Pet peeves: The return (Part 6)

sadly, I have seen enough lawmakers to know that a significant majority of them are, in fact, incompetent know-nothings

and that is the best-case scenario

4 Likes

My boss said she wasn’t gonna bother voting because politicians are useless and stuff they promise they’ll just go back on anyway.

Couldn’t really disagree with her either.

1 Like

Mass Surveillance is one of those talking points that very quick and easy for (usually) conservative politicians, because alot of people will have the “If you done nothing wrong you got nothing to hide” and it sounds like you’re doing something big, which earns votes and popularity.

It’s in the same camp as “We need more punishment of criminals, more jails and more jail time!” in that it will not solve the core of the issues. Those committing the actual foul acts will find other ways around it, and it will primarily just be a nuisance or hamper to the general population instead.

3 Likes

they love treating the symptoms not the cause yeah

3 Likes

My big issue with this is that refusing to vote only helps populists & those who want to make everything a whole lot worse.

If you got one candidate that promises to burn down orphanages vs one who doesn’t but seem ineffectual, not voting for the latter ONLY helps the former.

You should always vote.

5 Likes

They’re all of Leo, the internet is truly for cat pictures

1 Like

tragic to gloss over the EU’s lawmakers competencies like this imo

‘politicians and lawmakers are all useless, incompetent know-nothings that only make empty promises’ is thrilling and exciting populist rhetoric that will either get you elected if you’re extremely racist, or a cushy twitch reaction video streamer career if you’re left-wing (incidentally, getting those right-wingers into power through not voting is good for your tax write-offs)

‘they don’t know what they’re doing/don’t do anything/are useless anyways lmao’ is generally the stance that leads to people not really doing anything - how nefarious can something truly be if it’s written by people that don’t know anything about the subject and won’t be able to be carried out or have any impact anyways, after all

people that morally grandstand about not voting actually disgust me tbh

4 Likes

This is not only unenforceable, but will disproportionately punish smaller platforms that cannot keep up with all the legal red tape, resulting in further centralization of the Internet in the hands of giants like Google and Facebook.

The cyberpunk we deserve nobody asked for.

2 Likes

What I said above is also why people like the Fire Nation leader actively want people to see them cheat in elections with false numbers and ballot stuffing. Because they actually want people to feel its pointless to vote as it earns them more stability.

Even in countries like that, the more people actually vote, the more at risk the leadership actually is even if they try to skew it.

3 Likes

i chose my words, as i usually do, very deliberately - a significant majority of them are, which i can see with the in-depth perspective of using my eyes to see the laws and promises they make and the effects that those have

1 Like

I’ll always vote, even if I have a general apathy about the party I am effectively forced to support at the ballot, because the alternative is worse. Voting Labour/Starmer in the UK won’t stop me from being frustrated at how ineffectual and yikes they can be.

On an unrelated note.

My spellchecker doesn’t consider “dwarves” a word.

It’s been decades since Tolkien codified that spelling in fantasy context, get with the times!

https://lintian.eu/img/argent-dawn/dwarves.png

spellchecker is in the pocket of Big Warhammer (they are dwarfs there)

2 Likes

Oh absolutely. You can always be disgruntled and should push for more progressive and better change.

But you should never not vote, as complete apathy as said, only supports the status quo & or the worst option.

2 Likes

I think it is enforceable, but exactly through causing the second part of the quoted part, and a very good argument against the proposal!

Which doesn’t apply to the EU lawmakers imo, proposals are usually pretty well-thought out and designed with intent and with an eye for a possible impact - even if I disagree with them (@ agricultural policies…)

I sure don’t get excited about any of the options on the ballot here presently, but there certainly are a bunch that I know I don’t want anywhere close to power!!

3 Likes

My constituency recently changed and my new prospective MP is the platonic ideal of a blank placard with LABOUR PARTY written on it

which, unfortunately has not been a compliment for the past 9+ years which means my only real option is a protest vote

Speaking as someone who had to go over the EU Political and Legal systems and policies for their Diploma. Yeah. It is an incredibly complex bureaucratic machine, and much of it is undigestable to the average citizen (a very valid complaint with the EU, there should be a lot more weekly/monthly translations of policy in the form of reports/letters) but it is also an incredibly complex bureaucratic machine that, when given the tracks to run upon, is actually capable of doing an immense amount of good for Europeans and European nations (excluding agricultural policies and, at times, business policy which can swing between too lenient and too excessive).

A lot of people simply do not see the unseen impact of the work the EU does and the policy it put in place (which is another valid criticism!) but to say that its useless is just right-wing/left-wing populist rhetoric, usually from groups who have no desire to live in a moderate world/want their political vision to succeed at all costs.

4 Likes

People also easily forget that laws, policies and regulations(not just in the EU) takes time to enforce and put through properly, which is why its incredibly common to see administrations get blamed for something that the previous one put through.

1 Like

Without a doubt, one of my degrees is in policy/administration and I work professionally in a field where EU regulations are key, and the text products put out by Brussels are very clear, open, and descriptive to cover most questions one could have, but they’re also utterly comprehensible without reading through them several times at the least

this all tends to come down to my core ideological tenet: if a farmer isn’t whining, something is very, very wrong

yeah ‘EU Regulation gets issued’ to ‘implemented as a national law’ can take a, uhh, while

1 Like

Yes, there are things to complain about the EU political system, but it still achieves actual meaningful change, especially compared with the Fire Nation, where the separation of powers only exists on paper as a fig leaf to serve one guy who rewrites the laws as he sees fit (including rewriting election laws every now and then to eliminate any possibility of meaningful competition).

The EU is the worst place to live on the planet with the exception of all the others.

1 Like