Pet peeves: The return (Part 4)

I actually started playing Bioshock yesterday because I want to throw DBD in the bin.

Its the anniversary event and killers are horridly sweaty.

I can play killer and be not sweaty and farmy, but I like playing with my friends and killer is a solo experience.

2 Likes

On today’s peeve, I wish people in my country could stop being hateful for longer than 5 minutes.

6 Likes

That’s every country. D=

I mean this time its someone new with a background from iraq, spices it up.

Unfortunately it is still a hateful thing he will be doing.

1 Like

I can on one hand understand his reasoning, but there are so many better ways to make criticism towards problematic aspects of faith or his country. All this does is upset everyone, and makes the smelliest population(the racist) really happy.

Especially since he didn’t just do a typical protest/just burned it and instead did some very sus things. He also took time to do it outside a big mosque in the capitol, at the time of their praying, at the start of a holiday/event, and also wrapped up all of the stuff in pork.

And also gathered a bunch of fashes to his support for it.

I feel like I’m missing context. What country? What’s going on this time?
I’m in the UK, so the news is always either transphobic, classist or racist. Be nice to have the variation of a different country for a change.

1 Like

See all I got in my news about it was “Iraqi man will burn a quran for the first time in half a year”.

None of these other stinky details or mentions of these smelliest people.

1 Like

This would be in Sweden, which has quran burnings here and there after Rasmus Paludan started doing it here in Denmark.

1 Like

Sweden. And a guy signed up for approval to burn a Quran on the most famous public square in the capitol. It got approved.

The full details is that he did it outside the mosque at “Plattan”(the most popular/known square in Sweden in the capitol), during prayer time. It’s also the start of a muslim holiday today. And he wrapped it in pork while saying some really suspect stuff before burning it. And alot of the co-protestors are members of the alt-right.

1 Like

Ah, I guess I don’t really care about organised religion. So it’s not a huge issue in my mind. But still a shirty and disrespectful thing to do.

Wait… you have to get approval to do hate crimes against religions?
Wait, people accept those?
I am so confused.

This big stink-pile did it here last year aswell. Which caused protests from the swedish muslim community.

In response to the protests, Ebba Bush, leader of the christian party said the police should have fired with live ammo into the demonstrators for disrupting the peace during easter.

Basically, you are allowed to make public protests/actions, but if its too bad, you’re obviously getting into trouble. If you apply for a permit for a protest, you are more or less scott-free as the police gave you permission to do whatever it is you do.(You have to declare your intention for the protest).

He specifically asked for the right to do all of the above and got approved by the local county police. Which is kind of an issue.

Burning books isn’t a hate crime or, really, even a crime*.
Wack? Certainly, but nothing near criminal or illegal.

*If you are the owner of these books

1 Like

I’d say I’m more on the side of, “meh” to religion… but burning their books is a terrible thing to do, it only serves to upset people.

But I’m going to guess this guys hatred for the religion doesn’t come from a place of a dislike of the philosophy behind beliefs forcing rules and raising people with negative outlooks and beliefs toward others. Eg discrimination. And moreso he just doesn’t like the people with different skin who speak other languages.
From an educated guess based on what you’ve said about the guy so far.

I was thinking from more of a sociological standing, rather than a legal one.

Obviously I’m arguing in swedish law/thinking here, but it can definitely. It’s not the action but the intent of the action behind it. But that is also hard to prove at times.

For a counter-example, burning the bible on its own is not a hate-crime. Burning it to deliberatly target/upset christians because they are christian & or while making derogatory comments towards them, would very much be a hate-crime.

Our previous events have specifically been in the second category. The one today the guy claims to do it to criticize the religion, but when Pauldan did it he openly admitted a couple of times that it was because of just sheer hate and spite

1 Like

Well as Aldru mentioned, today it wasn’t just an alt-right dude upset about people existing, but a man who escaped from Iraq and claimed to do it as protest towards the country and its leaders.

But he also did it in a way that impacts more common people+rallied together with others who just do it for hatred’s sake.

I just think overall its really stupid way of going about things, regardless of intentions as it only serves to atagonize people.

1 Like

I either have to wait till Vaush does a video on it, or see if any of the other channels I subscribed to and forgot to click the bell on have done a video on it.
My sources of news lately have been diminishing. Relying on youtube isn’t ideal, the creators very often turn out to be far less than ideal people.

Peeve: morality.
I hate morality…
I’m playing FFXII, there’s a bangaa (Lizardman) who wants me to give a package to his friend outside the gate.
There’s no reward, but I could sell it for a 150 gil.
Now… here’s where morality comes in… I can’t sell it, or I’ll feel guilty.
I’ll feel guilty, that I sold the useless item that the useless fictional lizardman gave me… Instead of giving it to his friend who doesn’t reward me.

1 Like

Apollo, seeing this post: Smiles in Prophecy.

If I were you I would take careful note of the most famous account of book burning, who did the burning and what specifically was being burned - all very important contexts in any discussion of book burnings

7 Likes

I believe Dekarn is just mixed up by the word “crime”, thinking of it only in a legal sense.
Legally, he can do what he wishes. It’s his property. And he even has a permit.
The way in which it’s a hate-crime. Is the intent behind it, the action, the reasoning. He’s not just burning a book in his back garden to clear space in his shed. He’s doing it to attract the ire of a certain people. And that’s where the issue lies.
To them it’s not just a book, but a message, a symbol of an important thing in their culture and religion. TO burn it, with hateful intent, to them, is a crime.

1 Like

To burn something in general is a very volatile thing to do. It is such a strongly specific thing and often, very much so historically, carries alot of weight to it. Usually bad.

It is a very absolute way to demonstrate strong, generally negative emotion towards whatever is being destroyed.

1 Like