had plugged one thing in the wrong place which meant that the graphics card wasn’t functioning properly and it kept freezing at key moments.

If you can’t trust the “pros” … :man_shrugging:

Last time I built a PC myself I managed to mount the motherboard wrong and broke it.

Now I just pay someone else to do it because even though it was the better part of a decade ago, I really don’t want to have a repeat performance. That was a frustrating day.

1 Like

Ouch! I hope you were able to RMA it.

You really can’t. I got one from a website (overclockers was it?) and had to send it back cause it was faulty. Got it back and it was STILL faulty and kept bluescreening and all sorts. Uff.

big pain reading this

hahah NOPE. Just a big expensive mistake on my part.

Learning experience and all that I guess. Just like when I got myself locked out of my flat and had to drop £115 on a literal 30-second locksmith job 'cos my landlord was apparently unavailable with the spare set of keys.

1 Like

makes note to be extra careful with motherboard mounting

Thankfully my housemate knows how to build PCs, so I just conscript him when I need anything doing

1 Like

One of my old WoW friends who I played with for years is really into this stuff, so he did a lot of the legwork on finding a build that would work and in my price range.

He said he’d help me over voice call if I get into any trouble as well which is cool.

I bought one of those cool fancy cases with a tempered glass side so you can see inside, but I’m known for poor cable management so that was probably an awful idea. Just means everyone is able to see my shame.

1 Like

I never, ever have enough disposable income for character art commissions and every time other people’s profiles are filled with dozens of the things I am reminded of this fact.

3 Likes

I get that feeling. Some of my characters have a fair bit of art, but then I see profiles with, like you said, literal dozens of pieces and I wonder where that $ comes from. I want that kind of money.

How expensive are commissions?

It depends on the artist. Usually it varies between £50-200, depending on the quality and type (portrait, half-body, full-body, etc).

4 Likes

Depends on the piece (headshot sketch vs. full body painting). Cheapest stuff I’ve seen is usually £20-£30 with the most expensive ones going into the hundreds of £. I got a full body (coloured) of Elly, no background, for £75 which I thought was pretty decent!

1 Like

I think my Akamito commission was around €70. Full colour, waist up with a simple background.

1 Like

I guess the budget option is to spouse a pencil wizard but ain’t nobody got time fo’ that.

1 Like

I think my biggest outlay was about £150 for two portraits. They’re the best pieces I’ve ever gotten though, so no complaints from me.

Your seduction game needs to be on point, because that’s what a lot of ADers try. That’s where artist hero worship culture comes from; the hope for free stuff.

1 Like

S’real gross, and it often puts me off wanting to comment on cool art 'cos I’m worried it’ll make me come across as one of “those people” who’s only in it for free shizz.

1 Like

Yeah; I have a few friends who are artists, and I’d never consider asking for free stuff from them. They deserve to be paid for their stuff.

5 Likes

You mean the Choosing Beggars crowd?

1 Like