Pet peeves: The return (Part 5)

tried to read the silmarilion and gave up

sorry tolkien but i’m a busy guy and there’s a lot of terry pratchett books

5 Likes

why would I read the entirely collected history of middle earth when I could instead read blue box and finally learn the answer to the question “can a basketball player and a badminton player fall in love?”

2 Likes

This is stupid. It’s so stupid I just… I know how insane the Tolkien fandom can be and it’s still one of the most jaw-dropping things I’ve heard about it.

I myself have never read any History of Middle-earth volumes, and I don’t really see the point in doing so. Especially not for the purpose of roleplaying in a video game.

I would be perfectly happy to roleplay with someone who has only watched the movies and not sweat the small details as long as they stick to the core themes of LOTR.

2 Likes

It is incredibly stupid. All it does is make people feel insecure about trying to engage in the hobby and community.

Same! I’d be happy to do so with someone who’s first experience with Lotr was Lotro too honestly.

I really dislike gatekeeping hobbies. It should be something you like and encourage others to enjoy too. Or at least see if they do. People should be warm and welcoming about it.

1 Like

Yokel RP, for a lack of a better word, is always the more fun angle for various reasons, mainly the deadpan stare it allows you to give people overloading your character with info about the wider world but it also leaves a lot of room for growth.

1 Like

This. This so much.

Frankly, Tolkien himself rewrote Middle-earth lore many times, and the fandom consensus, for lack of a better word, is a Frankenstein’s monster sewn from different era stories and drafts.

Say, is it too late to retool my in-progress fanfic adaptation of Beren and Luthien into an original story (do not steal)? I think that if I published it as I’ve planned it, the vocal fandom would destroy me.

1 Like

It is both really funny and midly stress-inducing to look up any part of Middle-earth’s lore and find the paragraphs where it says something along the lines of: "While it was written like this in Return of the King, in Letter 466, Tolkien completely rewrote this entire part of the setting, with his only reasoning for it being “it felt better this way.” He letter changed his mind again in Letter 799 in which he went back to the original with slight alteration because “it seems cooler now, IDK.” "

It’s never too late! Not even after publishing if you want.

2 Likes

who would win in a fight beren or luthien

1 Like

Luthien technically won a rap-battle against Sauron then danced on him and his master. So I will say Luthien.

1 Like

okay so now on my powerscaling chart i’ve established than luthien > morgoth > sauron > beren(?)

1 Like

“Luthien” and “rap” don’t belong in the same sentence.

(And IIRC it was Huan who did most of the work? She did put Morgoth and his whole army to sleep, though.)

Luthien would likely win initiative, but as a bard she would only have d8 hit dice, so it depends on whether Beren succeeds on a saving throw against her charm spell.

1 Like

Modern interpretation of Luthien to annoy Lintian: have her be a pop-star singer.

2 Likes

Luthien is Yuna from FFX-2

1 Like

Who

(looks up)

Okay, got it, now explain the joke

It’s a low effort response to Vixi saying Luthien is a pop singer, in stark contrast to what she is actually known as. This is also true for Yuna, who in the first game is a sort of priest like figure who summons primals (using FF14 terminology to help) and helps save the world, but then in the second game she is for some reason a pop star.

3 Likes

she decided that she wanted to save the world with friendship and also this gun she found

4 Likes

X-2 somehow managed to feel like a tonally consistent tonal break depending on the angle you look at it.

Can I borrow some blankets from anyone?

X-2 could have been a good game but my dad walked in while I was doing the Leblanc massage mini-game and my life was forever changed.

I think it ultimately led my parents divorce.

5 Likes

Cousin and I played it while aunt was present. Aunt liked Leblanc the best.

Build different.

2 Likes

I currently need all of mine because its so friggin cold, but I’m happy to share!

1 Like