Pet peeves: The return (Part 7)

Mr Bug from outside hitched a ride with me and accidentally got kidnapped to the inside. Didn’t notice him until he used his stumpy little bug wings to get attention.

Relocated Mr Bug outside onto a nice pink flower. I hope he likes the flower and has learned that falling asleep on public transport can be very confusing.

My no more than two attempts streak continues with me clearing out Nokron the Eternal City and felling the Regal Ancestor Spirit in one attempt (though I was a slither from death) and the Valiant Gargoyles on attempt two.

I suffer from success.

4 Likes

I have a peeve! And I’m gonna quote Raynardo here but it’s not against you in particular, it’s just part of a pattern that have jumped to my eyes in the last couple of days and that I find obnoxious, of jumping, nay, diving straight into the worst conclusion.
“I don’t like Larian social media, they made a joke about wanting to kiss Gortash, clearly the fact that they’re not answering seriously our demands of romancing [a villain npc who was never intended to be romancable] is oppressive and cruel”
“Wow, Bioware devs saying they’re proud of the companions in the incoming game and that they’re the most complete ones yet is PUTTING DOWN the previous game companions!”
“A gaming newspaper not having more information than what they had is also unusually cruel and to purposefully mistreat me”

And the “predatory tumblr” because someone locked their account goes so much into that pattern that it’s bugging me. Also still think predatory is not the right word even if it was the website locking content from people without account (shtty, annoying, or "uuurgh " would be more appropriate I feel)

over the last week or so i got really into the manga vagabond. not sure how i never stumbled on it before because it’s right up my alley, i devoured it like i hadn’t eaten nary a morsel for months

now that i have finished it, i am empty. 9 months since a chapter was last released and it didn’t really “end” as such

what i did notice though was that the art reminded me a lot of a real gem of a game on the Xbox 360, Lost Odyssey. JRPG by the creator of Final Fantasy that was brilliant and I had a a lot of love for. turns out the mangaka of Vagabond designed the characters, so that’s why i saw the similarity.

sadly it just makes me wish i could play Lost Odyssey again but it never escaped Xbox and I don’t have any Xbox console anymore.

2 Likes

double post but idc

quests in elden ring are very arcane

there are people hanging out in roundtable hold that keep dying for no reason

this sorcerer guy i met in stormveil was a cheerful chappy but for some reason i came back to the hold and he was dead in his chair

edit: also blaidd told me he was going to meet me in nekron but never did. then my friend told me to check this location on the map nearby and he was imprisoned there.

HOW WOULD I HAVE KNOWN THAT???

3 Likes

I don’t get why people rave about Elden Ring’s story. The lore is wonderful, the gameplay is superb, the individual character stories are super interesting if you can do them without accidentally going off on a random adventure (which the game intends for you to do) and adventuring a little bit too far, ending up with what you’ve described. Especially bad in the DLC since there’s a huge payoff if you LITERALLY LOOK UP A GUIDE TO FOLLOW THE QUESTLINES THROUGH. But it’s not really a story-heavy game, is it?

Me neither. I can’t follow what is there at all. I don’t know why I’m doing what I’m doing or who any of these people are or what their motivations are other than just randomly turning up dead.

Luckily the actual game and the environment is so utterly enthralling that I can play it head empty no thoughts, just like my build, otherwise it would infuriate me.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/231170093734690816/1263115996248543262/w-expansion-v0-mn0sr9zr7ucd1_1.jpg?ex=66990ff1&is=6697be71&hm=68aea6d7e650feda2b564b4549acd53dc506ed5d9a76ea5d6b6aca08b559251a&

on a very related note, my dawntrail progress

5th DT Zone spoilers

gonna be doing the 99 trial later but the cutscene prior where you confront zoraal ja was PEAK. absolute peaktrail. peakwalker. peakbringer. peakblood. peakward. i dare say a peak reborn. i was expecting so so much to happen but i was NOT expecting the endwalker final duty riff’s to kick in for MY BOY vrtra to rock in. even prior to that, my every reaction to seeing estinien do anything remains the same. “god hes so &$^£* cool.”

also that viera bartender, melancholy and that elezen, shale have given me yuri brainrot the likes of which is greater even than the 7th umbral calamity. bros cooked and cooked hard.

https://i.redd.it/71g7npudofad1.png

elden ring questing is literally this

2 Likes

Idc what the soulsnerds say, any game that forces the majority of its player base to do third party research to understand one of its primary aspects is bad design.

“You can research it yourself in-game if you want.”

Yeah, but how many people will do that vs watching a lore video because they really liked the game and are interested to understand the story. I understand the DURK SULS AESTHETIC argument, but you can keep that whilst having a more accessible questing system. Doesn’t have to be a quests log, doesn’t have to be quest markers, doesn’t have to be long and elaborate cinematics. Just a bit more indication so that I know what I’m doing in the game and not finding out retroactively what the Tarnished are and why I did what I did.

EDIT: SPOILERS A HEAD. TRY DOG BUT HOLE (lol @ elden ring story spoilers)

Perfect example: in the second phase of the Godfrey fight, he goes NOW I FIGHT AS HORAH LOUX WARRIOOORRRRRRRR, which is an epic moment if you know who Horah Loux is and why it is significant. But for most people Horah Loux is the guy briefly referenced to in the opening cinematic of the game and you don’t naturally encounter anyone or anything that explains how Godfrey got chosen by Marika etc before facing him.

So the end result is ??? ok bro whatever you say let’s fight. And it is one of the better fights of the game. Same with Placidusax. He’s just a big old dragon. Same with getting to Farum Azula. It looks cool, but why am I here? How did Melina setting herself on fire get me here? And then by the time you kill Maliketh you learn about him guarding the Destined Death but the game behaves as though you were supposed to know this all along. OH THATS WHY WE CAME HERE, WE NEEDED A TOOL TO KILL THE GOD.

And then what is the Elden Beast, really? And why isn’t Radagon the second fight when he’s 100x cooler and the most impressive looking boss in the game?

1 Like

Just so you know, I think Akamito’s a new player and those are technically spoilers, even if the story is one of the weak points of FromSoft games.

Zanzibart, forgive me…

2 Likes

Added a tag retroactively, just like Elden Ring does.

Motherboard arrived two days early!

now I have to take my entire PC apart to install it. dang it.

4 Likes

problem with spoiling fromsoft games is the story tends to be so out of the way to find its actual plotbeats its questionable if it is or not.

consideration first ofc always but something something envrionmental storytelling so peak bros.

Todays peeve related to spoilers: Artists and horndogs who REFUSE to spoilertag their art and thirstposts because new NPC hot. ive not even reached the new raid yet and ive seen two of the bosses in copius amounts of fanart. yes yes their hot a spoiler tag would not have changed that ffs.

You’re right, however having read it before it was spoiler tagged I can legitimately say I have 0 clue what anything in that post meant.

Perhaps proving the point.

5 Likes

Honestly a favourite meme is ‘spoilers without context’ where you spoil major plot beats with memes which are incomprehensible to someone who doesn’t know what they’re referring to

for an entertaining version, the video for yakuza like a dragon’s theme song Ichiban Ka https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=1HjviSmv1Tc reveals basically the entire plot but if you don’t know what the plot is you don’t know what the significance of any of it is

2 Likes

the confused looks i kept throwing at people talking about “Y’shtola Savage.”

what i understand of the lore:

there is an elden ring, but i’m not sure it’s even actually a ring. it was shattered for some reason and it’s owner is gone or something and the fragments went to various demi gods of whom i have clapped 3

there are tarnished who for some reason all want to become the elden lord, which i assume means possessing the elden ring. i think they can’t die and keep getting brought back to life, but they are also being guided by some weird fingers in a cupboard in roundtable hold. the fingers don’t talk but are probably communicating through maidens, of which i have one?

there are kingdoms and stuff, but idk what any of their motivations are. there’s a guy in the hold who says he is all knowing and he explained a few things to me but honestly they went over my head

there is a man called the loathsome dung eater

https://i.redd.it/aszepknimfmb1.jpg

me everytime i return to the hold for some reason

2 Likes

I went digging and found some of my old (not used) sketchbooks.

One I plan on using for mock-ups for something special.

3 Likes

I would love to see them! If you feel comfortable sharing.