Playing hard casters is not fun anymore

The court fight in eternal palace is the biggest cancer for a caster like me.

I’m not complaining though. It’s fun.

But the fact that not only you have to move constantly, but azshara suddenly can decree that you have to use different spells and can’t use the same thing 2 times in a row. And as a mage who has to build icicles by constantly spamming frostbolt, It’s really really frustrating.

But still, I liked it. Good fight and it required a decent level of synergy to finish.

I thought it was balanced around casters having to cancel abilities more often because they do more damage just baseline than melee?
Like thats why 1 chaos bolt does like 500k dmg because they can only get one off every 20 seconds or so

Personally I’d prefer more insta casts, but obviously at the cost of slightly lower damage.
There is nothing fun or exciting about standing in one spot for a full rotation, moving 3 steps to the left and repeating the rotation, then taking 2 steps backwards and so forth.
Give me more insta casts, and bosses that drop AOEs all over the place that force you to manoeuvre around while flinging spells.
For the love of god, it’s 2019. Cast times need to go, except for really powerful abilities of course.

Im little confused by this statement. Did u saw any caster dps in m+ international tourney during s1 or s2?

2 Likes

Really? I just swapped target and stood still the whole fight except for when I had to do mechanics tbh. Azshara was worse, everything is behind a pillar all the time and boss is getting kited behind the pillar all the time. Only time that fight I had good uptime was at the start, after that it went south real quick.

I wish.

I do not know, in every single raid guild I have been in melee were pre-dominantly just tunneling the boss. Most of the time you cannot ask them to do any sort of mechanic at all, eventhough they are capable of doing them just fine. The only genuine difficulty I’ve felt melee has is some of the bosses are so big that it can be hard tracking abilities centered around the boss.

You have instant casts compared to range, and range have to handle most of the mechanics. It takes much more pre-planning compared to melee. This is coming from a melee main who is currently playing ranged due to raid composition issues.

It is precisely because of mechanics affecting melee that some fights are ‘anti-melee.’ Any sort of mechanic that prevents melee from stacking up will mean that you want to tone down on the melee numbers.

M+ is an entirely different matter. Players mainly bring melee because they have better CC and interrupt access, which you need a lot of in M+.

Did you just say M+ is dominated by casters?

Well…

4 Likes

He is talking about Eternal Palace raid. Mythic is not out yet so we don’t know how it really is for melee. But as far as Heroic is concerned Melee got it pretty easy. Some bosses have abilities that don’t even affect melee. Now, its quite possible that things will change in Mythic.

Also reading further, it seems you don’t understand why they prefer certain classes on certain fights during Cutting Edge race. They don’t stack it because its easier, but because of abilities those classes bring. Multi dotting, shaman ress totem(COS).Yes, they didn’t stack 15 retribution paladins on Uunat. But they didn’t stack 15 hunters either. Nor 15 Destro locks. Neither 15 arcane mages. M+ competitive scene is dominated by melee, not because its easier, but because of abilities those specific Melee bring.

Selling clue. PM me for price.

2 Likes

Yeah melee was so hard to play in CoS, especially on Uu’nat.

:^)

If we’re talking about the general player, then look at the 50th percentile instead - because the difference is more like 15%. That’s not an insignificant number, at all.

Not really, 75% is the default tier. Anything below 50% is mostly really bad players or someone who died near the end of fight.

Demo just have pretty high skill ceiling but you have pets which does majority of damage for you.

There’s no such thing as a ‘default tier’, and if there was it would be 50%, because 50% represents an average middle of the pack parse - that’s how percentiles work.

Also, ‘‘below 50% is mostly really bad players’’, lulwut? Again, 50% is middle of the pack, but do you also not understand that that number isn’t even representative of player skill? You need to look at ilvl parse if you want to understand how a player is performing, and even that’s not perfect (see, for example, the overtuned benthic gear)

You can’t make blanket statements such as ‘below 50% and you’re a bad player’ - if you have a 30% parse but a 65% ilvl parse, you’re playing your spec better than average but you’re slightly under-geared for the content

2 Likes

Yeah it is, 75% is the default tier once you go to wcl and select statistics. 75% is selected by default.

It is you who don’t understand that. This is why 75% is default because sometimes you die, sometimes you get unlucky during fight, sometimes you get assigned some special job.

50% percentile is not average. It is below average.

I don’t need to look at ilvl parse because the link i posted is from statistics. Unrelated to ilvl since this is for all classes, all item levels. Huge amount of samples.

Plus you also forgot that tactic, raid composition and fight length has significant impact on your parses - but all that crap doesn’t matter on statistics page with that much samples.

Nobody is using overall percents, its always the ilvl bracket. However in statistics it doesn’t matter so im not sure why you even bring that up.

I’m bringing it up because you said below 50% = bad player. I’m aware that we’re talking about statistics in relation to average dps, but it’s you that changed the scope of conversation.

As you rightly pointed out, lots of things influence a parse. That’s my exact point, which is why making blanket statements as you made makes it seem like you don’t understand how to read logs.

75% isn’t default - you could die in a fight and parse 30% but still have a higher ilvl parse. You’re working on the assumption that everyone who parses 50% is someone who died or had to deal with mechanics, but that simply isn’t true - that happens at all levels of ability and item levels. As you said, we’re looking at statistics - huge amounts of samples. 50% represents the average parse.

And, if you parse 50% when you COULD have parsed higher because you died, then that suggests you need to stop tunnelling the boss and do the mechanics. Can’t dps if you’re dead.

50% IS average. It’s the very definition of average. If you parse 50%, then exactly half and half of people did better or worse dps than you in a fight, which is why coming back to the original conversation, if you want to work out how much discrepancy there is between class dps for the average player, you should look at the 50% percentile, where there is a 14% dps difference between Outlaw rogue and Destro lock.

Yes, the 4% difference between the 50th and 75th percentile do suggest a higher skill ceiling for Destro - but 10% is still a pretty significant number, perhaps even more so if you’re parsing at that percentile and not bridging the gap enough.

I did and i read it and looked at logs me instead of you i can read logs.
I do logs daily just because of first week of raid some spec perform 10% IMAGINE 10% higher does not make your spec useless or unable to do anything.
Pretty sure there are and will be demo locks killing heroic even mythic Eternal Palace…
Just get good i have orange log as ret on my main on first boss then i have green on another fight ye probably not going to kill anything right??These alliance just shame 3rd faction for WUSSIES like you and be happy in your wussie faction.
Get good or stay bad.

I think that the “issue” with locks is that blizzard somehow niched each spec. Affli for raids, demo for M+, Destro for PvP.

On one hand I sort of like that, as it “forces” me on to play my lock in different ways, opposed to Legion where it was all about affli… gods did I get tired of that spec in the end lol

On the other hand, sometimes I wish that just one spec matched it all, so i would have less gear grinding and upkeep.

Can we please stop using this get good ?
You have easy to talk as a palladin .
The state of warlock is sadley bad
Atleast you have a dev for you’re class
One thats knows anything about palladins
Even our pet doesnt tank anymore half the time

4 Likes

Because of this I have canned my Mages. I like to play the arcane spec because it is simple but it has very little that can do significant damage, generate arcane charges and that you can cast on the move. Your main DPS spell seem to be nullified because of constantly having to move around or die. Tanks and Melee DPS used to always took on the boss and the ranged DPS would alternate between the boss and the adds that spawn from a relative stationary position. Nowadays it’s a constant re-positioning to get away from the never ending damaging stuff on the floor. You have no time to get into your rotation to maximize your DPS.

I guess you’re blind cause affliction is way way ahead of demo. What does demo brings to the raid do that affliction doesn’t? You’re not making any point except “ah it’s alright to do 10% less damage …” this is not just about damage, buffing demo doesn’t solve the problem.

This is bigger than demo lock, this is about low mobility hard casters and fights that obliterate them. It would have been fine, IF there were fights that favors them heavily. Like yeah, this is a heavy movement fight so hard casters are at the bottom. But are they topping the charts in low movement fights? Nope! This is exactly what bad class design is but I guess you have no clue about that. Just keep playing your class and just insult people around you I guess for asking for better class diversity. What a wonderful person.

1 Like