Pet peeves: The return (Part 6)

I read about people deliberately running over turtles and it just ruined my day.

1 Like

Same with Lovecraft, a) the dude is dead BUT ALSO b) he tried to repent in the later years of his life and was sorry.

4 Likes

There are more important things for you to read in this very thread

It would take a lot for JKR to make amends - and I doubt that she ever will, because she doesn’t seem capable of realising how much damage she’s inflicting - but a good start would be sending some of those millions the way of Mermaids and other queer-focused charities.

2 Likes

She has done so much damage and material harm that I am not sure there is anything she can do to make amends

but donating a big chunk of her net worth to queer charities, publically disavowing her cult followers and then disappearing from public life entirely would be a start

1 Like

Becoming radicalised into hate is pretty common, but unfortunately being genuinely deradicalised is a lot rarer yeah. I say genuinely because it would involve making a concerted effort to fix the wrongs she’s wrought.

1 Like

In other news, I put a cut in the hardback cover of one of my Beserk editions because I wasn’t as careful as I hoped with the box cutter last night.

Its not noticeable but still

angry fae noises

I now have all remix achievements.

Next goal: Farm SoO. UGGHHHH I DON’T WANNA but I want everything… Pain.

I think what makes it less likely for Rowling is that aside from just being a generally hateful person(there was signs before), her big spiral is ultimately because of greed and desire for fame.

It feels very obvious that she liked the spotlight the series gave her, and she felt like she couldn’t be that center of attention anymore when it was over. So she began doing or saying anything to keep having attention.

I do not think Jowling Kowling Rowling can ever be forgiven. the difference between her and some of the other authors here is she has her nose deep in politics (she is still friends with known homophobe/transphobe Dame Emma Nicholson who i’m sure I’ve butchered the spelling of).

She’s not just “some author” she puts her money into transphobic policies to get them pushed through.

6 Likes

There would be a way to earn forgiveness in my view, but it’s pretty extensive. It’d involve some of the following:

• Publicly admitting and apologising for her wrongdoing. Not once, not twice, but consistently and openly in the face of challenges from her base of TERFs.
  • Investing a significant chunk of her millions into related charities and organisations who work to promote trans rights and healthcare.
  • Contrary to Koralash, I wouldn’t want her to disappear if her contrition was genuine. I would want her to reinvest the time she spends spreading hate into educating others on radicalisation and helping them to get out of that hateful, bitter pit.

None of these things will ever happen so it’s a hope in vain, but in my second-to-ideal world, that’s some of how it would play out. Of course, my ideal world involves her (and everyone else) never being virulent transphobes to begin with.

While I’m on the topic, I also do a big :grimacing: at anyone who says that they don’t care what she does/says because they like her books (or for whatever other reason). Just shows a lack of empathy for people not themselves and we do not stan such apathetic self-centredness.

2 Likes

Joanne “I’m not against trans people” however long ago.

Later

“I HATE THEM ALL!!!”

I hate her.

She’s also why I have blocked the trending on twitter from appearing. Sick of her name popping up all the time.

4 Likes

So there was this point in the series Lie to Me where Cal explains to Torres how the Monarch Butterfly is deeply poisonous and the Viceroy Butterfly mimics the Monarch so predators leave it alone (not true mind, the Viceroy is also hella poisonous)

At the end he’s like; “be a monarch, don’t be worth biting”

When I see people wearing Harry Potter merch, I often wonder if they’re wearing it because they’re raging terfs like their queen (The Monarch) or people who don’t know what she is actually like (Viceroys)

Either way, causes me to avoid both.

3 Likes

I cringe at even mentions of HP these days, which is unfortunate for me because people unthinkingly do it all the time

4 Likes

My friend (who is also trans) has to keep their mouth shut as their Viceroy family try to introduce their young children to the movies.

2 Likes

I block every subreddit for it (and there’s a lot), I mute every related youtube channel, and so on. Outta sight, outta mind – or at least, that’s the theory.

P.S. If anyone would like to add me on Discord I am now taking applications. If you have Vixi or Doublepeak on there they have my details. If you don’t, skill issue not my problem.

2 Likes

Application successful.

In other news aside my rage at scarring my Berserk manga-- Leo is yelling.

I never really read or see anything about HP outside of my two gay friends (that met through organising LGBT events) who are still really into it, me and a friend tried to bring the whole Rowling thing up once but it was a little awkward I guess especially with both of us not really being anything LGBT-adjacent

It’s still very big in schools (non-uniform days will see kids in HP merc, books are in the library etc) but it’s all very much divorced from its authors politics. So it’s not going anywhere, regardless of the authors views. Take that how you will.

I accept that that’s the reality of the situation (and no amount of my displeasure will change it), but I still don’t like it.

3 Likes